Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Are you intimidated by awesome MOCs?

NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
As I have recently come out of my dark age that was pre-maturely started when my folks split up and my mom sold my Lego, I have very much enjoyed building for its own sake. Especially with my kids. But even MOCs that I am somewhat proud of, or I am personally attached to pale in comparison to the huge, intricate MOCs that get posted here and elsewhere.

Therefore I want to share what I build, but am intimidated to do so. For one thing, my photos are shot with my phone on the table, not with an SLR in a light box.

Is there a "beginners section" for posting MOCs ? :-)

Comments

• RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    You shouldn't feel any pressure to meet some sort of standard. A MOC doesn't have to be some 5000 piece display to be impressive. Whatever you create I'm sure will be met with positive feedback. You may even get some hints or advice to improve and get even better. I don't even create any MOC's so you got me beat :)
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,287
    And now @vitreolum‌ you are one of my building heroes :-P
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBGothamConstructionCobobabricksAdzbadboy
  • pricey73pricey73 UKMember Posts: 352
    @Natebw‌ I don't get intimidated by big builds, although very impressive, I don't have access to thousands of bricks and parts (no bricklink account and have no intention of getting one!), I use what's in my collection.
    I've built stuff from twenty piece MOC's to twenty+ thousand MOC's.
    Go for it and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
    brickedinShibGothamConstructionCoMrs_WobbleheadandyscouseAdzbadboy
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    I'm intimidated (impressed) by the amount of free time people have to (A) sort their pieces and (B) create their impressive MOCs. I have a huge list of ideas of MOCs I want to create, and have gone through in my head how to create many of them, but can't find the time to get my collection of parts in order and sit down to build them.
    Andor
  • brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 470
    ^ most of my Mocs take months for that very reason I just approach them bit by bit but very rarely sit down for any length of time. It does mean that they evolve a huge amount from the original idea to the finished model. I'm doing a winter village moc right now that I actually started last Christmas.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    Like almost anything of merit, a great MOC takes time and work. Nobody churns out a masterpiece in one sitting, though it always appears that way to the audience. But the kindred will be able to see not only the finished product but the labor invested in it as well. It ain't easy, and that's precisely what deepens my appreciation of the end result.
    TheBigLegoski
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    Not at all intimidated. With the right amount of time and parts, I think most people on here could produce very good work.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 843
    An absolutely ideal place to start is the Mixels competitions here that come with every new wave - I find that being restricted to a specific parts set - and a small one at that - is surprisingly useful when it comes to MOCing your own stuff.
  • monkeymonkey Member Posts: 235
    I tend to like smaller scale MOCs, and instead of intimidating the best of those inspire me to try and recreate them lol. Almost like building sets but without instructions, and along the way I'd inevitably add my own touches.

I found this a great way to learn different techniques etc, and entertaining as if solving a puzzle. In time I hope to move solely to my own creations, hopefully in my own style.
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    OK, so I posted one on the Builder's Guild MOC thread.

I think many of you hit the nail on the head - it isn't so much a shortage of bricks, but a shortage of time that makes MOCs difficult to complete.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    Natebw said:

it isn't so much a shortage of bricks, but a shortage of time that makes MOCs difficult to complete.

Buuut...having a lot of bricks helps. ;-)
    jasorsidersddNatebwgmonkey76carlq
  • ArtfulDodgerArtfulDodger Member Posts: 105
    An idea that has percolating in my brain is to make Lego equivalents of the monsters in the recently released D&D Monster's Manual. My only MOC from years ago was rather...amateurish. I'm going to try to make my first monster this weekend and see how that turns out. I don't have too much in the way of bricks, but I bought a couple sets to get the pieces I need.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,545
    I moc trains, as the 'free-form' moccing is kinda outside my comfort zone - I need boundaries, somewhere to start from, and trains give me that, with the need for them to fit onto the track. I also like the challenge of fitting power functions into them, especially if I'm trying to recreate real steam trains, as that really can be a challenge.
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    I moc in the City style because I've grown up with those sets and I have been influenced by them, but I also like to make things accurate to real life if I can. Also minifigs are used for scale and sometimes for decoration in my mocs.

My advise is that mocs are your creation and not someone's interpretation of what you've done; the end result is meant to make you happy.
    NatebwAndorjackybrickGothamConstructionCo
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,410
    @Natebw‌
    No!

Never. Only full of admiration when they are good. Also 'awesome MOCs' can be a source of inspiration, giving you new ideas and insights into techniques to familiarize yourself with for your own MOCs.
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    I'm not so much intimidated by awesome MOCs, but rather perplexed.
    Where do they get all the bricks? All the money for the bricks?
    I know how long it takes to meld (sort) 5 or 10kg of bricks - where do they find the time?
    I work fulltime, raise a kid parttime. I have a house of housework, and section of lawns and weeds. I like to devote my free time to Lego - but can't scrap the thousands of hours these expert MOCers seem to have. Where do they get the time to work on these awesome MOCs?
    Their ideas and conceptual builds or plans - awesome! fantastic!No doubt they also use designer software (I'm old school; I don't).
    I'm jealous, of course. But my overriding question is one about time.
    Andor
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 277
    ^ The really big stuff can take months. I know people who spend years on a project... even the most awesome mocs may only have been worked on a few hours a week when the normal person, with a job, a family, a life, has the time.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,416
    To answer the original question... yes.
    Natebw
  • TLGTLG Member Posts: 125
    Hey, it still looks great:) Looks lIke you put a lot of effort more so.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Intimidated? No. I don't feel intimidated by anything much less something that silly.
    @prof1515‌ based on your past comments, it doesn't seem like you MOC at all.
    rancorbait
  • Big_SalBig_Sal UKMember Posts: 37
    Nobody has really discussed the photography angle yet, and one thing I've personally found is that even a small MOC that you're not entirely happy with can end up looking a lot better if you put a bit of effort into the photos. I only have a crappy camera, but some bits of white card and a cheap tripod, along with some basic photo editing, can work wonders! And taking a short time to present your model as if it's really good will make you feel a lot prouder of it.

That said, I do get intimidated by the awesome MOCs that other people make, even though I know it's silly. If I'd seen Blake Foster's complete M-Tron factory before I finished my similar but significantly inferior M-Tron mine I probably would have given up on it. But then I would never have received some lovely feedback and comments when I displayed it at a show and online. And I can always feel better about myself by telling myself the MOCs that I find intimidating are built by people with way more time and money than me ;)
    carlqNatebwAndorpricey73The_Mad_Vulcanjackybrick
    Natebw said:

If by "MOC" you mean create my own designs, I've made no comments to the effect that I do or don't do anything "at all". I used to design my own models with Lego though for just over the last decade I have confined my designing with Lego to digital models since I simply don't have the space to display the Lego-designed sets much less my own.
    edited November 2014
    prof1515 said:

Intimidated? No. I don't feel intimidated by anything much less something that silly.

prof1515 said:

Natebw said:

If by "MOC" you mean create my own designs, I've made no comments to the effect that I do or don't do anything "at all". I used to design my own models with Lego though for just over the last decade I have confined my designing with Lego to digital models since I simply don't have the space to display the Lego-designed sets much less my own.
    In that case, what were you calling silly in your last comment? I can only hope that it wasn't a dig at the Minas Tirith model above your comment or at MOCers in general...
    Natebwrancorbait
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 269
    edited November 2014
    Nope. That's something lacking in a lot of competitions. I once looked at the Lego entries at the West Virginia State Fair, most were built medium-size sets or really crude MOC's. The most embarassing one was a bunch of '70s parts that were just glued together in a garish monstrosity.

I am currently in a bit of a dark age. However, I've become really interested in combining my diecast hobby and my Lego hobby. I've been building buildings for use as display accessories. It's a LOT cheaper using my own Lego, than buying an HO, N, or S scale plastic or wood kit. Plus it allows me to decide the size, number of engine bays for a fire station, height, scale, etc.
    plasmodium
    cody6268 said:

I've become really interested in combining my diecast hobby and my Lego hobby. I've been building buildings for use as display accessories. It's a LOT cheaper using my own Lego, than buying an HO, N, or S scale plastic or wood kit. Plus it allows me to decide the size, number of engine bays for a fire station, height, scale, etc.

That's really cool! It's like Lego has come full circle since the 50's when they sold bricks and toy cars to make city layouts! Are you finding the bricks scale well?
    Andor
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 269
    edited November 2014

cody6268 said:

I've become really interested in combining my diecast hobby and my Lego hobby. I've been building buildings for use as display accessories. It's a LOT cheaper using my own Lego, than buying an HO, N, or S scale plastic or wood kit. Plus it allows me to decide the size, number of engine bays for a fire station, height, scale, etc.

That's really cool! It's like Lego has come full circle since the 50's when they sold bricks and toy cars to make city layouts! Are you finding the bricks scale well?

I scaled the fire station to fit a selection of Matchbox emergency vehicles, which varied widely in scale, from nearly 1:64 for the fire chief car, to 1:123 for the Pierce Dash pumper. I built the garage bays about 5 studs wide by eight bricks high, making an arch with two slope bricks. However, it did scale well with a 1:55 Siku Mercedes Benz/ Binz Type A ambulance. Now that I own a few 1:64 emergency vehicles, it will be 1/64.

prof1515 said:

prof1515 said:

Natebw said:

In that case, what were you calling silly in your last comment? I can only hope that it wasn't a dig at the Minas Tirith model above your comment or at MOCers in general...
    I find it silly to be intimidated by someone else's Lego model as asked by the title of this thread.
    edited November 2014
    prof1515 said:

prof1515 said:

prof1515 said:

Natebw said:

I find it silly to be intimidated by someone else's Lego model as asked by the title of this thread.
    I see...I think it's not that unusual to see something and think "I could never do something as god as that". That may be enough for some people to give up (as evidenced by the comments above). So, while that may be your opinion, it's not terribly nice to enter the discussion by saying that all the people who agreed with the title are 'silly'...it's probably more helpful if you give reasons for why you think it's silly.
    NatebwAndor
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    prof1515 said:

prof1515 said:

prof1515 said:

Natebw said:

In your first post You said you weren't intimidated by something "that silly", Not that you found it silly to be intimidated my a MOC....

In your first post You said you weren't intimidated by something "that silly", Not that you found it silly to be intimidated my [sic] a MOC....

No, I actually said this:
    prof1515 said:

Are you just trolling or do you really not comprehend?
    Andor
    Hey, calm it down everybody, this is just a LEGO forum...
    rancorbaitAndorNatebwTheBigLegoski
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 721
    ;-) Threads certainly take off in strange directions around here. I appreciate the thumbs up from LoTR fans for my WIP! Maybe I can complete it to a level that will satisfy me. I certainly didn't take prof1515's "silly" reference personally.

Not everyone has a high level of self confidence to expose their creative attempts to others. Many places on the internet specialize in "snark", but around here I've seen someone will find something nice to say about any sincere effort.
    EKSamAndorTheBigLegoski
    Yeah, it looks great so far!
    Eleanor Roosevelt once said that "No one can make you feel inferior without your permission." You can't let yourself feel that something is beyond your capability or that your best effort is not enough when there's nothing at stake except at most pride. Fact is that there are a lot of people in the world that are proud of themselves that are utter failures so if you judge yourself unworthy you may quite possibly be doing nothing more than selling yourself short. If you enjoy building models and you're not competing in some competition where you are being judged and you've got some entry fee or something at stake, feeling intimidated by the work of others just doesn't make sense. If you end up letting others dictate your happiness, you can end up with the result that Mrs Roosevelt warned against.
    plasmodiumAndorTheBigLegoski
    prof1515 said:

Eleanor Roosevelt once said that "No one can make you feel inferior without your permission." You can't let yourself feel that something is beyond your capability or that your best effort is not enough when there's nothing at stake except at most pride. Fact is that there are a lot of people in the world that are proud of themselves that are utter failures so if you judge yourself unworthy you may quite possibly be doing nothing more than selling yourself short. If you enjoy building models and you're not competing in some competition where you are being judged and you've got some entry fee or something at stake, feeling intimidated by the work of others just doesn't make sense. If you end up letting others dictate your happiness, you can end up with the result that Mrs Roosevelt warned against.

Why didn't you just say that in the first place? ;-)
    NatebwTheBigLegoski
  • mrfuturemrfuture NorwayMember Posts: 31
    When i came out of dark age with the modular houses, i was just building the model mode. If this was that i was Imitidated by the great models on the net or just no ideas to build something i do not know. But until beginnig of this year I did not build mutch.
    It could be that i posted one old Moc on Local LUG site. It catched little attension and after that things started rolling with the first event in the Lug i now member of. Now 3 Mocs after and 2 events, im still building and experimenting on building solutions.

So I think as other have wrote here that just build what you like. If the first dont come out as you like it, it could be changed later if you got new parts or find new solutions to make it better.
    My latest creation is still evolving even after it have been on an event.
    Andor
  • kyrotekkyrotek Southampton, UKMember Posts: 212
    I came out of my dark age only a year or so ago because I wanted to buy the #7965 Millennium Falcon to try and make into a model more pleasing to my eye. Unfortunately I have become OCD about keeping sets together and have ended up with a pile of plastic cases with sets built and deconstructed into alongside a massive pile sets as yet unbuilt. Therefore I never really managed to MOC anything but that's not down to feeling inferior, its more about time and space to sort and then design and build anything. Plus my OCD makes it difficult to part sets out to begin with...

Why didn't you just say that in the first place? ;-)

I did say it only using far less exposition.

AndorTheBigLegoski
    @prof1515‌ No, you didn't. The latter is a well thought out statement. The former is simply not true, unless you are a sociopath. Everyone is intimidated by something.

rancorbait
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    lol, off with his head!!!
    Natebwrancorbaitplasmodium
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 721
    @Natebw - Eleanor Roosevelt says post your MOC. We can turn this into the Not-Your-Awesome-MOC thread. @rancorbait and @vitreolum are not allowed! Their vignettes are inspiring me to work smaller with more detail. I really liked the snot-tan-base in the western one.

I was intimidated when I saw Alice Finch's Hogwarts and Rivendell. The number of rare color parts is stultifying. She also used plenty of Alt-Bricks. Did I read somewhere that some artists (Nathan Sawaya) and maybe "Alice Finches" get bricks from LEGO free or at cost? Do LUGs still get bulk bricks at substantial savings?
    Andor
    Natebw said:

@prof1515‌ No, you didn't. The latter is a well thought out statement. The former is simply not true, unless you are a sociopath. Everyone is intimidated by something.

There's a difference between being intimidated and fearing something. To intimidate is to make or compel fear and that's different than rationally fearing something such as death. Death does not intimidate; it just is. One may fear dying but not be intimidated by it.

For the record, I've stood toe-to-toe with an actual sociopath who had threatened to kill me and beat him down with a verbal assault that had him literally banging his head against the wall because he couldn't intimidate me with insults or the threat of violence. In the end, he was the one who was intimidated because he had an issue with intelligence and authority figures and was on his last chance to stay out of jail and/or the psych ward and he knew it. He didn't know how to react to someone who responded calmly to his threats by telling him he was stupid.
    TheBigLegoski
    @prof1515‌ OK, OK, OK. You rock, dude. You have never felt intimidated by anyone or anything. Ever. Not death or sociopaths. And not forum banter. Or war. Or your wife or girlfriend. Or thesis defense/grand rounds. Or door to door sales. Et cetera ad nauseum.

We get it.

But for most regular people, when they are investing time, effort and emotion into something, knowing that you will explicitly be compared to others that have invested 10 to 100 X more time time, effort, and emotion that you have, that can result, not in fear, but some self doubt. And that experience can be intimidating. As some have said on this forum, that is a good thing, because it keeps people some submitting total crap.

When I see people with displays of Lego that literally took years and cost $30K, I think "I will never, ever be able to do anything like that." It is intimidating to be invited to display at a major show, knowing your table will be sandwiched between those.

rancorbaitdejavuTheLoneTensor
    And for those, like @klatu003‌, who want to want to see the MOCs that I have made, you can check my MOC page here.

It doesn't have my biggest project - which is 3 Savile Row during the Beatles rooftop concert. While I am generally happy with it, it is very slow going, because I don't have a large budget for specialized bricks. It isn't quite read for photos. Not because I am intimidated. :)
    Natebw said:

But for most regular people, when they are investing time, effort and emotion into something, knowing that you will explicitly be compared to others that have invested 10 to 100 X more time time, effort, and emotion that you have, that can result, not in fear, but some self doubt. And that experience can be intimidating. As some have said on this forum, that is a good thing, because it keeps people some submitting total crap.

When I see people with displays of Lego that literally took years and cost $30K, I think "I will never, ever be able to do anything like that." It is intimidating to be invited to display at a major show, knowing your table will be sandwiched between those.

You can't know that they've invested more time, effort or emotion into something nor does that necessarily translate into a better result. Way back in college, a friend of mine used to get so frustrated because I'd write a paper in far less time that he would and I'd always get a better grade. What he struggled with came extremely easy to me. However, he was also incorrect in his assumption of how long I spent working on the paper. While it's true that I wrote it in a mere fraction of the time he wrote his, I did still spend time researching it and just sorting out my arguments, etc in my mind while doing other things. So, although he'd spend 200+ hours working on a paper and another 100 writing it and think that I spent less than 10 in total, in reality I spent 40-50 hours researching and another 10 writing it.

There are some large custom builds out there that clearly took a long time to put together but really don't look that good while there are some tiny creations which probably took very little time yet far outshine the massive ones. Overall, I wouldn't let it bother you in the least because ultimately it's all subjective anyhow.
    NatebwAndorTheBigLegoskisidersdd
  • The_Mad_VulcanThe_Mad_Vulcan SeattleMember Posts: 162
    Big_Sal said:

That said, I do get intimidated by the awesome MOCs that other people make, even though I know it's silly. If I'd seen Blake Foster's complete M-Tron factory before I finished my similar but significantly inferior M-Tron mine I probably would have given up on it. But then I would never have received some lovely feedback and comments when I displayed it at a show and online. And I can always feel better about myself by telling myself the MOCs that I find intimidating are built by people with way more time and money than me ;)

I actually prefer yours. Given, the main building could use a little more texture but I love how it seems to fit into the M-Tron line and then just pushes the boundaries slightly -while the other is more of an M-Tron future generation or a re-imagining.

Big_Sal