Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Promoting user reviews to the homepage news

We should add user reviews to the news.

First of all, if this works, we'll need quality. There should be a suggestion topic on the forums or some way to contact someone about your review. To get quality we'll need a review base, lets just say that we'd take the one i use for my reviews (http://brickset.com/reviews/author-WoutStopmotion), explaining each part of my rating. Optionally, reviews submitted will also need pictures to accompany it and make it more interesting.

I'm kinda tired so sorry for the crappy explanation.

Comments

• andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,649
    To refer to road plates as 'the best set ever made', I must assuming you're joking, or trolling.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    edited October 2014
    andhe said:

To refer to road plates as 'the best set ever made', I must assuming you're joking, or trolling.

Did you read the whole review? It's pretty obvious he's joking. But that doesn't invalidate his other reviews or his suggestion here, so I'm not sure what your point is?

And, @WoutStopmotion‌, we do frequently have reviews on the front page. But I see what you mean - they're always by the Brickset team. But how else would they decide on who's reviews to post?

Would the author request their review to be posted? I can see the admins not being over-enthusiastic about that - for every decent request they get, they'll get 10s or 100s of awful ones.

Or would the mods ask top-rated reviewers to post 'guest reviews'? Or do the mods just pick older reviews to feature?

Are these for new/upcoming sets, or any? Because what's to stop people from just searching for a set they want and looking at the reviews there?

I don't want to sound rude with all these questions, I'm just curious.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,551
    I like the idea of highly rated reviews getting a slot somewhere on the homepage. Like the old random set feature, but with more content.
    plasmodium
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,357
    Couple of potential problems: not many people bother to rate reviews and thus 'highly rated' ones are few and far between, and don't change often.

I'm all for showing more user reviews on the home page somehow but I don't think it would be appropriate to mix them up in the news stream.
    edited October 2014

andhe said:

Did you read the whole review? It's pretty obvious he's joking. But that doesn't invalidate his other reviews or his suggestion here, so I'm not sure what your point is?
    My point would be that if a review doesn't hook me early on, then I'm unlikely to read the rest or take the reviewer seriously. To put forward an idea of promoted reviews, but link to a 'joke' one doesn't really give the suggestion much credibility.
    plasmodium
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    andhe said:

andhe said:

My point would be that if a review doesn't hook me early on, then I'm unlikely to read the rest or take the reviewer seriously. To put forward an idea of promoted reviews, but link to a 'joke' one doesn't really give the suggestion much credibility.
    Ah, I see where you're coming from. In fairness, it was a list of all his reviews, and only the first one was a joke.
    andhe
    Yes, apologies, I probably could have worded my concern my eloquently. But well you know, internet.
    plasmodium