Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2015 Inside Tour

CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,215
Just a heads up, and a warning to block a time in your diary for when booking opens ...

http://aboutus.lego.com/en-gb/lego-group/programs-and-visits/lego-inside-tour

Inside Tour dates have been published. Booking goes live 3 November, 1pm Danish time (probably just for three minutes).

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,546
    Yep, as published 2 weeks ago on the home page :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,215
    Ah, that was when I was away :-)
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 549
    I appreciate the heads up! Hopefully a spot has my name on it.
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,874
    So what time would that be in the USA? I screwed it up last year because of our daylight savings time.
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 946
    edited September 2014
    ^^

4:00 AM Monday, November 3, 2014 observing Pacific Standard Time (PST)
  • skybert80skybert80 NorwayMember Posts: 15
    Accepted for the first tour! May 5 - May 8. Yay!
    SirKevbagslegojeroenGoldJono
  • legojeroenlegojeroen NetherlandsMember Posts: 31
    There sending confirmations now?!?! Oh god I hope I'm in!
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    No confirmation yet.......

@GoldJono‌ what a brilliant attitude to take. Well played.
    ShibcheshirecatGoldJonoLego_Star
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,261
    I second that, I see far too much unnecessary bitterness on the internet and it's really nice to see someone take such news in their stride!
    cheshirecatSirKevbagsGoldJonoLego_Star
    Oh fiddlesticks, didn't make it either. Chin up and all that :-)
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    I am glad they are giving a preference to those who have not yet been on an Inside Tour. It gives more folks a chance to see Billund, the heart of LEGO. Too bad all AFOLs can't go!
    I'm on the waiting list
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^^ Oh no. That sucks.
  • GoldJonoGoldJono Aberdeen, UKMember Posts: 214
    @legojeroen there were quite few people on this years tours that were originally on the waiting list so there is still a good chance you will get to go.
    SirKevbagslegojeroencheshirecat
    GoldJono said:

@legojeroen there were quite few people on this years tours that were originally on the waiting list so there is still a good chance you will get to go.

I have not lost hope ;) thanks for the info!
  • trax_3trax_3 Member Posts: 59
    Have been accepted for the 2nd tour in May. Can't wait :)
    legojeroenGoldJonoSirKevbagsskybert80
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    Can't believe you were going to try to go three years in a row @GoldJono. I thought you were talking about returning in a few years when your nephew was old enough to enjoy it!
    edited November 2014
    ^It had begun to be a bit of an annual pilgrimage, one of the main reasons for wanting to go again was so could take a tape measure to get measurements from a special piece of furniture that I would like replicas of in my future lego studio. I really hope I'm not excluded from taking my nephew in a couple of years time, he's 7 next year and crazy about lego, but it's probably best to wait until he's 9 or 10 as he'll get the most out of it then. I was also hoping to pick up lots of sets for another fairy bricks donation in Scotland next year.
    Lego_StarLegoKip
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 549
    They gave me the finger.
  • kennywestkennywest Member Posts: 25
    @GoldJono‌, now you've made me curious about that special piece of furniture :)
  • nivamnivam Member Posts: 3
    Why it is so expensive? 2.000 euros per person are really much. Or is it a method to avoid mass number of visitors?
    For what you get that's actually pretty reasonable. I can't afford it myself but if I could I'd be all over it at that price
    Three nights at the Legoland Hotel + meals are quite pricey, so perhaps half the amount goes to cover that. And there seems to be quite a lot of administrative work for the staff going into this event. Considering these factors, it's not that bad compared to other conference events.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    I'd love to take my my son & daughter but come on 6000 euros for 3 days is a reasonable price?

What could they possibly do what justifies 2000 euros a day?

I'd love to take my my son & daughter but come on 6000 euros for 3 days is a reasonable price?

I can't argue with the fact that the price looks steep when you go as a group, especially if the kids stay in the same room as yourself. For the record, I'm going alone. Whether or not the price is justified, remains to be seen after I've been there and experienced it! :)
    Shib
    Well regardless of if people consider it to be value for money or not it has no problem selling so it's fair to say they must be getting something right.
    ShibcheshirecatmadforLEGOGoldJono
    edited November 2014

I can see what you mean on that front but tbh if I had kids I wouldn't even consider such a thing for them.
    I don't think it should be adults only but I think kids would get just as much of a fun day out at Legoland Windsor, which is about an hours drive for me. For a family holiday I'd think butlins before I thought Billund
    I never went on holidays abroad as a child, the isle of Wight was as exotic as we got, but I still look back on those times fondly and don't feel as if I missed out
    LostInTranslation
    Does anybody know if the staff shop in Billund has a good selection of Star Wars UCS sets and other Hard to Find/Exclusive items?
    ^They won't have any retired UCS sets and it takes them several weeks to stock the latest lines, so taking this year as an example the UCS Sandcrawler wasn't available in the staff store but it was available in the legoland park store during the earlier tours. They have some good deals on retired standard retails sets if you're lucky.
    I see. So I can probably expect i.e. the UCS Sandcrawler, Slave I and the X-wing to be available in the staff shop next May if they aren't retired in the meantime? Preparing a dangerous shopping list already...
  • papluhpapluh Member Posts: 52
    To be honest I did not check SW set when on the last tour, but I faintly remember some biiig SW boxes bought by others. And for example Benny's Spaceship^3 that was out just 2 weeks was stocked, although in very limited numbers (probably the only set that was bought out from that shop). Depends on the date of the tour you might get lucky even with the next UCS ;)
  • dalpassodalpasso Member Posts: 3
    skybert80 said:

Accepted for the first tour! May 5 - May 8. Yay!

Me too!! See you there!
    skybert80GoldJono
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    edited November 2014
    How did I totally miss the details on this one? Will have to mark the calendar for next year.

Congrats everyone who is going!
  • husky96husky96 Member Posts: 46
    They had a decent amount of SW stuff on the 2nd tour. We ended up finding some sets that were sold out in the states but on closeout at the employee store. I would think come May, they would have the UCS items. From a financial standpoint, I wish the tour was later in the summer because the USD is like 10% stronger now than when I went.
    Goldjono, I'm hoping for an opportunity to do the LIT when the LEGO House is complete in 2016, but if it doesn't work out, then I could easily see myself doing a day trip or overnight trip to check it out and buy anything else that is unique like the LEGO House or Billund Airport.
    Leemcg, are you still waiting to see if you got accepted? Hopefully you got in since you had to cancel last year!
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    No, I went last year, and didn't try to go again. You might be thinking of someone else.
  • TLGTLG Member Posts: 125
    Wow, sounds fun! I have always wanted to visit Denmark, and of course Billund. When you guys go, make sure to post pictures so us less-fortunate people have something to admire;)
    You are right....Denmark is a blast! Even if you don't make the LIT, do visit Billund and take your family if you can. They will love the Park! Pack plenty of warm and wet weather clothes and lots of money! (Note: EB tends to hold an annual event there every other year, so watch their schedule, too.)
    There are cheap flights into Billund from Stansted (north of London) and from other airports in the EU if you book before Jan first. So plan to spend time in one or tow large cities over there with three days and three nights in Billund, and you will have a blast. I combined a visit to Legoland Windsor and London with a trip to Billund, and it was a wonderful ten days.
    It would be great to visit another city in the EU for a week BEFORE the LIT, because you will be exhausted AFTER the LIT or three days in Billund in the Park. The reason I mention this now is that you have to make your plans about six months in advance to pull this kind of a trip off without breaking the bank. Also if you first spend a week in another EU city, you should not be bothered as much by jet lag and remain awake most of the time in Billund. THAT is important!
    Most large airlines allow two big rolling bags, which you can fill up with you know what and roll home. Before you leave home, be very careful in checking the baggage allowances FOR EACH FLIGHT because you could get killed by overweight baggage charges if you are not careful. So glad I went last year while completing my Bucket List of visiting all six Parks within a year.
    margotsnowhitie
  • TLGTLG Member Posts: 125
    legogal said:

You are right....Denmark is a blast! Even if you don't make the LIT, do visit Billund and take your family if you can. They will love the Park! Pack plenty of warm and wet weather clothes and lots of money! (Note: EB tends to hold an annual event there every other year, so watch their schedule, too.)
    There are cheap flights into Billund from Stansted (north of London) and from other airports in the EU if you book before Jan first. So plan to spend time in one or tow large cities over there with three days and three nights in Billund, and you will have a blast. I combined a visit to Legoland Windsor and London with a trip to Billund, and it was a wonderful ten days.
    It would be great to visit another city in the EU for a week BEFORE the LIT, because you will be exhausted AFTER the LIT or three days in Billund in the Park. The reason I mention this now is that you have to make your plans about six months in advance to pull this kind of a trip off without breaking the bank. Also if you first spend a week in another EU city, you should not be bothered as much by jet lag and remain awake most of the time in Billund. THAT is important!
    Most large airlines allow two big rolling bags, which you can fill up with you know what and roll home. Before you leave home, be very careful in checking the baggage allowances FOR EACH FLIGHT because you could get killed by overweight baggage charges if you are not careful. So glad I went last year while completing my Bucket List of visiting all six Parks within a year.

Nice guide, all six parks in a year, I bet your kids enjoyed your bucket list:)

MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS: Loads of pictures from the first tour of 2014 (not mine):
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/mvives/sets/72157645252728861/
    Legoboyrdflegoluckyruss
  • minicoopers11minicoopers11 USAMember Posts: 104
    skybert80 said:

Does anybody know if the staff shop in Billund has a good selection of Star Wars UCS sets and other Hard to Find/Exclusive items?

I found the staff shop to be great for grabbing polybags and battle packs (not Star Wars, I mean the blister packs, like Castle).

You get lots of Lego. And, of course, you would be getting three exclusive sets. This is probably what I envy most about GoldJono...he has both the truck and the train.
    I believe there is someone who has been on 9 years of the inside tours, not me, I might add, I wish. I think the best inside tour models over the years have been ole kirks house, moulding machines and this years train.
    @TLG: Thanks! Kids are grown, so they did not go to the six Parks with me. Hubby did make it to the first one in Germany; we enjoyed meeting the EB 2013 members there for their annual event. I am the only one in our family with a flexible enough schedule to take off the time to visit all the Parks within a year, so I did the remaining five alone and looked up new LEGO friends at the others. (Working for yourself does have some advantages!)

While I have not gone on it, the LIT is a great way to begin a visit to all the Parks. Billund is the mother lode with well developed everything in the Park. But I probably would not take my kids on the LIT because it sounds like more of an adult adventure which I would want to do for me... without having to worry about the kids! It would be fun to take kids aged 6-15 to the Billund Park because there is a lot to see and do there.

I should note that besides clothing and a few polybags, there were very few LEGO sets in my bags coming home. Prices are too high outside of the US to justify hauling it back unless you can't find that specific set or part in the US. And I went for the experience of visiting the Parks, not for purchasing LEGO. (Bricklink is wonderful for buying LEGO all over the world and you don't have to somehow fit it in your rolling bag!) Hope this helps with your travel plans.

For an outstanding article about why many folks view travel experiences as more valuable than most purchases of "things," check out the survey results in this morning's WSJ at: http://online.wsj.com/articles/can-money-buy-happiness-heres-what-science-has-to-say-1415569538?KEYWORDS=can+money+buy+happiness

I am not saying that visiting a Legoland Park is more valuable than buying LEGO because we all value things differently, but the experience of seeing the builds in just one of these Parks is overwhelming. And exploring all six of the Parks is way beyond overwhelming. (And we own a massive collection of LEGO, so that does color our view of buying more sets.)

Please consider the LIT or visiting a Park for the sights and how it will make you feel rather than focusing on what you will be bringing home...certainly if you are American. (If you are Irish, like a certain Fennell family, buy all you can in Billund and charter a Maersk container ship to transport it home if necessary because there is no LEGO store in Ireland where LEGO prices are sky high.)

It is easy to understand why Goldjono wants to do the LIT over and over. It sounds like an out of this world experience. (Keep it up, Goldjono, we are rooting for you. And Scotland is much closer to Billund for you than it is for most of us.)
    Wow...just wow. Just got a call from Denmark, I'm in for the last tour!!!
    LostInTranslationmargotsklamb
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,520
    Nice. Have a good time.
    legojeroen
    The tour is getting closer by the day! Anybody else from the forum going on the first tour of May?
    Tried to book an extra night at the hotel to avoid stress on the last day, but they were fully booked and I had to change my flight. So check in advance if you plan something like that!
    Also, the payment procedure for the Tour leaves something to be desired. You have to call in your credit card details over the phone, no web payment or bank transfer options are available.
    Because this counts as foreign usage of my credit card, my bank charges an extra 1.75% of the amount paid (I don't know the English term for this, but it's a sort of currency fee). This makes a few extra $ that could have been spent better in the staff shop. Which I plan to totally raid and thereby put myself in immeasureable credit card debt.
    Regardless of these details, I'm looking forward to Billund, Legoland and meeting other hardcore Lego fans. :)
    skybert80 said:
    The tour is getting closer by the day! Anybody else from the forum going on the first tour of May?
    Tried to book an extra night at the hotel to avoid stress on the last day, but they were fully booked and I had to change my flight. So check in advance if you plan something like that!
    Also, the payment procedure for the Tour leaves something to be desired. You have to call in your credit card details over the phone, no web payment or bank transfer options are available.
    Because this counts as foreign usage of my credit card, my bank charges an extra 1.75% of the amount paid (I don't know the English term for this, but it's a sort of currency fee). This makes a few extra $ that could have been spent better in the staff shop. Which I plan to totally raid and thereby put myself in immeasureable credit card debt.
    Regardless of these details, I'm looking forward to Billund, Legoland and meeting other hardcore Lego fans. :)
    I remember the price for the tour was in DKK, so that seemed straightforward to me that a foreign usage fee would be charged (unless you have a no foreign fee card).

But yeah, calling the number, then telling them what you need to do, then waiting for them to ask someone else how to do that because they had never done it before...yeah, payment can easily be improved.