Please test the new improved filtering mechanism

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,439
In the survey there were a lot of comments about "I don't like having to clear a filter before setting another" which I described here as follows:

"You know the problem.. you're browsing 2014 sets. You change the theme to Agents. Then, if you want to look at 2014 Chima sets you need to clear the Agents filter before you can select Chima. "

As it happens I did try and solve this problem before the new site was launched but couldn't figure out how to get it working without unduly loading the database and confusing the interface.

So I've spent a few days finishing it off and I'd now like you to test it and feedback what you think. I've reinstated a development web server for this purpose, at http://dev.brickset.com/sets.

When browsing a theme,

- the theme 'tag' will be a drop down that allows any other theme to be chosen.
- when you choose a year or subtheme, the 'tag' will be a drop down to allow other years or subthemes for the theme to be chosen

When browsing a year

- the year 'tag' will be a drop down that allows any other year to be chosen.
- when you choose a theme the 'tag' will be a drop down to allow other themes for the year to be chosen

When you choose multiple filters or any of the other filter options like category and collection, the tags revert to normal because doing anything else is far too complicated and I suspect such use will be minimal compared to theme/year browsing.

Please check it behaves as you'd expect it to, subject to the limitation above. If so, I'll push to the live server in a few days.

Thanks

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,446
    Seems to work fine for me.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    I'm finding that I can select eg: Aquazone, then 1998 and am still able to change those two filters. If I then select eg: Aquasharks I'm not able to change the year but I can still change Aquazone to eg: Ben 10, which obviously doesn't return any results for 1998 and Aquasharks.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    I've seen a couple things. First Image I'm not sure what caused it I was just clicking around.

Second one I chose Batman as a theme, then 2008 as a year, then changed theme to Marvel SH and it put the year first without the ability to choose a new theme.

Third one, I change the year to 2015 from where I was in the second one and it swapped position but then didn't give the drop down option for the year.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,439
    Good catch, I've had a crack at fixing it, it wasn't straightforward but I think it works as expected now.
    ^ Now when I do Batman -> 2008 -> Marvel SH I get that first picture with Marvel SH on a line above the other selectors and no year selected.
    edited October 2014
    I think that's because it keeps all the selectors together on one line so of they don't fit next to Marvel SH (which is longer than on the current site due to the drop-down) that's what happens

On this one http://dev.brickset.com/sets/theme-Marvel-Super-Heroes/year-2013 they do fit (if you are not logged in and thus have no 'my colletion' selector) so they are on the same line.
    ^ I totally overlooked that that was subtheme. I thought it was showing both the Marvel SH box and the "Theme" selector box which I was thinking was redundant.
    Doh :-)