Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[UK] STEAM / The Great Western LEGO Show - who's coming?

2»

Comments

• Jabba_the_TaffJabba_the_Taff Member Posts: 220
    Up early for the rugby!

It was a nice to meet @DrDave, @atkinsar, and @Huw. If only too briefly! I'd meant to try to pop by again later in the day after I'd had a proper look round, but like @princedraven said, it went so quickly. And then my dad, who'd met up with me to have a look at the railway museum but become engrossed in the Lego, felt the effects of the heat in the hall! Apologies for not being more social!

I enjoyed the show even more than last year - spreading out helped a lot. Although the stores could still do with more space! (Oh, and did the Camper Van sell out really quickly?) If it was possible, the models were even more impressive than last year. I saw Westminster Abbey at AFOLCON in Manchester, but came to appreciate it even more yesterday. Cavegod's sandcrawler is stunning, as are his other models. Portmeirion is a lovely build. The hogwarts displays had lots of great touches and the riverside display with boats was a pleasant surprise (loved the building under construction with scaffolding.) But my favourite is this beauty http://tinyurl.com/6gdj9v9 I just love, love, love this little model of perfection.

One suggestion might be to have a timed build contest (assuming I didn't miss one!), the corner with the red arrow might have provided a space for this or the area of red bricks.

The three talks I attended were really informative and interesting as well, and perhaps they don't always get the appreciation they deserve. Thanks to everyone who had a hand in organising a great day.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    So looking forward to today! You won't be able to miss me. Tall, blonde, with my name on my back ('I'm wearing my Roller derby shirt). Say hi (I tend to respond to Savage) if you're there, especially if you're expecting a brickley from me!
    What a day! Absolutely lovely to meet so many of you! Sorry if we didnt stay to chat for that long. After a couple of meet and greets I could see nick's eyes glazing over (and I was well aware we have another day of Lego tomorrow!) also I was keen to get to Legoland for the last couple of hours (we got v wet in the rapids, And my niece and nephew were glowing with excitement!)
    The show was brilliant. Got mine and nicks mind buzzing (he wants star wars now, and to make his own space ships!) I just want to buy everything ;-)
    Great show, lovely brickset people. I can't wait for AFOL con :-)))
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,044
    It was great to meet you @all and put faces to names over the last couple of days.

Glad to hear you liked the show and appreciated our efforts, it makes it all worthwhile!
  • Bluefox1966Bluefox1966 UKMember Posts: 360
    ^ Sorry I missed you @Huw ( I think you were at lunch) Nice to have met Savage_Steel and Dr Dave. Great show
  • sirrich69sirrich69 Member Posts: 518
    A great day

Met @huw, @DrDave @Savage and cavegod. Thanks for the trades savage.

@bluemoose, came looking for you, but was told you had gone for lunch.

Did not have enough time, but everything was very impressive, Was there a survey for the best exhibit? If there was I did not see it, plus they were all just fantastic It would have been hard to choose, certainly for me.

Seeing the mini modulars and the campervan in the flesh, was great and I think I am going to get both of those after seeing them.

Hopefully DrDave and I have persuaded CaveGod to join the brickset clan, his MOC's are truely amazing. He opened up the sancrawler for me to have a look in. Wow!!!

The best quote of the day and I suppose you had to be there. I asked Cavegod "How did he start with the sandcrawler" clearly not the correct question to ask. To which he replied "Well I started at the bottom". Lots of laughter. Like I say you had to be there.

• cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 811
    Happy now i am here??!!

:-)
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,764
    Welcome on board.
    Have to say I have so much respect for you.
    Your creations are breathtaking, true work of art. Thanks so much for showing them!
  • cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 811
    Thankyou, and thanks for all the comments, im off to build!

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,732
    ^ LOL ! Good to see you're finally on here, Pete - resistance is, as they say, futile.

Good luck with building what we discussed earlier - hope you can pull it off as it'll be massive....

• DuchessaDuchessa Member Posts: 287
    I'm definitely considering going next year - this seems like a great event for AFOL's!
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    Sorry I missed a few of you; I was a bit 'heads-down' at times, trying to keep things running smoothly, & trying to keep everyone happy :-)

It was a great show; Jamie & Morten (Berard & Graff-Wang) were fabulous additions & great with the fans & visitors to the show. Seeing the Mini Modulars & Kingdoms Joust sets 'in the flesh' was a great bonus too - I spent a fair chunk of the weekend baby-sitting them (and the VW Van), & keeping little fingers at bay!

^ You should come next year. It'll be a great show again.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,732
    edited October 2011
    I posted a STEAM review of sorts on my blog earlier this evening, so those that didn't make it can now see some of what they missed......!!

http://gimmelego.blogspot.com/2011/10/one-year-on.html

See, we told you it'd be awesome !

;-)

@Matthew, some Harry Potter diorama pics on there, as requested by your good self.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,258
    Nice review Dave, best STEAM ever!!
  • warrenelsmorewarrenelsmore Member Posts: 77
    It was really great to meet alot of you - @atkinsar, @savage_steel and @lostintranslation plus (probably!) many more. I've just posted my pics to http://www.flickr.com/photos/warrenelsmore/sets/72157627692920425/

Now all I need to do is to disinfect my Camper van ;-)
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    ^^ Ditto - very good.

^ Yeah, you might find a small grease stain on the curtain - sorry about that! :o)
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    ^^ it was very good of Naomi to lend me your camper van ... sorry about that, but it was insanely popular. Hopefully there will be a load of custom versions at STEAM 2012, or even earlier, at AFOLcon 2012. Should make for a great display ... maybe even worthy of a competition ('best camper in show') ...
    @bluemoose, :-D I don't mind. I had the feeling that very thing might happen and it attracted alot of interest. Now, a custom camper display - there's an idea!
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, you might find a small grease stain on the curtain - sorry about that! :o)
    @warrenelsmore, you do know I didn't really leave a stain don't you?

Great blog post DrDave. But it really does show how seeing things in person makes such a difference. Not that your pics are bad, but it's just not the same as being able to look at something for ages and spot the nuances in the build.

Also, thanks @rich69 for the Neptune Carrier. While I was away in Bristol, Nick came home and built it on his own (then showed it me as soon as I walked in the door). A really ace set, LOTs of playability, especially at the bargain price you let me have it at. Cheers!

Can't wait for AFOLCon! Are there no shows before then?
    @flump6523 I guessed not, but seeing as the camper van is in a box somewhere, in another box, in a container, at our storage depot - I couldn't really tell :-) @bluemoose and I had been joking about disinfecting it as there were so many kids who wanted to pick it up, that's all!!