The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

2014 Black Friday Sale

Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,391
edited October 2014 in Shopping USA/Canada
Has anyone heard anything about this year's Black Friday sale? I've heard that there won't be any VIP invitations to shop early, but will they at least have double VIP points for purchases made over the weekend?

I've seen a couple of comments on various threads, but wanted to try and consolidate to a single thread that can be easily found.

Comments

• 12651265 Member Posts: 928
    Yeah, I can confirm that there will be a Black Friday sale. ;)
    CaptainClutch
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,391
    ^With the way TLG has been paring down their incentives lately, at least that's good news.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,903
    Yeah, the store by me already told me that there will be a pre BF sale and invites will be sent out.
    The offer is supposed to be double points only, but supposedly there is some free gift that is supposed to be nice (and I do not think they were referring to holiday set #2, or calendar either, which Im guessing will also likely be provided if invited)
    Farmer_John
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 477
    Just my luck that the year I move to a new home with close proximity to a Lego store that they stop providing VIP invites and incentives. Of course, it might not be true, but we'll see.

Just my luck that the year I move to a new home with close proximity to a Lego store that they stop providing VIP invites and incentives. Of course, it might not be true, but we'll see.

It has been confirmed by two forum members and at least one LEGO store manager that the invites will be going out to those who are selected.. Now how people are selected, that is another story altogether. I liken it to the Bermuda Triangle... Everyone has their theories but most are shot down because of other evidence to the contrary.

I will add always that you never know until the first invite is received, which should be going out to those invited soon as the pre bf event occurs the weekend before Thanskgiving. So my guess is people will start receiving them this week/weekend as you have to RSVP.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,391
    Anyone receive a special BF VIP invite?
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,485
    5 have for my local store, not me though, its on one of the threads here somewhere.
    edited November 2014
    I have seen the thread for pre BF VIP invites for the UK.
    Has anyone received them yet in the US?
  • PatrioticKevinPatrioticKevin Member Posts: 10
    Just to clarify, many lego stores in the US WILL NOT BE OPENING AT 12AM ON BLACK FRIDAY, for example, the Danbury wont be opening until 7 AM
  • luckie_reubsluckie_reubs Member Posts: 299

Just to clarify, many lego stores in the US WILL NOT BE OPENING AT 12AM ON BLACK FRIDAY, for example, the Danbury wont be opening until 7 AM

Good for them; time for some sanity to re-enter into the Christmas shopping sphere.
    LegoKipnychromastone
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 552

That was very similar to last year's policy. They're like, screw you mall, we're not opening that early.
    From what I have heard the Schaumburg IL LEGO store is opening at 12am, but that is better than when the mall opens (8pm on Thanksgiving)
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,113
    The worst thing about that is it forces the employees of all those stores opening Thanksgiving evening to work all day on the holiday getting the store set for the ensuing chaos.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,283
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    I heard some stores are back lashing against opening on thanksgiving. This is big chain stores I am talking about
    TXLegoguywaynegg
    Well it looks like there could be a small train giveaway at this year's BF sale. I'm hoping for triple VIP, but I doubt that will happen. I plan to ask the manager when I see him this weekend.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    It is sad that stores open before 8am on Black Friday. That is when our Lego Store opens in Raleigh.
    Let folks enjoy Thanksgiving with their families and friends and support stores that are closed then. US Retail needs to give employees Thanksgiving Day off...period. Half the country is seriously sleep deprived with severe consequences. Our bodies are designed to sleep, not shop, in the middle of the night.
    If we need to buy more crap to put in our already jammed full, oversized garages, there are plenty of hours in the day for this. And it is criminal for parents to haul their sleeping children into a store or restaurant after nine pm. A shopping cart is not a child's bed. (End of rant.)
    LegoKipFarmer_Johnyys4uTXLegoguywayneggtruk
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,728
    legogal said:

It is sad that stores open before 8am on Black Friday. That is when our Lego Store opens in Raleigh.
    Let folks enjoy Thanksgiving with their families and friends and support stores that are closed then. US Retail needs to give employees Thanksgiving Day off...period. Half the country is seriously sleep deprived with severe consequences. Our bodies are designed to sleep, not shop, in the middle of the night.
    If we need to buy more crap to put in our already jammed full, oversized garages, there are plenty of hours in the day for this. And it is criminal for parents to haul their sleeping children into a store or restaurant after nine pm. A shopping cart is not a child's bed. (End of rant.)

So in the case of US Black Friday sales on at mad hours it is quite literally "you snooze and you lose".
    Yup. Fine with me! Do we really need a third TV that badly, especially since we don't watch TV but only a few movies? Do we really need a fifth sofa? And do we really need LEGO sets on sale that we don't want? Probably not. But I can't speak for everyone else.
    canon03TXLegoguy
    edited November 2014
    Black Friday at 8am I can se as fine with me. It is the 4-5-6am door busters that are annoying (particularly if it is a good deal and no limits). The real travesty is opening on Thanksgiving. I guess if store had their way ,Wednesday you would have your dining experience and you have two days to shop.
    IMO if you are a good store and have good prices you can open later, not earlier and people will still show up for your deals.
    The final part is there really are very few 'good deals' found on BF (or BTH) anymore. for every one truly good deal (IMO that is 40-50% off a big ticket item) there are probably 20 'good deals' where the price has been that low before during the year, but they are putting big labels up to entice you to come in even if you are not saving much.
    I'm not busting my hump for something that is 10-25% off that is not a big ticket item (and even then it probably will be that cheap after BTh and BF anyway)
    Nope, Aside from debating about the Walmart LEGO deal I think my money is saved until Cyber Monday and the week of, as I believe most of the better deals were then, not on BF last year.
    That and Ill be watching LEGO.com at 12am BF for their deals or if I want to buy to get a holiday #2 set
    I once had a bad dream in which I died and instead of waking up in Hell, I woke up in a BF sale line at a local Wal-Mart.
    LegoKipAndordragwit
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 394
    edited November 2014

The final part is there really are very few 'good deals' found on BF (or BTH) anymore. for every one truly good deal (IMO that is 40-50% off a big ticket item) there are probably 20 'good deals' where the price has been that low before during the year, but they are putting big labels up to entice you to come in even if you are not saving much.
    I'm not busting my hump for something that is 10-25% off that is not a big ticket item (and even then it probably will be that cheap after BTh and BF anyway)

Pretty much my sentiments. IMO, Black Friday hasn't been REALLY good for years, which is why I've stopped going out for them a long time ago. The same or similar deals would pop up around Christmas time again and/or online retailers would match a majority of the deals during BF. For those reasons, it wasn't worth my time, energy, and overall mental well-being and safety to battle the hordes at 3AM and put up with the ridiculous parking lot and traffic shenanigans. I'd rather pay a few bucks more or wait a few months longer for normal sales than to put up with that mess.
    Andoryoupunk
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 514

IMO if you are a good store and have good prices you can open later, not earlier and people will still show up for your deals.

From the EOL thread, keep in mind that many do not have endless resources to purchase everything that they want. Also note that the point of doorbusters is not for the retailer to sell just those items. Rather, they are the bait to lure in suckers consumers that they hope buy a bunch of other things that are on "sale" but still very profitable for the retailer.

A good store with good prices could open later only to find that the general population has already exhausted their budget. And while said good store will move their doorbusters regardless of when they open, the more profitable sales of additional items will suffer.

• mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    It sucks that people have to work on Thanksgiving, but for myself I get restless that day and want to get out of the house to see a movie or something. So I can see why the stores have started opening earlier.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,733
    legogal said:

Let folks enjoy Thanksgiving with their families and friends and support stores that are closed then.

Or we could simply let people do what they want. If someone decides their time is better spent waiting in line than with their family, they should be free to do so. The alternative is a slippery slope.
    legogal said:

US Retail needs to give employees Thanksgiving Day off...period.

People have the choice to not work in retail.
    legogal said:

Half the country is seriously sleep deprived with severe consequences. Our bodies are designed to sleep, not shop, in the middle of the night.

Again, let people do what they want. Should we regulate late-night studying in college or lobby for earlier closing times for bars and clubs? Where do you draw the line?
    legogal said:

If we need to buy more crap to put in our already jammed full, oversized garages, there are plenty of hours in the day for this.

Not everyone has a garage and not everyone has more "crap" than they need.
    legogal said:

And it is criminal for parents to haul their sleeping children into a store or restaurant after nine pm. A shopping cart is not a child's bed.

I've walked out of Target with my young son at about 9:30 PM on a few occasions, when we were busy and needed something (e.g. milk) for the next day. Am I a criminal?
    legogal said:

Do we really need a third TV that badly, especially since we don't watch TV but only a few movies?

I've got one TV, which I bought about 15 years ago. Maybe I want a good deal on a new one. Should I be denied that opportunity because you've already got everything you want?
    legogal said:

Do we really need a fifth sofa?

Similarly, I've got one hand-me-down couch from the 80s. Maybe I'm in the market for a new couch.
    legogal said:

And do we really need LEGO sets on sale that we don't want? Probably not.

Of course we don't need them. But I'm always on the lookout for cheap LEGO, because even if I don't want the set, the parts are likely useful.
    legogal said:

But I can't speak for everyone else.

Indeed.
    pcironetamamahmdougts
    edited November 2014
    The last really good BF sale (from a set purchasing perspective) was in 2011. I still get goose bumps thinking about it. ;-)

Here's the list for 2011:

Now the BF sale of 2012 was the best from a personal perspective because it was when I received my very first pre-BF VIP invitation to shop early. Not only did I get to avoid the crowds, but I also got to enjoy some great fellowship with my brother and sister AFOLs. Good times...
    brickupdate
    edited November 2014
    I need another tv, and I got plenty, always room for one more.
    It seems that TLG's year-by-year reduction of the magnitude of the BF sale would have to impact their Q4 earnings. The sales are just a lure to sell the non-sale items, and not putting out a lure when everyone else is will likely reduce traffic into the stores and onto the website. They don't call it "Black" Friday for nothing.
    edited November 2014
    I am just hoping to get into a fight for a $3 toaster this year! It is like my Uncle Ron always, said, "Best way to chase down turkey and dressing is serving up knuckle sandwiches at WalMart!"

[I don't actually have an uncle Ron or approve of Walmart fights, this is just how I imagine some people must think in order to act the way they do. Nothing says 'Thankfulness' like fighting strangers over crappy appliances]
    Just to let you know they don't fight over 3 dollar toasters. It is the 3 dollar crock pots that you get you in a brawl.

Just to let you know they don't fight over 3 dollar toasters. It is the 3 dollar crock pots that you get you in a brawl.

3 dollar crockpots.. year Crockpots are usually one of the crazy price items at the store on BF.
    Andor
    I just read Walmart start to match other Black Friday adds this Friday. Just in case there are any lego sets out there maybe you can get them early with out fighting crowds.
    edited November 2014

I just read Walmart start to match other Black Friday adds this Friday. Just in case there are any lego sets out there maybe you can get them early with out fighting crowds.

Thats the thing, I think Target's LEGO deals are all somewhat out of stock at other stores (which is why I'm guessing they are doing that), and really TRU is not doing much if anything for LEGO. The best deal actually is at Walmart itself with the basic brick towers that will be super cheap.
    ^Yeah Target usually gets a few sets that are EOL just about everywhere else each year, probably just for that reason.
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 418
    I'm interested in getting the Jek-14 fighter deal that Target is running for black Friday and I know that my local walmart still has those on the shelves. Presumably the only thing I would need to do is bring in a print out of the Target ad and they will price match?
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    ^The walmart language seems to say select black friday deals will be matched:

http://news.walmart.com/news-archive/2014/11/19/walmart-matches-competitors-select-black-friday-deals-one-week-early

The selections will be announced this Thursday for Friday's 8am roll out.
  • thenosthenos Member Posts: 345
    "Select Lego Sets"

Guess I wait until tomorrow to find out what.
    What time does Walmart update their website with the sales prices?
  • luckie_reubsluckie_reubs Member Posts: 299
    Ha! I got that Superman set on clearance at Target for about $15 over the summer. Now, you can't find it at ANY targets around here, but the Batcaves (which were on clearance at Walmart last summer) are full at the Targets.
  • waitingforlegowaitingforlego Member Posts: 29
    The Superman set is currently $35 on Amazon and Walmart.com hah!
    SirBen
    binaryeye said:

This list is from FBTB. I can't find it anywhere else, so take it as you will. The list below is sets only; there are also discounts on accessory sets, keychains, magnets, etc., but I'm not including those here.

50% OFF:

Seasonal
    #40091 Turkey

20% OFF:

Duplo
    #6759 Busy Farm
    #10513 Never Land Hideout
    #10561 Toddler Starter Building Set
    #10576 Zoo Care

MBA
    #20200 Space Designer
    #20214 Adventure Designer
    #20217 Action Designer

Technic
    #42005 Monster Truck

City
    #60020 Cargo Truck

Legends of Chima
    #70133 Spinlyn’s Cavern
    #70134 Lavertus’ Outland Base

Galaxy Squad
    #70704 Vermin Vaporizer
    #70705 Bug Obliterator
    #70709 Galactic Titan

Ninjago
    #70720 Hover Hunter
    #70724 NinjaCopter
    #70725 Nindroid MechDragon
    #70728 Battle for Ninjago City

The LEGO Movie
    #70804 Ice Cream Machine
    #70805 Trash Chomper
    #70806 Castle Cavalry
    #70811 The Flying Flusher
    #70812 Creative Ambush

Star Wars
    #75013 Umbaran MHC

The Hobbit
    #79011 Dol Guldur Ambush

TMNT
    #79122 Shredder’s Lair Rescue

Looks like the Lego BF sale is going to be pretty underwhelming! Wow...
    TXLegoguy
  • TXLegoguyTXLegoguy USMember Posts: 120
    If TLG added to this list the big sets that the UK had recently for 15 to 20%, then I might get excited.
    Farmer_John
    ^Yep. I wonder what is up with TLG killing off any decent deals on large sets in the USA? No sales, no discounts, no anything...
    TXLegoguy
  • BlueMoonUSABlueMoonUSA Member Posts: 116
    Apparently, Kingdom's Joust will also be 20% off....on BF and Cyber Monday.
    ^Yeah...they've had that deal at Amazon a few times as I recall. Too bad they don't have any sales on exclusive sets.
  • BlueMoonUSABlueMoonUSA Member Posts: 116
    I know right....gone are those days, unfortunately. Disappointing also that they're only offering 20% off on Galaxy Squad....Toysrus has been clearancing at 50% off and there's still plenty of stock.
    I can honestly say that there are no sets that interest me in the list. Not one...
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    What a disappointment.. I didn't realize how spoiled I was in years past with 10% off total order, 25% off retiring exclusives, holiday set, pab box, everything stacking with $20 off $100 kidstuff coupons, scratchers.. just wow.
    nkx1
    LEGO purchased today...ZERO. Ended up doing some sorting and a little building. I did find some sets I didn't know I had! Nothing attractive to buy on any websites for me. I

It seems sad that many folks in the US are forced to work on Thanksgiving even though they would rather not. Doesn't bother me if someone wants to work or shop today.
    Billybrown