Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

NYC Lego Fanatic and the 9ft Lego Tower

Hi all!

My name's Seth, and I've been a Lego addict since I was a small small child. I think it all started when my parents bought my brother and me a set when we were 3 and 4. Given that we were so young and the set was huge and complex, the dinosaur that it was intended to be never materialized, and the set just went into a bucket of Legos that became bigger and bigger with each passing year.

Finally, we all sort of out-grew playing with Legos, and after my first year of college I was like, you know what, I'm not going to let this massive tub of bricks go to waste! I wanted to build a thing that I could actually use in my life in college, and I made a list of useful things that I might want in this structure that could reasonably be built with Legos, and came up with: a cellar-like alcohol holder, a coin bank that separated coins and ejected one type at a time, a spice rack, a lazy susan for vitamins and other things I used every day, and a place to put my wallet and keys at the end of the day so I wouldn't misplace them.

In two weeks in the summer of 2010 I went hard and built all of these things, layer by layer, into one tower. I designed each as I went along, and contraptions like the coin bank ended up being pretty complex and required a lot of height to function, so the thing ended up being taller than me, at just about 7 feet tall! In the summer of 2011 I added a drawer and a complex new layer which had what were essentially small filing cabinets for storing money and cards, in addition to several small "secret" compartments that could be locked. I also reconstructed the spire to add height and to make it look more like the Chrysler Building. After that addition, it was just over nine feet tall! I made a video about it if you wanna see it here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SOgZozamASQ

The thing has survived moving into and out of four different dorms, which I accomplished by breaking it into three parts and putting them in between all my clothes in the car. After I graduated, I left it at my parents' house because I didn't think it could survive the move to Taiwan that I was about to undertake. Now I've finally settled in New York City, and I'm starting to think about the logistics of getting it up here ;)

When I go back to Florida for Christmas I'm thinking of adding a layer after three years of inactivity! Let me know what you think would be feasible and cool to add in :)

Comments

• superstarbeejaysuperstarbeejay Member Posts: 121
    That's cool. I like that you have just let the colours go wherever. Good luck moving it and building on it.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 867
    Nice tower. I think I could do something like that. Someday.