Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

georgebjones: Sacramento AFOL here.

georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
edited May 2011 in Introduce yourself
My name is George Jones. I am 31 and live in Roseville/Sacramento area. I came out of my dark age full force last november when I discovered there was a LEGO Store in Arden Fair mall!! If there are any others here in Sacramento, drop a line.

Comments

• atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Welcome to the forum @georgebjones, good to have you onboard!
  • aaronptrckaaronptrck Northern CaliforniaMember Posts: 15
    Welcome George! I frequent the Arden Fair Mall myself! :D (Concord resident) It's an awesome mall with lots of good stores, but certainly none are as cool as the LEGO Store!

--Aaron
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    I was born and raised in Sacramento and have returned to make it my home after living for 10 years in the Bay Area. And, of course, the Lego Store at Arden is my stomping ground.
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    Cool! Good to know you all. We may run into each other there.
    Were either of you guilty of arriving at the Lego store at opening on Dec 26th for the 50% clearance and relieving them of most of the Star Wars sets? I was told it was a ~$3k haul taken out on a hand truck :P
  • 2wheels2wheels Member Posts: 1
    Hello - I'm an AFOL from Rocklin. Just moved into the area a few months ago. I missed the clearance sale :)
    @2wheels: welcome to the area, and welcome to the brickset forum!

Hmm... does anyone have interest in forming a SacLUG?
    @Rocao, haha, I arrived as the employees were bringing the carts back in, so they did not exaggerate, and I was there only about 20 mins after opening. No, it wasn't me.

As far as a lug, there is SacBB, but they aren't terribly active. I think the problem they run into is a venue for the meetings. I have never even been to one, but was actually thinking about starting one. I even came up with a name, BrickSac(c)(tm), haha.
    @2wheels, welcome. It's good to know about other AFOLs in the area.
  • aaronptrckaaronptrck Northern CaliforniaMember Posts: 15
    Does anyone here know what the exclusive model was given away at the opening of the Arden Fair Mall LEGO Store?
    It was a little train model, although I was not there to get one :(

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=Sacramento-1
    http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=Sacramento-1
    I didn't get one either, and it's a pretty nice set relative to some of the other ones: http://www.brickset.com/browse/themes/?theme=LEGO Store Grand Opening Set
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    Thanks for the reminder that I need to update that list, and the MMMB list too ...
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,431
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the reminder that I need to update that list, and the MMMB list too ...
    I'm interested to see how you'll classify the Welsh Dragon, which was intended to be given away to the public at the opening of the Cardiff store but ended up just being sent to Brickish helpers I think....

Welsh Dragon

• legomaniaclegomaniac Member Posts: 12
    There is a LUG in Sacramento called SACBB (Sacramento Brick Builders) They have a yahoo group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sacbb/) and meet once a month or so if they have a meeting place.
    edited April 2011
    I'm interested to see how you'll classify the Welsh Dragon, which was intended to be given away to the public at the opening of the Cardiff store but ended up just being sent to Brickish helpers I think....
    I'll list it like the other grand opening exclusives, but note it wasn't formally given out. I don't suppose you got a spare copy of the Bus; we got a dragon, but not a bus :-(
    Sorry, Ian - they only gave me the one. Happy to scan the instrcutions for you if you'd like, but I realise it won't make you feel any better.......
    We've got the instructions, so we could easily build it if we wanted, but I'd rather like a 'proper' one, bag and all ;-)
    @legomaniac: are you a member of SACBB? I've sent a request to be added to the Yahoo Group but haven't gotten a response yet
    @rocao: when I sent my request it took over a month to get a response. That's why I said I didn't think they were very active.
    ^ Thanks for the response. I can view the group's messages, so I'll try sending an email directly to the contact there. If the group turns out to be not very active, maybe BrickSAC is in order (I like the name!)
  • jgadgetjgadget Member Posts: 184
    edited April 2011
    @bluemoose: Sorry, I just have the one bus too.
    @DrDaveWatford: While we waited for the 350000 red rories to turn up, the dragons were handed out at the Cardiff opening event for the kids, big and small, to build and put on display, but nobody was allowed to keep them. This resulted in some complaints from a few mums, although it might have been the same mum repeatedly complaining.

I believe that bluemoose mentioned in the past that the dragon might reappear some time in the future as an MMMB in the brand stores. I guess that may have prompted his comment, "Thanks for the reminder that I need to update that list, and the MMMB list too ...
    ".
    edited April 2011
    We don't mind you Brits crashing in our thread, but you should at least pay rent :P
    ^ You're just jealous of our buses and dragons :-)
    ^ Well yeah, either of those two are acceptable forms of payment