Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Your first LEGO fan community?

AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,980
What was the first LEGO fan community you were involved in? It can be a LUG, a fansite, or even the LEGO Message Boards.

My first LEGO fan community was BZPower, a major BIONICLE fansite. I lurked there for a while but didn't become a member until 2006, when I was 15 years old. It's still one of the fansites where I'm most active.

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,017
    edited October 2014
    The Usenet newsgroup rec.toys.lego in 1995. I don't quite go back far enough to have participated in its predecessor alt.toys.lego.

According to Google Groups my first post was in January 1995.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    This one :o)
    margotLego_Star
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 613
    My first fan community was BZPower in 2003. I was only 14, but had been following the site (and its predecessor, Kanohi-Power) since BIONICLE's first year. Lots of fond memories and postings from those early days of my online Lego fandom. Sadly, much was lost, including my goofball "comedy" saga, BORNICLE. However, I also joined Brickshelf around the same time, and I had been following that site since the dawn of the century. My original folder with my various little MOCs and BBCs is still public and a source of great pride and nostalgia for me.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    My first was the Brothers Brick. I was amazed by the creations and they helped to pull me out of my dark ages.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,950
    Right here. :)
    On the main site first, and then the forums shortly after they were created.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    It was Brickset for me too, and the forums slightly before they were created ;-)
    plasmodiumMaffyD
  • mrfuturemrfuture NorwayMember Posts: 31
    My first fan community must been ether Lugnet or Bricklink. At that time i found out about the AFOL and adults building with Lego, but it was not a few years later i realy got back into lego.
    Oldfan
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,485
    Unfortunately for me my first experience with Lego fan communities were groups on Facebook, which are terrible, unmoderated, spam filled places. Possibly part of the reason I love brick set so much, it was my first positive fan community!
    Lego_Starstlux
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 2,062
    Brickset was my first Lego group. I remember discovering it at college when I was meant to be doing a philosophy essay.
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163
    edited October 2014
    LUGNET. I joined Bricklink (actually BrickBay) first but have never really participated in it as a community.
    Oldfan
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    rec.toys.lego & lugnet at about the same time (c.1999), and then fbtb.net shortly afterwards.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,980

My first fan community was BZPower in 2003. I was only 14, but had been following the site (and its predecessor, Kanohi-Power) since BIONICLE's first year. Lots of fond memories and postings from those early days of my online Lego fandom. Sadly, much was lost, including my goofball "comedy" saga, BORNICLE.

Hey, I never realized that you were Bionicle Guru! I remember reading Bornicle back in the day. One of the few long-form BZPower comedies that I remember thoroughly enjoying, despite its inherent cheesiness.
  • VaderFan2187VaderFan2187 MustafarMember Posts: 15
    My first fansite was, I think, Brickset itself. I was building in LDD and needed a part inventory for a set I was building. Boom! So I ended up on brickset and decided to stay around. Then I lurked for a while on Eurobricks, then joined because I needed the link to the prelim 2017 Star Wars images. I've come a long way! :)
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 1,393
    My first fan community... Me, my best mate and her little sister. Place - My mates living room. Time - circa 1983-1987 (home in time for tea). Lots of Fabuland. Does that count? Ha ha!! 
    MaffyDcatwranglerMAGNINOMINISUMBRAstlux
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 687
    Online, it was probably Brickbay (later renamed "Bricklink") and Peeron, with a little LUGnet thrown in from time to time.  Brickset is by far the easiest and friendliest of the lot!
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,608
    Huw said:
    The Usenet newsgroup rec.toys.lego in 1995. I don't quite go back far enough to have participated in its predecessor alt.toys.lego. According to Google Groups my first post was in January 1995.
    wow, that was the time when you paid a small fortune for a few hours of internet with dismal connection speed.

that should be this site for me, unless buying on bricklink counts? 2014 for both.
  • DarciDarci USAMember Posts: 14
    This is it for me and I'm quite new here too!  Glad to be out of the DA!
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,339
    I think I signed up to Eurobricks first as I was reading a lot about bricklinking a few of the older UCS sets and there was a lot of info from members about how they had gone about it. Rebrickable and Brickset came next as I needed somewhere to keep track of my ever expanding parts and sets collections.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,894
    I think I dabbled in the Lego.com forums about 10 years ago, and then there was the Lego group on LiveJournal, but by the time I found the latter it had gone pretty quiet. Brickset is the first place I've participated regularly. 
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,281
    alt.toys.lego and rec.toys.lego in 1997/1998
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    classicspace.com for me then lugnet then eurobricks.  I never commented or joined until finding Brickset though - what can I say, these guys are my kind of crazy...
    starwars4ever
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 279
    I found Mocpages first and still like the friendliness of the place although it's a bit quiet these days, sadly... That was before Brickset set up the forum and although I don't post a huge amount I enjoy reading all the (usually good natured) arguments! 
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    RTL!  Wow it looks like I first posted on November 30, 1996!
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.toys.lego/petrasich%7Csort:date/rec.toys.lego/wPh0vZ7n0J0/yMB8T3aZfzwJ

Don't I feel old now!