Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Unusually high number of sold out sets on Lego.com

It looks like a real inventory problem at Lego. Grand Emporium, Town Hall, and Pet Shop all sold out, with only Pet Shop showing a future ship date. And a large number of the new Arctic City sets currently sold out (with 30 day ship dates).

Grand Emporium has had several "false starts" to EOL over the summer, where it looked finished, only to come back on-line. I wonder if the same will happen with Town Hall.

I regret having missed the full sized Tumbler and Exo Suit in early August but it looks promising that we'll get a chance at those in 2015.

I'm guessing that the reason for all this is a surge in popularity of Lego in general.
TXLegoguy

Comments

• TXLegoguyTXLegoguy USMember Posts: 125
    edited October 2014
    I have noticed that too. Surprised how the Haunted House went so early and the Tumbler also. But then you have sets that have been out 3 to 6 years on there, hmmm. They are missing out on alot of sales from several sets, that's for sure.
  • enotogaenotoga Member Posts: 133
    Yes, the Haunted House was a shocker to me. Also, the Sopwith and Batcave caught me by surprise. I'm guessing the VW Van and Tower Bridge days are numbers too.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,479
    TH was back to being available but on back order, now it is Sold out again. For what it is worth, the TH price point is a bit prohibitive for those wants this mod, but guessing it will be back (at least when I went to my local LEGO store they still had them in stock, forgot to ask if they are gone there).
    HH is no surprise, it is near the 'typical' EOL date.
    GE is likely gone for good one way or another by end of this year.
    Batcave should be no surprise either, as I believe it has also been out for at least 2 1/2 years. From what I hear HE may be on its way out this year as well.
    TB I'm guessing is also on its way out.
    Now, If Arkham Asylum goes this year, that would be a bit of a surprise.
    From sources in other threads, it sounds like the VW is round for another year, same with DS as well.

Sets have moved between these states in the recent past, so it is not too surprising.

As for production sets being out of stock on backorder, or even listed as 'sold out'. From what I hear, this is because LEGO makes sets in batches, and if they sell out of their existing stock, then it is on back order.
    I think if the stocks cannot be replenished within 1-2 months of what their sold date would be, they are listed as 'sold out' until they can make them to satisfy orders within a certain time allotment from sold on date. Temporary out of stock is a new one that you see with the Idea exo-suit set, but not sure how that will translate into 'standard' sets.

RI, as others reported, will be back in stores only, not online from what I and others have heard, but again they had to go back to make more from 'scratch'

A set is sold out officially for me when it appear on LEGO's site with the 'retired product' tag on the listing otherwise you have to go by how long the set has been out in relation to its 'sold out' status IMO.
  • CancanCancan Member Posts: 31
    I'm surprised by HH, only because I thought they'd keep it around til Oct. 31 to get one last season of Halloween sales.
    TXLegoguyenotoga
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,271
    ^ They can't just "keep around" something they don't have stock of. They probably didn't expect it to go so soon and their production is probably filled with all the other sets they're ramping up on for Christmas and couldn't have made more if they wanted to. Honestly a few extra sales on HH will be pennies compared to the kid targeted sets their production lines are probably filled with for Christmas.
    BumblepantsmadforLEGO
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    I just ordered the Town Hall a few days ago. It was shown as sold out at the Online LEGO Shop, so I called in and I was able to place a back-order. I was told it will be back in stock on the 13th of this month.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    The Tumbler is not gone...just currently being sold as an in-store exclusive set. I'm betting it will be on [email protected] again in the next few months.
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 516
    Cancan said:

I'm surprised by HH, only because I thought they'd keep it around til Oct. 31 to get one last season of Halloween sales.

The conspiracy theorist portion of me wants to think LEGO is sitting on a small stash of HH that will be offered late October. Early enough to build, but late enough that "quick flipping" isn't possible.

Or maybe that's just what I'm hoping. ;)
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,625
    ^^ I was told by the GM at the Lego store that the Tumbler will be back in store soon but will not come back online.
  • enotogaenotoga Member Posts: 133
    I've only been following Lego closely since 2012 and it seems that since then the number of individual sets has increased dramatically, and the marketing has gotten more savvy. The Arctic sub-theme and Mixels are good example. Even the Duplo and Friends lines seem to have expanded quite a bit.

I was attracted to Lego initially from the investment angle, but I soon fell back in love with the product I knew as a kid. It just keeps getting better and better, and even when they make a misstep, Lego is nimble enough to keep this freight train running strong. Amazing, most of their strategies have been great - like the movie.

Here's what I've been wondering - how will the investors impact Lego. Investors defined as people who buy sets at retail to resell on the secondary market. My opinion is that Lego investing is still in its infancy and hasn't even formed a blip on the radar of supply and demand. I say this mainly due the amount of information returned on simple google searches on investor targeted sets (modulars for example). Try googling for up-to-date info on the topics we discuss on these forums and nothing meaningful comes up. That tells me that lego investing is still flying far below the radar.

For example, I've heard it said that you'll never make any money on the Death Star because everybody has 10 of them in the closet. I don't believe that the number of people involved in Lego investing at this stage could have any real impact on the secondary market. I think there has been one Prime-Time article on Lego investing that hit USA today and that was a few years ago - nothing since. The average Joe is clearly "not" on board at this time - in my opinion. If true, this should be great news for anybody hoping to make a profit by serving the secondary market.

• CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 547
    Didn't this happen last October? Everybody waits to make their "Exclusive" set purchases until October 1st. Then [email protected] sells out of all the "Exclusives" for a couple weeks then they refresh the stock and everything is back to normal? Doesn't this happen on May the 4th for Star Wars exclusives as well?

I've tried to dig back through the forum to find proof, but can't find it...
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^I recall the SSD was OOS for the last May 4th.