Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Brightly Coloured castle/medieval builds

adventure_aladventure_al Scotland Member Posts: 243
Anyone got any good examples of medieval/castle builds that DO NOT use grey/brown/black?

Oh and not that yellow castle either!

I'm looking for inspiration for the medieval land im building. I was thinking of a church/cathedral in yellow, maybe with a darker roof (burgundy?) and gold trim.

Probably outwith the reach of my building skills but I think its potentially feasible in a 'lego world' without looking totally ridiculous.

Despite a large Lego collection my greys/browns are already running thin!

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,554
    I remember seeing a MOC months back that had a tealish roof that was really striking. I think it might have been a Brothers Brick post. It might be fun to try to use that pale green-yellow wall section from the Cloud Cuckoo set as a base but then there aren't many other parts in that color to help. Sand green or Sand blue would make a really neat castle moc too I think
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    The tavern in #10193 is looking nice in medium blue.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,324
    edited September 2014
    Tan works quite nicely as does flesh. It's a shame there is a lack of architectural style pieces in flesh. Especially as there are arches in that colour from PoP.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,112
    Agreed. Hopefully the detective agency is done in flesh - the parts would be a welcome addition to the color palette options for doing "buildings"
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    Tan walls and teal-ish (or green) roofs for a sort of Ottoman-ish sort of look?

Building on what @ColoradoBricks‌ said, you could use that style in many colours. There are classic castle sets which have half-timbered/mock-Tudor bits in black/yellow and black/red, and I think you could make it work with a lot of lighter/pastel-y colours (like the blue in the MMV).

There is a guy on MOCpages (whose name I cannot remember - d'oh!) who has made huge castles/fortresses/buildings in red/yellow/white (original brick colours, basically) for an old-school Classic Castle look. If I'm not mistaken the idea is that it's just a massive continuation of the imaginary Lego kingdom he invented/played with as a kid, but for the life of me I can't remember his name!
    adventure_al
    Tracked him down, but it looks like he's left MOCpages and deleted all his builds. :/ Ah well. He was called White Knight, so you might find his stuff elsewhere, I don't know.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,067
  • adventure_aladventure_al Scotland Member Posts: 243
    Thanks for replies. I'm Definately going to incorporate the 80s plate walls in. I've yellow and red amongst others

And @diggydoes maybe not THAT bright lol
    catwrangler
    I'd also love to see white knights stuff, sounds very similiar to my own nostalgia inspired ideas
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    edited September 2014

I'd also love to see white knights stuff, sounds very similiar to my own nostalgia inspired ideas

I don't think it's the same person, but there's a user on EB named The_Cook that used to do MOCs in the style of mid-80s Castle. I can't find an easy way to link to a list of the posts, but one of the later ones is here. The images at the end of the post are links to the earlier MOCs.

EDIT: I see they're all collected in one place here.
    catwranglerAllBrickstlux
    Yeah, it's not the same guy. White Knight's stuff was huge, as in one massive fortress which took up an entire dinner table. But unless he had a different name somewhere else, he's done a pretty good job of erasing his existence...
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 277
    I've seen this guy on Mocpages and his stuff is spectacular. He erases his account every now and then and comes back with a new name (always ____ Knight) His last account was 'Crown Knight' - it's not there now. He usually re-uploads some stuff when he returns. I've no idea why he does this, but right now I'm kinda missing his fantastic castle 'Golden Virginia' I think it was called. Come back Mr Knight!

... 'Golden Virginia' I think it was called. Come back Mr Knight!

Definitely the same guy.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,749
    I've seen some big Bright Red castles at Brickfair Virginia, but I don't know where I'd find pictures. Searching "Red LEGO Castle" on Flickr doesn't bring up a whole lot. You can find a number of interesting things by searching "red castle" on Brickshelf, such as this beauty.
    catwrangler
    Yeah that's some great inspiration guys. I guess ultimately I'm looking to build something in between those, a retro throwback to keep brick count down yet nothing quite as garish as the block colour of the red castle (awesome build though)
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,908
    edited September 2014
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,190
    #6067 . Of course, those red panels are a bit expensive now.
  • LegonizerLegonizer San Diego, CAMember Posts: 39
    I have a castle build that while it contains a decent amount of grey and brown, I tried to put a lot of color in it as well so it didn't look bland, so in a way it's a bit of a hybrid between the realistic grey and the cartoony colors: https://www.flickr.com/photos/legonizer/14841118177/

At Bricks by the Bay I spotted a beautiful nice pink castle, unfortunately I was unable to find it again after Googling for it.
    ColoradoBricksTheBigLegoskiAndorcatwrangler
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,650
    edited September 2014
    I've also seen a couple of pink castles, couldn't find the most recent one I've seen but here's another 04

Here's also an interesting use of lime in the standard MMV style layout.
    Castle shots

Simon (who did the rainbow castle above) has used bright colours a number of times
    Belynia's Blacksmith

The rainbow build was in fact for a whole competition based around the colours of 'Skittles' so there's a few other block colours build that might inspire you
    http://classic-castle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25172&hilit=skittles&start=15

I think the teal roof build on brothers-brick might have been one by Derfel Cadarn. He often uses surprising colours and intense detail in his builds, though when I found it, I discovered it was from 3 years ago... how time flies.
    Quest For The Lost Shrine: Part 1 The Meeting
    TechnicNickBuzzsawTheBigLegoskicatwranglerAllBrickstluxsnowhitieLyichir
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,366

Built by Robin Sather, with a bit of help from me!

Those are awesome. I love mega-Duplo creations.

@andhe yes thats the idea, a few of those arent disimiliar to what i was thinking of.

If you look at the one with the purple roof (second to last in @andhe's post) the lower walls are actually built from armour and helmets and stuff!
    That reminds me, there's a massive Lego model of Mark Twain's house in Bradley Intl. Airport in Hartford CT. It's also huge and red, but the similarity stops there, I guess...:P
    catwrangler
  • tayelapoetayelapoe Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Sorry for resurrecting an old topic, but here is a castle (actually made of brick) I want to build and I am wondering how to achieve this light red-ish brick colour. Maybe some of you have some ideas that could help.
    Thanks in advance.

catwrangler
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,566
    Red and black works quite nicely too. I'll post some pictures of a MOC I made using that scheme. 
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
    I'm glad you resurrected this thread; I had no idea it was here but there are so many cool ideas.

It looks as though you'd be building in graduated rather than solid colour, and looking at the Lego colour palette from 2016, I wonder if nougat, medium nougat and light nougat would be useful, amongst others. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with the costs/availability of those colours on Bricklink etc...
    I'm glad you resurrected this thread; I had no idea it was here but there are so many cool ideas.

It looks as though you'd be building in graduated rather than solid colour, and looking at the Lego colour palette from 2016, I wonder if nougat, medium nougat and light nougat would be useful, amongst others. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with the costs/availability of those colours on Bricklink etc...
    Basic bricks in Nougat and Light Nougat are quite scarce on BrickLink and in sets. These colors are primarily skin tones, so bricks and plates in those colors mainly tend to exist for display sculptures like at LEGO stores, LEGOLAND parks, and Toy Fairs.

Medium Nougat (Medium Dark Flesh) is much more common, and for a build like this I think it, Brick Yellow (tan), and possibly Dark Orange could be a good combination?
    catwrangler
  • tayelapoetayelapoe Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all for the great tips, now I think I will do some research on the availability and price of these bricks in Bricklink stores nearby (and in the local brick shop).
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 975
    It's a fairly restricted part palette (though relatively functional for castles) and dear as poison but I'd be partial to Sand Red.
    tayelapoe
    If it's any help, the masonry brick (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=98283#T=C) is available in both Medium Nougat and Brick Yellow. Also even in Sand Yellow (Dark Tan).
    catwranglertayelapoe
  • Fuzzy_ThoughtsFuzzy_Thoughts MichiganMember Posts: 5
    Sand Red is on the top of my wish list for LEGO to bring back.  It is such a great natural looking color for weathered walls....
    catwranglerFowlerBricks
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 489
    Def Medium dark flesh @tayelapoe with Minecraft there's MDF everywhere! 
    tayelapoeFowlerBricks
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,566
    Red and black works great!

catwrangler
    Since this topic was first started, the Elves and Disney themes have provided some great examples of brightly-colored castles. #41055, #41068, #41078, and #41180 all take the Hogwarts-esque approach of using more typical stone colors like White, Medium Stone Grey, Black, and Brick Yellow (Tan) for the walls and brighter colors for roofs and other accents. #41188, on the other hand, gets a bit more daring, using Spring Yellowish Green as the main color of its walls and Sand Green for its foundations and parapets.

Regrettably, at the last LEGO convention I attended (BrickFair Virginia), the Castle section was still mostly dominated by very conventional greys.