Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

When do advent calenders sell out?

jb15jb15 Member Posts: 53
edited September 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
I'm considering buying a LEGO Star Wars advent calender, but part of me wants to wait to see if there will be any sales/just want to delay it for now--maybe even till AFTER Christmas.

Good plan? Or do calenders usually sell out? If so, when?

Comments

• bricksanbricksan Member Posts: 566
    Hopefully not before payday as I plan on getting one in 2 weeks and then saving it till the 1st December.....
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    From what I remember, the Kingdoms Advent calendar was a hot seller, and seemed to be hard to come by as you got closer to Christmas. But the City calendar was easily available. My gut is that the Star Wars calendars will be harder to come by in November. They could have produced billions of them, but I think every kid ages 5-13 is going to be getting one of these. I'll be picking one up soon.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    I'm not sure about sell outs. John Lewis (UK) had them half price after Christmas. And when I was in Germany a couple of years ago in late November they were a mere 12 euros.
    I doubt any of the above is particularly helpful!
  • jb15jb15 Member Posts: 53
    OK. Thanks y'all for your opinions. I guess I'll pick one up sooner rather than later.
    If I could I would love to get the Pirate one from a few years back.
  • jonboy2000jonboy2000 Member Posts: 257
    They usually go on sale in brand stores and on-line but I'm not so sure the star wars 1 will make it that far.
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    I'd say the next day after Xmas, check your local Lego store for extra calendars they might mark down. Get there early!
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    edited September 2011
    Last year, both advent calendars were discounted a few days into December (2nd Dec i bought them), at least in the UK anyway. I picked up both for half price (£12.49), but the Kingdom calendar sold out very quickly after being discounted, the City one stuck around longer IIRC.

As for this year, my guess would be that the City calendar will be heavily discounted in December and stocks will be plentiful. The SW calendar is much more likely to be either sold out before December or minimally discounted in December if not.

Therefore I've bought the SW one now, and will hold off on the city calendar and may purchase if it's offered up at 50% discount.
  • clowndiscuslegoclowndiscuslego Member Posts: 97
    every store around here that had the advent calendars last year were long sold out before christmas
    @atkinsar, I may hold off buying the City one then and seeing if I can get it cheaper.
    just read my post again and I failed to mention the calendars were discounted at [email protected]
  • JezzatheshedJezzatheshed Member Posts: 161
    I got mine last week in a 20% off sale at the coop in Wigston leics , with more stores having sales this side of christmas I cant see them lasting long in the uk.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,525
    OK. Thanks y'all for your opinions. I guess I'll pick one up sooner rather than later.
    Pick up sooner than later if you want one.. usually they sell out rather early .. occasionally I have seen last years at a TRU by me, but that is because last years stunk, IMO. This years may not be much better, but I really do think you get more with the Police themed one this year and opposed to last..
    The Star Wars calendar, imo, is junk.. and a blatant cash grab by both Lego and TRU (who bumped it to $50... sadly a lot of us predicted that would happen) but I am surprised Lego still has them in stock.. just because they are Star Wars and most parents, and kids, do not know better....
  • jb15jb15 Member Posts: 53
    edited September 2011

Seriously? :) It comes with 8 minifigs, and 24 mini ships. Seems like a steal to me.
    ^---It is a steal... With Lego and TRU taking money from your wallet :-)

Like I said IMO, in my opinion.. obviously opinions vary....
  • NeilJamNeilJam USAMember Posts: 272
    edited November 2011
    LEGO has severely overestimated how popular the Star Wars Advent calendar would be. The TRU I work at is so overstocked with them that I had to make additional space to put them all out (I am part of the overnight stock crew). Meanwhile, the City advent calendars keep selling out when they come in.

It's not just TRU either. Another toy store in the area has a large amount of the Star Wars Advents available too.

So, if you want a City Advent Calendar get it when you see it. As for the Star Wars ones, I won't be surprised if they are still available after X-Mas.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,292
    You could always just buy them now and hang on to your receipt in case they ever get discounted.

Target, Walmart, TRU, and LEGO stores all have 60-90 day return windows.
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    LEGO.com for the UK is showing as sold out for SW Advent Calendars...
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Seriously? :) It comes with 8 minifigs, and 24 mini ships. Seems like a steal to me.
    8 minifigures and 16 miniature ships and/or minifigure accessories.
    edited November 2011
    LEGO has severely overestimated how popular the Star Wars Advent calendar would be. The TRU I work at is so overstocked with them that I had to make additional space to put them all out (I am part of the overnight stock crew). Meanwhile, the City advent calendars keep selling out when they come in.

It's not just TRU either. Another toy store in the area has a large amount of the Star Wars Advents available too.

So, if you want a City Advent Calendar get it when you see it. As for the Star Wars ones, I won't be surprised if they are still available after X-Mas.
    It does not help, of course, when TRU bumps the Price of the SW calendar to 45-50 dollars either ;-) BUT its retail is also 5 dollars more than the city one (if I recall correctly) which is another reason, especially with the economy the way it, that it is not selling.
    But this calendar is a blatant money grab by LEGO, and absolutely not worth it for a Christmas Yoda, which is really all you are getting for your $40-50 dollars (all the other stuff is found in one set or another, or are just parts you can get from LEGO) but if people buy them they will keep doing it.
    Well if anyone insists getting a SW advent Calendar they are at Walmart.com for $38.97
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    Advent Calendars can be hit and miss... Years ago, I wasn't able to get them except online well before Christmas. The Lego Store always sold out almost immediately.

In recent years, they've been in TRU, Target, Walmart, etc., so they are much easier to get now.

Last year, a couple weeks after Christmas, I was able to get my hands on 20+ of the City Advent Calendars for 90% off at Target.

(Not sure if my speculation is true or not... but the Target that had the high discount was in a Jewish community, so I figured they didn't sell very well there for that reason...)

Brent
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Well the SW one is sold out at [email protected] in the UK. And seems to be on amazon too.
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,327
    Smyths toys by me still has mountains of the SW calendar plus you get a free lego dvd!
    What's the DVD?
    Don't know! Sent someone in today to pick up one for me and she phoned to say they had a promo running and given her a free lego dvd with it! Them not bein' into lego or SW they didn't know what it was. Suppose Ill find out 2moro when I pick it up?
    ^^ Clutch Powers!
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    edited November 2011
    You could always just buy them now and hang on to your receipt in case they ever get discounted.

Target, Walmart, TRU, and LEGO stores all have 60-90 day return windows.
    Lol! I always do that, and in more than one opportunity, had most of my money back buying the item on sale, and returning it with the original purchase receipt at full price before the 90 day final return date (I do this mostly at Target).

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    For anyone in the UK still looking for a SW Advent Calendar, John Lewis on Oxford Street still had a few yesterday evening (but not many). Loads of city ones though.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    I really liked the Kingdoms Advent Calendar last year. The City Calendar this year is lame (robbers at Christmas???), and the SW Calendar is weak. However, it is now a tradition in our house to get a set and let the kids take turns opening each day, so we decided to opt for the SW Calendar. It's setting out on the coffee table and the kids are always picking it up to see which figures they are interested in. These sets do an excellent job building toward the main event...Christmas. We do a chocolate advent calendar as well to get the taste buds going too. :-)