Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

prof1515: Brief Profile

prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
edited May 2011 in Introduce yourself
Name: J--
Profession: Ancient Historian
Years Collecting: 1980-2003, 2007-present
Total Sets in Collection: 600+ dating from 1980 through present, approximately 60% of them MISB
Favorite Past Themes: Town, Adventurers, Indiana Jones
Favorite Present Themes: City, Pharaoh's Quest, Star Wars
Least Favorite Past Themes: Bionicle, Ben 10, Galidor
Least Favorite Present Theme: Hero Factory
Non-Lego Interests: History, anthropology, film, literature, writing, designing computer games

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,547
    Nice and concise, but 400 sets MISB! That's not right! LEGO is for building and playing with, isn't it?
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    The 600+ is a conservative figure. I quit counting at 600 and know there are hundreds more not counting multiples of many sets (as many as a dozen of some). I simply don't have room to display them all, especially multiples so they're still MISB in storage.

If I had to guess taking multiples into account, I'll say well over 1000 sets in all but I couldn't give an exact figure without spending far more time than I care to taking stock of every one.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,547
    I have something like 2000 different sets, but usually only one of each and 90% of them have been built.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited April 2011
    ^^ that's what Brickset is for right, c'mon log your sets and let us see, you know you want to really!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,380
    edited April 2011
    ^^ that's what Brickset is for right, c'mon log your sets and let us see, you know you want to really!
    Seconded - it should be a condition of admission to the forum that members (1) have to log their sets on Brickset and (2) make that list available to other members. How else am I going to find someone with a Statue of Liberty to sell ? Not to mention those blasted Brickmaster exclusives. :-))

Here's an incomplete run-down of what I've marked so far. I haven't actually finished going over all of the themes and noting every one I have and how many (in some cases, I'd probably have to check and see how many I have of some sets since I'm uncertain). However, so far this is what I have catalogued even though it's nowhere near complete:

Sets You Own
    You own 618 sets (374 different).

View the sets you own
    View the sets you own that you rated:

Not yet reviewed
    We have piece counts for 338 of them. Using that data we have calculated that you own 88809 pieces!

We have retail prices for 325 of them. Using that data we have calculated that their total retail value is US$9439.

For the record, I have neither the Statue of Liberty nor all of the Brickmaster exclusives so you're out of luck. In fact, I only have a handful of the Brickmaster exclusives.

edited April 2011
    I find that $9439 figure funny. I've spent more than that on Lego in the last 3 years! Heck, I spent $2900 in November and another $1000 since then.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,380
    It's scary to realise that according to Brickset I have around a quarter of a million pieces of LEGO in my house right now, and that's an under-estimate given that I still have about 30 sets to upload onto the database.....
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    prof1515, you listed your occupation as ancient historian. Do you mind if I ask what your specific field is?
    Roman history, late 1st and early 2nd century CE
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    If you don't mind sharing, why did you take a 4 year hiatus from what has otherwise been a lifetime of collecting?
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    Very fascinating!!! I deal a lot with Prehistoric North American history. I've always been interested in the history of cultures worldwide but Roman history has been one of those I keep meaning to find time to study more.
    I had fallen behind in collecting in 2002-2003 as I finished my degree and then was in a near-fatal auto accident shortly afterwards. Recovery from the accident and health issues that followed for a few years occupied my attention far more. It wasn't until I was fully recovered that I returned to collecting though I have yet to finish making up for the lost years.
    @Kor: I minored in anthropology as an undergraduate and had several courses in North American, Central American and South American archaeology including a couple spring breaks spent in a van touring Mississippian sites throughout the Southeastern United States.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    @prof1515: Sorry about your health issues, although I'm glad to hear you say that you're fully recovered. I'll echo the sentiment of others that we would love to see some photos of 400+ MISB vintage sets!
    edited April 2011
    Wouldn't be much to see. To keep them safe they're stored in sealed containers with packing material around them to prevent nicks and dings to the boxes. All you'd see would be stacks of cardboard boxes and plastic storage bins lining entire walls and filling closets. :-)