Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Damaged Boxes at Lego Stores

Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the Lego set boxes in the B&M stores appear to be damaged more than would typically be expected coming from the manufacturer's own store? I can understand TRU, Target ,Walmart, B&N, etc. having dinged up sets with all the handling, but not Lego. This seems to be especially true with the larger sets. Every set I looked at above $100 was obviously crunched, creased, dented, or some combination thereof. The other day I went in to try and pickup a decent copy of the UCS X-Wing and I could see that even the sets out of reach for taller people were banged up.

The reason I bring this up is that I'm beginning to wonder if the Lego stores are where the returns are recycled. It used to be that TLG would provide discounts on damaged boxes, but that is no longer the case. I don't have a problem with TLG recycling sets in this fashion other than I often wonder (as I do with box store purchases) whether or not a set has been tampered with (without opening it). And for those of us who like a "clean" box, the Lego store no longer appears to be an option.

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,343
    Try asking for one out of the back or pulling the one from the back of the shelf. I think they often just get abused by kids handling them, especially the bigger ones.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    ^Actually I searched through every set they had that I was interested in. It was easy enough to find the smaller sets in good condition, but not a single larger set was undamaged (including the sets out of the reach of kids and adults). I've noticed this the last 2-3 times I've gone into the store. I guess the best way to get larger sets from Lego is through [email protected]
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    many of them actually are damaged in shipping to the stores. LEGO often uses Fedex to delivery stock from warehouse to stores, in which case the shipping boxes are just sent loose, not bundled into pallets which provide overall better protection
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    edited October 2014

It used to be that TLG would provide discounts on damaged boxes, but that is no longer the case.

While they don't discount them, at least some stores will offer bonus VIP points for damaged boxes.