Why does Brickset log me out when I go from FORUM to HOME Page?

IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,098
edited September 2011 in Brickset.com
Hi folks, I just noticed an oddity... wonder if it's just me.... whenever I access Brickset, I go directly to the Forum... and I am "remembered" as "Istokg" and am logged in on the Forum page.

But today when I go from the Forum to the Home page... I am no longer logged in... (it says "Log in | Sign up" in the upper right corner)... and when I then go back to the Forum page... I am confronted with the Bricklink "Accessing the Forum" page that asks me to check off the box at the bottom after reading the rules... and then continue on...

Like I said... is it just me? (Scratching head Emoticon)

Comments

• kebblekebble Member Posts: 5
    I treat both the Brickset website and the Forum differently. So each remembers your log in information separately. So one can log into one account (account A) on the Brickset homepage then go to the forum and be "logged out" (not logged in). You can actually log into your forum account (account B) and become remembered as such. If you flip back to the homepage you'll be called account A yet on the forum you'll be remembered as account B.

It works the same way if you happen to have your name the same for brickset login and brickset forum login [(account A and account A) yes, two "A"s]... which makes it confusing. So the "remember me" button has to be applied for both pages (Brickset Home and Brickset Forum) otherwise you won't be logged in! *Sigh* It's hard to explain but just something I picked up on since my Forum account is different than my Brickset account.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,098
    Thanks Kebble! (Although I'm more puzzled by your situation than mine... LOL...)

I don't venture over there all that often, as you can tell... so it was puzzling to me.. but I'm up to speed now! ;-)
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    Brickset.com and Bricksetforum.com have separate authentication. This is because Bricksetforum is hosted by VanillaForums and not directly by Brickset.

Although both support "remember me" functionality via HTTP cookies, they are separate. What this means is there is no cross-functionality between logging in and out between the two sites, and the cookies expire independently of one another.

When I view the cookies for Brickset, the one I believe to be the authentication one is created to be valid for more than 2 years. However, I've personally had mine expire prematurely and I'm unsure of the reason why.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,098
    Thanks Rocao! That explains it perfectly...

Also, I've had cookie issues as well from time to time... not sure it's the same scenario you're having though. Sometimes if my computer freezes up, and I've had to reboot, I've had to put in my login/password all over again on many sites. Sometimes this is an issue... other times the reboot doesn't cause this problem...
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,440
    edited September 2011
    Thanks Rocao, that does indeed explain it perfectly.