Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Seeking opinions on 10221 (SSD) and 75059 (Sandcrawler)

XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
So as an annual thing I tend to have time off over the Christmas period and in that time I enjoy building myself a nice big Lego set or two (actually, three, because I always end up having to build my girlfriend's modular for her). Last year I treated myself to #10188 (Death Star) and #10236 (Ewok Village).

I've already decided that one of my two large sets this year will be Metalbeard's Sea Cow, and I'm torn on what to choose for the second. I'm not overly taken by the new UCS batmobile, and I'm not really a fan of Slave 1, so I've narrowed it down - either the SSD, or the Sandcrawler.

Now, I do like my display pieces, so I'm somewhat drawn to the SSD for this, I believe it's scale makes a great display piece, but I'm left wondering if all it really has to offer is scale. It doesn't look from what I can see a particularly exciting exterior in terms of design, yet I also like building detail (which is why I loved the Ewok Village) and from what I can see it doesn't appear that the SSD has any kind of detailed interior, is this correct? that the vast majority of the build is just building this great big rather bland grey hull? From what I can see the most interesting part looks to be the rear. Is this a fair assessment of the SSD? is it particularly challenging? is there a vast detailed hidden interior I'm just not aware of?

Which brings me to the sandcrawler, instead of bland grey like the SSD it's a bland brown, but from what I can see it looks like it has a really cool and interesting interior underneath all that blandness.

So I'm wondering what others think who have, ideally, built both. Which was more interesting to build? which was more challenging? how time consuming was each? I have read a few reviews but they've not really shed any light on the topic for me.

Finally I understand this is probably the last chance I'll ever get to get the SSD given that it's on the verge of EOL (I believe it already is in the US?), so part of me is thinking maybe I should just get that this year, but then another part is do I even really need it at all if it's just a big lump of grey? Has anyone here bought the SSD and been pleasantly surprised? has anyone here bought it and been largely disappointed?

Comments

• Yip-manYip-man United KingdomMember Posts: 11
    Hi I own both of thee models.

my Views on each are as follows:

SSD:

Extremely good display model, looks very imposing when built. the build was pleasurable as you see the size of it very quickly (which is huge). However this model has little play or scene set up ability, it just sits there (which is not a bad this -as it is so big).

The build does have good use of normal technic / system parts.

Sandcrawler

Good display model, does not look as imposing as the SSD. However, the playability or scene creation is extremely good (lots of minifigs), as it has all the main features of of Sandcrawler form the film. I liked the fact that brown rather than grey, uses better technic to system parts building.

So i think choice is down to:

SSD : will you regret not having it once retires?
    Do you want to just display ? - if so SSD very imposing
    Do you want to scene create - if so Sandcrawler

hope of some help

• GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    having also built both, I found the SSD build more enjoyable, the size of the structure was just intimidating, and seemed to just continue to get bigger, however the finishing details on top felt a little repetitive and being one of the last steps brought me off the OMG mode I had been riding through most of the build. the sand crawler was rather clever though, building the steering and other features was interesting and the whole build it keeps getting more impressive (except for the 4 cat tracks, there's no getting around how annoying those are)

I currently have both for display and building anything to scale with SSD is a trick and a half, when an ISD is a mere 4 inches long (ball park) most everything else is in the sub 2 inch length. there is a small interior on the SSD in the center of the city section, its supposed to be the bridge scene with the bounty hunters but is very small.

the Sandcrawler however is nearly perfectly scaled to the microfigures (Heroica, 1 meter = 1.5studs) and building things to match it is rather easy, and can make the whole display area around it something quite special. I've done a scale accurate Lars Homestead, (only the above ground so far) I prefer to build only in true scale so the droids and minifigs are all hidden away inside the crawler.

as said above, SSD is an imposing and great single display piece, while the Sandcrawler is still a decent display it really shines if you put some scenery around it.
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Cheers guys, so apart from the bridge area is most of the SSD's internals just structural/empty space then?
    yeah, its actually rather flat, but the internals are basically skeletal, a main "spine" and some "ribs, to form the shape of the ship. the rest of the ship is a shell. despite that its a very durable ship and with 2 hands you can swoosh it in a big enough room, just don't crash it ;)
  • JdurgJdurg Member Posts: 18
    I too also have both of those sets. They are each great fun builds, with the SSD taking me longer than the Sandcrawler did. One thing to keep in mind is that the SSD is not going to be around very much longer, and in fact it is retired in the US (and I believe Canada as well?). So to get one, I had to pay $700 to pick it up. (Thank you Amazon Credit Card Reward Points!).

The build of the SSD is very repetitive at times, and it leaves your fingertips/thumbtips sore from all the greebling on it. The final parts of the build where you put together the panels for each side are somewhat tedious and it can be frustrating if you put a part in the wrong spot only to find out you did that as you try to attach it to the main body. In the end, the SSD is INCREDIBLY impressive looking and will easily dwarf any other set you have.

In comparison to the Ewok Village and the Death Star (10188), the build is indeed very boring and "bland". I think the Death Star was one of the most fun builds I've ever had since coming out of my Dark Ages earlier this year, and it was also the first "big" set I built. The Ewok Village, as you now know, was a surprisingly fun build with so many neat techniques to create the final product.

The Sandcrawler has many of those "oh wow" moments as you are building it. The only tedious part of it are the treads which get annoying after a while, but considering how much fun it is to build the thing it was very easy to forgive. The set also has a great deal of playability to it with all the minifigures and play features in the set. The scale is very good and makes the end result look great in any scenes you can come up with.

If I was forced to choose one set, for financial reasons I would choose the SSD simply because it is likely going to be retired soon in the EU and then the price of it will skyrocket just as it did here in the US. The Sandcrawler is likely going to be around for a while longer, so you'll still be able to pick it up without breaking the bank. Regardless of what you choose, I think you'll be happy with it.
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    I found the SSD to be incredibly tedious. I didn't really enjoy building it, but the end result is worth it. It looks great displayed, and people kinda go "holy shit" when they see it.

The treads on the Sandcrawler made me want to stick my head in the oven, but other than that, the build is brilliant. It doesn't have the impact of the SSD, but it's still impressive in its own right.
    Jdurg said:

If I was forced to choose one set, for financial reasons I would choose the SSD simply because it is likely going to be retired soon in the EU and then the price of it will skyrocket just as it did here in the US. The Sandcrawler is likely going to be around for a while longer, so you'll still be able to pick it up without breaking the bank. Regardless of what you choose, I think you'll be happy with it.

That's a great point.
  • bluez3bluez3 Member Posts: 12
    Get the SSD if you can. I have the SSD and ISD displayed together on top of my movie collection shelves in my home theater. It almost looks like a museum display especially with how the SSD comes with a mini ISD to show relative scale and the ISD comes with a mini corellian corvette to show scale. It's mind numbing to imagine the resources needed to build and operate vessels of that magnitude if they were ever to be built in real life.

My only regret was not getting a UCS corellian corvette to complete the scale magnification.
    Is that the original UCS ISD? I didn't even know that existed until I saw a few weeks ago, it does look really nice, wish I could've picked that up at the time!
    I always enjoy this little stat, when people bring up the scale sizes and how massive the SSD would really be, so here you go:

A standard Minifig scaled ISD would be a remarkable 40meters long, and Tantiv IV, is 3.4meters long. while The Imperial Super Star Destroyer Executor, if built to Minifig scale would clock in at 480meters long!
    zipsforbananasbluez3
  • imhotep85imhotep85 Southampton, UKMember Posts: 24
    ^ I'm going to need a bigger Lego room!
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,520
    Hmmm, half a kilometre long, guess the show is at your place, every year.
    Xefan said:

Is that the original UCS ISD? I didn't even know that existed until I saw a few weeks ago, it does look really nice, wish I could've picked that up at the time!

10030 is the UCS ISD I have on display with the SSD 10221.
    10019 is the other set I wish I had gotten that compliments the mini scale ship that comes with the ISD.
    You all failed to convince me overwhelmingly that one was better than the other so I picked up both (and my Sea Cow!) in the Smyths 20% off sale this morning. I guess it's going to be a busy Christmas for Lego building given I also want some of the Minecraft sets in November!
    zipsforbananasBrickDancer
  • Yip-manYip-man United KingdomMember Posts: 11
    That's because one is not overwhelmingly better than the other :-)

Looks like you got best of both worlds.... happy building (don't drop turkey on it)
    To be fair I think the nail was in the coffin of picking one over the other when I said to my partner the other day I couldn't decide which to get and she said "Why not get both?", it seemed an odd thing for her to say at the time and I'm sure there's something brewing behind that comment which is going to cost me dearly, but for now I figured I'd take her suggestion and run with it :)
    zipsforbananasricecakeDadGothamConstructionCo
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    20% off at Smyths you say? Might be time to finally get the SSD myself! Thanks for the heads up!
    I'd get in quick the SSD isn't on their website anymore and I think there was only two left in store where I went so I think it's literally just end of life stock they have left
  • JdurgJdurg Member Posts: 18
    Congrats and have fun! I know that a lot of folks seem to poop on the SSD, but I think it looks incredible sitting on the top of the dresser in my bedroom. (Yes, I'm single so don't have to worry about a significant other. Hehe). So many Lego sets are designed to be playable, etc. etc. and the SSD certainly is not, but it was an amazingly fun build even though it's mostly bley plates being put together. It's certainly an impressive set. Wish I had gotten it when it wasn't EOL here in the US so it didn't cost me so much, but them's the breaks.

I really, REALLY like the Sandcrawler. I think it looks leaps and bounds better than the older version of the set, and it was quite a fun build aside from the repetition on the treads. The minifigs included are also really well done, and it looks great in my Lego collection around all the other Tatooine sets. It's making me think about MOCing a Skywalker homestead to have next to it..... once I finally finish the modifications to the Cantina set and finalize it in LDD. Always tempted to add more and more.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    bluez3 said:

It's mind numbing to imagine the resources needed to build and operate vessels of that magnitude if they were ever to be built in real life.

The Super Star Destroyer is indeed very large, but when you think about a vast empire of thousands of worlds, perhaps not as crazy as you'd think.

What is nuts is the Death Star, but we don't have to go there.

Beyond that, it is worth considering that for the 20,000 year history of the Republic, the Gree and Infinate Empire before them, nothing really ever rivaled the size of the Imperial Navy.

Emperor Palatine was building a force to challenge the Yuuzhan Vong whom he knew were coming from outside the Galaxy. He knew that only a massive military, larger than anything ever put together, would be required to stop them. That was the true reason for the Death Stars. You really only need one of those for terror, he was building dozens of them.

The Yuuzhan Vong Worldships were huge, about 100km across. As shown in the actual invasion when the New Republic used their few Super Star Destroyers against them, they were largely ineffective. The purpose of the Death Stars is that their superlaser could have destroyed the Worldships outright in a single shot.

Due to the success of the Rebel Alliance, 365 trillion sentient beings were killed in the invasion that happened 25 years after the Battle of Yavin. So frankly, while the Emperor was evil, he wasn't *that* evil. :)

--------------

The Imperial Navy was huge, only a very small part of it was tasked with the defeat of the Rebel Alliance.

At its peak, it had over 25,000 Imperial-Class Star Destoyers (also known as the Imperator-class after the first ship of the type). It had over 1 million starships of all types and over 1 trillion crew members of all types.

Four Super Star Destroyers were "officially" built, but it is known that at least 4 more were built, including 2 under the same name so as to "hide" them in plain sight (building them at the same time in two different locations using all the same "orders"). The original plan was to build a few hundred of them to provide a mobile sector "base" and to lock down control over various sectors by their simple presence.

The Victory and Imperial Star Destroyers were really system patrol craft and ships-of-the-line, meant to hold sections of space and to engage anything from pirates to rebels all by themselves, or with limited support of frigates and gunships.

Keep in mind that a Star Destroyer was four ships in one...

1. It was a Capital warship able to engage in ship to ship gun duals.
    2. It was a Troop transport able to transport 25,000 Stormtroopers to hostile worlds.
    3. It was a Carrier, able to transport 6 wings of TIE fighters/Intercepters/Bombers, 72 in all, in addition to gunships, shuttles, landing craft, etc.
    4. It was an Invasion ship, carrying 2 prefab Imperial Bases that it could drop from Orbit as well as a full compliment of AT-ST and AT-AT walkers and the ability to drop them from space onto a planet.

The scale and scope of it really boggles the mind...
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Though in reality it can be as big as ones imagination ;)

What I really want to know is the size of their pay run. I imagine the empires HR department was pretty big :p
  • CommanderRaabCommanderRaab Edinburgh, ScotlandMember Posts: 630
    bluez3 said:

Due to the success of the Rebel Alliance, 365 trillion sentient beings were killed in the invasion that happened 25 years after the Battle of Yavin. So frankly, while the Emperor was evil, he wasn't *that* evil. :)

LOL that has just made my day. Well that and the fact I just bought the SSD and Sandcrawler at Smyths in Edinburgh. One SSD left if anyone wants it.
    Basta said:

Though in reality it can be as big as ones imagination ;)

What I really want to know is the size of their pay run. I imagine the empires HR department was pretty big :p

Yea, the logistics of such a force rather boggle the mind. I imagine you either need a million people running the supply division, or hopefully droids can help sort it all out, it really gets into numbers larger than our poor brains want to work with. Or at least mine. :)
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Or in a made up world you dont have to worry about such stuff. It's not mind boggling, it's redundant.
    I did get one from Smyths, thank you £70 off offer!! Built it last night and this morning and it looks glorious! I've already taken the bridge section out so I can have it as a vignette displayed on its own, I had some pieces already hoping to build it myself, and thankfully I had the Technic central part and pieces to use for the floor, so I could just take the rest out and build it in its own right.
    They had at least one more in stock on the shelf, but yeah, it does seem like an endangered species. I seem to be quite good at that, when I finally got the Imperial Shuttle (the SSD's great, but the Lambda's still the pride of my fleet!) from my local Lego shop it seemed like it was the last one they had.

And @LegoFanTexas‌, I was well into the EU years back with the Timothy Zahn books, pretty much every book that came out between the first three and the return of Thrawn double, 50 books or so - but wow, I've missed a lot!
    I've a feeling the encroachment of that alien force was coming in as I was starting to lose touch with it all, I seem to remember something about a new unknown force who thought badly of the Republic forces who retreated out of fear but were seen to be disrespectfully not burying their dead, or something like that.
    But somehow that all seems a bit too foreign to what I think of as that Star Wars universe, maybe I've turned into a grumpy old man already, but Star Wars that goes too far beyond the reaches and elements of the original films kinda stops being Star Wars to me.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,430
    @LegoFanTexas - thanks for that synopsis. Sounds like Palpatine wasn't such a bad guy. It'd be interesting if they wrote the what if stories where Palpatine lives and builds his grand fleet. Doesn't mean all the main characters would have to die. Maybe go into hiding. Even if it was a mini comic book series, it'd be cool to see a more evenly matched war with the Vong.

And @LegoFanTexas‌, I was well into the EU years back with the Timothy Zahn books, pretty much every book that came out between the first three and the return of Thrawn double, 50 books or so - but wow, I've missed a lot!
    I've a feeling the encroachment of that alien force was coming in as I was starting to lose touch with it all, I seem to remember something about a new unknown force who thought badly of the Republic forces who retreated out of fear but were seen to be disrespectfully not burying their dead, or something like that.
    But somehow that all seems a bit too foreign to what I think of as that Star Wars universe, maybe I've turned into a grumpy old man already, but Star Wars that goes too far beyond the reaches and elements of the original films kinda stops being Star Wars to me.

I totally get what you mean, I read the Zahn books when they came out and most of the books during the 90s, but as 2000 approached the volume of books overwhelmed me, then I got married and had a family and out went that idea. :)

You didn't miss much, the general impression I get is that the quality of the writing fell off.

Do make sure you read the X-Wing books, at least the first 5 or so... Really cool explanation there on the double building of Super Star Destroyers.

The Lusankya, originally known as Executor II, was an Executor-class Star Dreadnought built by Kuat Drive Yards, as the sister ship to the Executor, which was built at Fondor.

Following its construction, the ship was buried beneath the surface of Coruscant as an emergency evacuation craft for the Emperor, where it served as Ysanne Isard's private prison after his death, and later as her command ship during the Bacta War.

When Isard was defeated, the Lusankya was acquired by the New Republic, serving in its starfleet until its destruction in the Yuuzhan Vong War.

@LegoFanTexas - thanks for that synopsis. Sounds like Palpatine wasn't such a bad guy. It'd be interesting if they wrote the what if stories where Palpatine lives and builds his grand fleet. Doesn't mean all the main characters would have to die. Maybe go into hiding. Even if it was a mini comic book series, it'd be cool to see a more evenly matched war with the Vong.

You bet...

Oh, Palpatine was evil, his primary goal was survival. It just so happens that his own survival was threatened by the Vong.

The question is... can a republic, a democracy with a thousand different demands and voices prepare for such a thing?

Perhaps once it is clear and obvious, sure it can... but until then, it is very hard to focus in one direction when so many people aren't aware of the threat.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,289
    I very much have my own understanding of Star Wars. I choose to forget about the Vong and in fact everything after ROTJ. The only EU stuff I am happy with is the Clone Wars, and there have even been moments of that which I prefer to forget! The idea of Order 66 being a biological microchip is one as it simply is not necessary to explain that part of the story.

@LegoFanTexas‌ - Just out of interest which is your favourite film?
    Empire Strikes Back, if I had to pick one, with A New Hope really, really close behind (for being the first and for being an independent story).

Frankly, if I was to be blunt, none of them are really very good, they are cheesy popcorn flicks not really meant to be taken QUITE this seriously... :)

My wife does sometimes say to me, "honey, you DO know Star Wars isn't real, right?"

I think I love the idea of it more than the reality of it, since so much of it doesn't actually make sense if it were "real". Too many things don't add up, but that of course is because they were never meant to be looked at quite this closely.

I tend to like the EU, up to a point. About 10 years or so after Endor is when it falls apart, give or take (or was it 11, I don't recall now).

The Thrawn era was very well done, but after that it was almost "bad person of the week". :)
  • BELTRADBELTRAD Scotland, United KingdomMember Posts: 90
    Just while this is going on what do you guys think some of the best books are? I have read the Zahn, Thrawn books, and his latest Scoundrels I thought was actually really good. Just finished Kenobi and loved it and looking for another good read (Or listen to since I normally go for Audio books)
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,289
    ^ I completely agree that the films are generally not all that great. There are some fantastic moments but equally the majority suffer from some fairly crippling issues (which I like to attribute to George). The pacing in Return of the Jedi for instance is a perfect example of how not to do it!

I like the idea of Star Wars, but not the execution, is how I would best summarise my thoughts.
    BELTRAD said:

Just while this is going on what do you guys think some of the best books are? I have read the Zahn, Thrawn books, and his latest Scoundrels I thought was actually really good. Just finished Kenobi and loved it and looking for another good read (Or listen to since I normally go for Audio books)

The X-Wing books were very good, at least the first batch of them (6 I think).

I haven't read any of the stuff in the past 10 years, so those books stand out the most, but it has all started to fade over time.
    Yeah, the X-Wing books were in my 50, I think they were a big part of Wedge Antilles becoming my favourite character. I loved the reveal of the legendary prison being an upside-down SSD buried on Coruscant! And ESB is my fave of the three films I accept too, ANH next for exactly the same reasons.
    It's a funny thing, I take the first wave of books as more canon than the prequel films,. Episode I was just so poor in every conceivable way, the lightsaber duels were the only good thing anywhere in it, thinking back I think they might have been part of me falling out of love with the books too.
    I was in my teens around then too, I'm sure them being the particular lens through which I was discovering the world was a big part of what captivated me.

I seem to remember the Corellian trilogy being good, though that's because of some of the story details near the end so I don't want to mention them and spoil it, and I can't be sure it's the right trilogy coz it was a while ago and I'm identifying them from internet lists! :P
    ^ Yea, several of the trilogy of books in the 90s were good...

And now that you bring it up, I think Ep 1 might have been the breaking point for me...

I bought my tickets in advance and was there at 12:01am with my girlfriend at the time (she was cool like that, she loved Sci-Fi as well).

I went to see Ep 2 at a normal time when it came out, and frankly, didn't even see Ep 3 in the theater at all I was so bummed out. And this is coming from someone who can quote the first three movies verbatim. :)

Back regarding the "Lusankya", yea that was pretty cool, the idea of burring a Super Star Destroyer inside the city and doing it without anyone knowing, that is pretty cool... Either a lot of people were executed or Palpatine used the force to make everyone forget about it.

BTW, it wasn't buried upside down, the artificial gravity was simply turned around in the prison section so that the prisoners were standing on the ceiling. When it took off, it was right side up, it simply used its shields and size to break through the city buildings which had been built on top of it, the vertical thrust was provided by a repulser lift cradle which held the ship and got it enough altitude for its main engines to fire.

It is likely that several million people lost their lives when it launched. Worse still, it jettisoned its lift cradle while still in the atmosphere, so it was firing its main engines while still above the city and dropped a multiple kilometer long repulser lift cradle back onto the city.

Not that Ysanne Isard cared about any of that of course. :)
    I wonder how many other Star Wars fans have the same story, I wasn't there so early for Episode I but I'm pretty sure I didn't bother seening Episode III, or at least I couldn't ever remember anything much about it.
    Saying that, have you come across the Machete order for watching the films? IV, V - II, III - VI. Apparently it adds a lot of suspense, leaves you wondering when Luke turns up in black, and you don't see his lightsaber for a while. I haven't tried it yet but I'd like to. (Plus, ignoring Episode I Jar Jar only gets a couple of lines!)

Ah yes! I couldn't quite remember the name (even though I've just noticed you'd mentioned it above! Doh!), and I just remember the prisoners knowing they were underground but every effort to get to surface just taking them deeper. It has a very mythological feel! Good times.

Say, I got into Firefly a while back, it kinda feels like I've been given Star Wars back in a better form before it got ruined! If you've not seen it you should check it out, it's only a 14 episode half-series and a film but that makes it a manageable size compared to all the other oversized epics, and it's properly cracking!
    :) I have watched FireFly about a dozen times now, the movie is good as well...

Shame that good stuff like that gets canceled, yet we get more reality TV...

It also made me a huge fan of Summer Glau, who did a really good job in the otherwise average Terminator: Sarah Conner Chronicles, and really hasn't been used properly since. As my wife puts it, she nailed the "Terminator Look (TM)" very well. :) She joked that we should hire Summer as our nanny, the kids would never disobey her!

Going back older, there are some real gems in Babylon 5 as well. Just cut out about half of the episodes (which were filler) and the core story is pretty cool.
    zipsforbananas
  • ZathrasZathras Member Posts: 70
    Most of the last season of Babylon 5 STILL draws my ire all these years later. Also no mention of the blond male telepath character will be made, he never existed. At all. Ever.
    ugh... I have a headache after reading all of this.
  • BELTRADBELTRAD Scotland, United KingdomMember Posts: 90
    Zathras said:

Most of the last season of Babylon 5 STILL draws my ire all these years later. Also no mention of the blond male telepath character will be made, he never existed. At all. Ever.

Have to agree love B5 but when I go back and watch it, roughly every year or so, season 5 is forgotten. Its one of those things, like firefly, look back and wonder what could have been if handled correctly.
    He didn't think he was getting a Season 5, so he had to stuff a lot in the last few episodes of Season 4.

Then he got his Season 5, with a reduced budget, or so I understand, and a move to another network.

That messes up so many things...