Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Would you read reviews about Collectible Minifiguers?

1UPminifig1UPminifig Member Posts: 18
Just as the title says, would you read reviews about Collectible Minifiguers?

Comments

• akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    edited September 2014
    There is already a very detailed and extensive review on each of the series on Eurobricks with great pictures and all. It is a tradition they have been folloging since Series 1. I don't know what would be the benefit of doing a separate one. :)
    tedward
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^ Yep those are very extensive and well written yet still largely unnecessary. There's really no need for anymore.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,324
    edited September 2014
    I look at the pictures only on eurobricks and ignore the crap writing that goes with them, along with the multiple pictures of the same figures with older ones from previous series.

It seems that he gets his freebie box way before anyone else, so no one really gets a chance to do anything both timely and better.
  • CHERUBboyCHERUBboy Member Posts: 98
    Even as a minifig fan, I find the reviews of CMF series tedious. I mean, they're minifigs. You either think a fig looks cool or doesn't. There's not much to say!
    LostInTranslationBumblepants
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 830
    I've seen a few people be a bit down on WhiteFang's reviews on Eurobricks, but the photography is excellent and do you really need to read anything further on the CMFs - it's not like they have any hidden features that need to be written about and explained. I also really like the way that he groups the similarly-themed CMFs together for group shots as well (so each to their own in this respect!)

It's also worth remembering that for at least half the people on EB, English isn't even their main language, but most of the time you could never tell!

legomatt
  • 1UPminifig1UPminifig Member Posts: 18
    Thanks all for the input.

I'm much more of a fan of minifigures than building/sets and so the reviews I've read lack the details/imaginative suggestions that I'm seeking. If you look at my profile, in particular the more recent Brickset minifigure reviews (Space Alien / Disco Dude/ Mariachi Guy), you'll see there is plenty to write about. (Of course, the question is, does anyone care?)

Some things aren't so obvious from a picture and since I have a passion for minifigures, I tend to notice 'historical' facts about individual molds/pieces.

I guess I'm looking for people similar to myself, those who see minifigures more than 'decorations' for the sets or the equivalent for amusement.

I tend to be disappointed in the minifigure reviews in general and wonder if anyone else is wishing that the reviews would cover more details, and what those are.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,541
    Re: whitefang - I can't fault the images at all. Usually covers all the angles. Gets the box early, so it's a proper detailed preview.

So with that said, as for the original question regarding cmf REviews, it's difficult to really consider the purpose of one, beyond expressing one's own opinion.
    But we live and die by our actions, so if you have something original and interesting to say, why not go for it, see if you find an audience.

Back to whitefang for a moment: I thoroughly applaud anybody trying to write with humour, or achieve a particular tone, in a non-native language. That's no easy feat, so i appreciate the effort he goes to in attempts to be both informative and conversational.

As a native english speaker, i often find occasions of broken english and other unusual turns of phrase interesting of themselves (albeit as a purely academic detour, and unrelated to the review itself), as it makes one consider the words and phrases being reached for, and whether my re-interpretation would be true reflection of the spirit of the message or not.

Most of the text is unnecessary of course, as a product preview is always going to be about the images mainly, but there's the occasional nugget regarding parts or themes in the written word, which can be interesting sometimes. Though i tend to skip the statistical analysis bit for, beyond the basic numbers per box, that's a pretty redundant exercise.
    edited September 2014
    Ok, you seemed so passionate about the little guys I read one - http://brickset.com/reviews/47937

Sorry - I wouldn't have bothered to read it and wouldn't read another one. Definitely no need for CMF reviews a picture says it all.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,541
    edited September 2014
    My above post was originally following on from @mr_benn's, but an edit has repositioned it slightly out of sync with the chatter. (Just in case anyone accidentally thinks i was commenting on 1up's post, which i wasn't - i haven't read any of 1up's reviews).

Similarly i assume @cheshirecat is referring to @1UPminifig's post above mine.
    edited September 2014
    I just skim read the same review as @cheshirecat.

In my view, no they are not needed, and there are way too many words. There are about 350 words before you even get to the description of the minifig parts. I'll also continue to look at photos and ignore weighty reviews that say nothing to me.

PS. Clutchers for the baseball team name is not a reference to Clutch Powers. It has the same origin though. Clutch is a reference to the strength of the hold of bricks when assembled together, something that lego gets right compared to other brands. A clutcher is also someone that holds something, so the name for a lego baseball team makes perfect sense.
  • B0SSKB0SSK In the PubMember Posts: 175
    I would reallly like a decent starwars minifig database with photos of each character.
    B0SSK said:

I would reallly like a decent starwars minifig database with photos of each character.

Under the browse minifiguer section of Brickset there is a database with all the photos of the Star wars minifigs and from all themes for that matter. Hope that helps.
    B0SSK
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,310
    ^So, are you spelling "minifigure" - "minifiguer" for a reason? Am I missing something?
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 497
    I wouldn't read Collectible Minifigure reviews for most of the reasons already stated. They're not sets, so it's rather much like admiring action figures or dolls. That kind of goes against the grain of why I collect and play with Lego. Don't get me wrong; I enjoy a unique or interesting-looking minifig. But they've always been accessories to sets in my mind, not focus (although Lego likes to make it seem that way in many licensed sets nowadays).
    dougts
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 541
    When it comes to CMFs, I like what this guy does: a photo showing all there is to see with a figure, as well as some commentary.

Then again, I'm biased!

When it comes to CMFs, I like what this guy does.

That guy is an old woman.
    CCC said:

That guy is an old woman.

This guy is a smiley face!
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    I collect a lot of CMS and enjoy reading about them before they arrive. The EB reviews by WhiteFang are quite helpful in deciding what to buy when they finally arrive on the shelves. He puts a lot of time and effort into this reviews, and the photos are excellent.

If you don't care to read them, fine. We each select which LEGO appeal to us, and let the other stuff fly by. I would not not knock the fine work he so lovingly does because it does add a lot to the LEGO community. He prepares these reviews because he adores LEGO. I have spent time with him (and his wife) in Singapore and Billund; he is a swell guy, who is willing to help anyone. We need more folks like him.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,261
    Reviewing Minifigures is a difficult art as it is easy to fall into the trap of simply describing the images. I know I have fallen into that trap on more than one occasion.

Personally I think there are two elements to getting it right. For a start you should consider their character and discuss either how similar to source material a figure is or whether they effectively represent a particular character in your opinion. Does the Hun Warrior look like a Hun Warrior?

The other factor for me is the pieces and prints. If you think a component is particularly useful, detailed or simply new I would always mention it rather than just describing what it is as the photos tell you that. The only case in which you should describe what is in the photo is when you think it is unclear what something is. C-3PO's restraining bolt in the Sandcrawler set is a perfect example of when it is appropriate.

Finally it is obviously important to avoid trying to make a review everything to everyone. Ensure the text compliments the images rather than the other way around and readers are able to take what they want from your review, whether that actually involves reading any of it or just looking at the pictures.

Those are my thoughts on the subject. Having reviewed plenty of Minifigures I can appreciate the challenges involved but I like to think I have found a nice balance.
    SilentMode
    Pitfall69 said:

^So, are you spelling "minifigure" - "minifiguer" for a reason? Am I missing something?

That has to be the right way to spell it, because as the guy who focuses on minfiguers
    getting that wrong would make me a crappy reviewer.

(checks LEGO.com)

Um...............................................

( checks reviews)

Glad that spelling didn't end up in the reviews!
    Pitfall69
    legogal said:

I collect a lot of CMS and enjoy reading about them before they arrive. The EB reviews by WhiteFang are quite helpful in deciding what to buy when they finally arrive on the shelves. He puts a lot of time and effort into this reviews, and the photos are excellent.

If you don't care to read them, fine. We each select which LEGO appeal to us, and let the other stuff fly by. I would not not knock the fine work he so lovingly does because it does add a lot to the LEGO community. He prepares these reviews because he adores LEGO. I have spent time with him (and his wife) in Singapore and Billund; he is a swell guy, who is willing to help anyone. We need more folks like him.

I meant no disrespect to Whitefang in my post, in fact before this thread I had never even heard of the site he was on. When I was commenting on the reviews I meant the ones on brick-set ( being the only LEGO site I use) and not on the LEGO reviewer community at large.

I've schemed through some of his series reviews and there quite decent with the pictures being the highlight ( especially the group shots)

CapnRex101 please ignore my last comment as it certainly doesn't apply to you, your stuff is amazing! I read your Team GB boxer Minifigure review and it was very detailed and would be very helpful and persuasive if I was on the fence about buying the figure.

Sadly your reviews seem to be the exception rather then the rule on this site.

Thanks all for the input.

I tend to be disappointed in the minifigure reviews in general and wonder if anyone else is wishing that the reviews would cover more details, and what those are.

The word "disappointed" is very personal, subjective and vague. "In general" is a composite of all the sites/reviews that I personally have read. My point of view is a composite of my experiences and preferences. It has nothing to say about the quality of those reviews that I found disappointing (due to lack of enough details, that I am looking for*).

(* Before there is an overreaction, I did provide an example of the reviews I was writing. There was someone who commented that I had 350 words before I get to build. I have several paragraphs for the polybag that are slightly different each review - because I keep finding something new!)

I recently had to talk with Huw because someone had done - what could be best described as a retaliatory/aggressive action - against my Brickset profile. For a few reasons, I believe someone did so because they were misunderstanding things from this forum thread. Huw was a great help (thanks Huw!)

From the earliest responses to my post, the satisfaction from minifigure reviews came from good photos and a short, well-written overview (the majority response, though, was that it was unnecessary to review them). For me, these just aren't enough. And I wonder if there is a small segment of others that feel the same way.

I never mentioned that any reviews were "bad", or that all were not good. I used "in general" as a composite term, the overall - think of calculating averages from math class. And all I said was that I was personally disappointed the majority of the time. Just like the disappointment someone gets if they get a slice of a delicious cake but the its cut too thin to be satisfying.

Since discovering Brickset a few years ago, my personal favorite reviewers have been CapnRex101 and Odeinoichus and I appreciate the details that they put into their minifigure reviews (whether individual or in sets). I won't be crass enough to mention those who are my least favorite review/ers and would ask that no one make an assumption.

I'm sorry for this long-winded post but there seems to be some confusion about my use of there term "in general" in the above quote.

Please be aware that its possible I don't know of the same Lego/Minifigure websites, reviewers, reviews, etc. that you do. Please, tell me about them rather than assuming that my vague/unspecified comments relate to any specific site/reviewer or review.

I'm aware that my preferences for minifigure reviews are not the majority's preference. I didn't say I could write better reviews or that what I want in a review should be what everyone does in their reviews (though I think I'm in competition for writing long ones).

I started this thread because I really wanted to learn more about what people liked in their minifigure reviews, and find (hopefully) someone like myself. It was never meant be a comment on any reviewer, review or site. Or to offend anyone. Or to start an argument.
    CCC said:

I just skim read the same review as @cheshirecat.
    PS. Clutchers for the baseball team name is not a reference to Clutch Powers. It has the same origin though. Clutch is a reference to the strength of the hold of bricks when assembled together, something that lego gets right compared to other brands. A clutcher is also someone that holds something, so the name for a lego baseball team makes perfect sense.

I didn't get a chance to say thank you for this information! This was helpful. When I can, I will edit the review.

I wouldn't read Collectible Minifigure reviews for most of the reasons already stated. They're not sets, so it's rather much like admiring action figures or dolls. That kind of goes against the grain of why I collect and play with Lego. Don't get me wrong; I enjoy a unique or interesting-looking minifig. But they've always been accessories to sets in my mind, not focus (although Lego likes to make it seem that way in many licensed sets nowadays).

This is funny because you've stated this so well for me, except I'm the reverse. :-)

When it comes to CMFs, I like what this guy does: a photo showing all there is to see with a figure, as well as some commentary.

Then again, I'm biased!

:-) Picture is worth a thousand words....its just I want to read the thousand words too!

(Sincerely, nice idea!)
    legogal said:

The EB reviews by WhiteFang are quite helpful in deciding what to buy when they finally arrive on the shelves. He puts a lot of time and effort into this reviews, and the photos are excellent. .... I would not not knock the fine work he so lovingly does because it does add a lot to the LEGO community. He prepares these reviews because he adores LEGO.....We need more folks like him.

Remember he also gets a free box often six weeks before anyone else, so his reviews are always first out.

I just find the language he uses a little strange. There are probably 4-6 minifigs per series that he cannot believe how fabulous it is that lego have produced such a fabulous minifig and that he could never have believed how fantastic and fabulous the figure is and that he could never have believed they could have been produced in such a fantastic way by lego.
    Pitfall69
    CCC, I understand what you are saying. I think that it is cool that the same person reviews the minifigs before they arrive, so that we get a little advance info before buying any.

Also English is not WhiteFang's first language; I believe it is Chinese, and it is difficult for him to write perfectly in English. But I almost always understand what he is saying. (And my Chinese vocabulary consists of five words, so thank god he does them in English.)

He is quite positive in his reviews because he adores LEGO. So yes, he is biased from that point of view. With that in mind, it is neat to see him so excited about a CMS. He talks about LEGO this way in real life, too! I can understand how someone could view him as being too positive in his reviews, and that is fine, too.

The parts I like the most in his reviews are the photos. They are outstanding and really help show the details of each figure. This is hard to discern from packaging and other materials associated with CMS.

It is great seeing a discussion of CMS reviews. I am open to comments from all points of view and love collecting the little critters.
    For my money all reviewers who get sent free stuff are a little overly positive. Not that they mean to or even are biased or 'bought' (in some cases) - it's just that there has to be a lack of appreciation of value when you haven't paid your own hard earned money for it. That's probably part of why companies like lego do it.
    SilentMode
    ^^ It wouldn't bother me if the reviews were in Chinese. So long as the photos are there, and the distribution, that's all I need from the reviews.
    Pitfall69
    I understand what you are saying.
    And yet I want to read reviews and see photos BEFORE the figs hit the stores because the box photos are too small and limited to see all the figs and their details.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,056
    Having now got some of series 12 there were a few things i was syrprised about having only looked at pics and not reading reviews, e.g the Hun's cape/cloak being a fleece material. However little details like that are quite nice to find when opening the bag, so i think I'll stick to not reading reviews of minifigures, all I really want to know before hand is what the 'characters' included are so a list of names it good enough, then the box art can do the rest.
    Series 12 is out already? I'll have to pick some up to review.

I was thinking of doing pictures with my minifiguer reviews, but Whitefang already does them much better then I could ever do with my cheap Metropcs phone. With English not being his first language the text isn't to bad, however I would prefer more of it.

For my money all reviewers who get sent free stuff are a little overly positive. Not that they mean to or even are biased or 'bought' (in some cases) - it's just that there has to be a lack of appreciation of value when you haven't paid your own hard earned money for it. That's probably part of why companies like lego do it.</blockquote

I can see that, I know I'm more forgiving to sets I get as gifts then the ones a buy with my own hard earned money.

That all ended up as a quote for some reason only the top paragraph is Cheshirecat
    do you guys think its necessary to have all the pieces to review a Minifigure? Sometimes I have the whole think except one small part that I've lost over the years.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,261
    ^ I think that sums the situation up nicely. If you think you could review it without a piece there, just by looking at photos, why could someone who might read a review not do the same and get equal detail just by looking at an image?
    Bumblepants

do you guys think its necessary to have all the pieces to review a Minifigure? Sometimes I have the whole think except one small part that I've lost over the years.

Well other people review and analyse sets that they haven't got and make videos about sets that are not yet out based on their perception from a few images, so you can do what you like. So long as you do it for yourself, and don't mind other people's reactions to them if you publish them, whatever makes you happy.
  • vynsanevynsane Member Posts: 179
    CCC said:

I was under the impression that the name was a double-entendre in reference to both "clutch power" as suggested above, and the idea of the "Clutch Hitter" phenomenon, meaning someone who can always hit a home run in a dire situation (two outs) thereby inferring that the entire team is comprised of clutch hitters. I don't think it is a reference to merely holding something - that is not a behavior solely relegated to professional baseball players, after all. I've held plenty of objects in my time, and I only had one dismal year in little league, for example ;)

As for the topic at hand, I have to say - I enjoy reading (and writing) more thoroughly detailed reviews, regardless of whether or not it's a single minifigure or an enormous set. While pictures are worth a thousand words, sometimes they can't convey the words that actual words can. That might not be for everyone, but of course it's not. You can't please all of the people all of the time. At the end of the day, write reviews that you would want to read if written by someone else, and you'll find an audience.

Series 12 is out already? I'll have to pick some up to review.

Here's the problem; Whitefang has the mini figures way before anyone can get their hands on them. Many people already have bought some Series 12 Minifigures. You don't have any. Why would anyone read a review after the CMF's have come out?

Pitfall69 said:

Here's the problem; Whitefang has the mini figures way before anyone can get their hands on them. Many people already have bought some Series 12 Minifigures. You don't have any. Why would anyone read a review after the CMF's have come out?

Two reasons I can think of:
    - to read a particular person's review;
    - to obtain someone else's perspective.
    vynsane said:

CCC said:

I was under the impression that the name was a double-entendre in reference to both "clutch power" as suggested above, and the idea of the "Clutch Hitter" phenomenon, meaning someone who can always hit a home run in a dire situation (two outs) thereby inferring that the entire team is comprised of clutch hitters. I don't think it is a reference to merely holding something - that is not a behavior solely relegated to professional baseball players, after all. I've held plenty of objects in my time, and I only had one dismal year in little league, for example ;)
    I don't know about clutch hitters. Given the two baseball teams are The Clutchers and The Stackers, and the fact that this is a lego product, I think the lego-building related name is the primary reason.
    Pitfall69
  • B0SSKB0SSK In the PubMember Posts: 175

B0SSK said:

Under the browse minifiguer section of Brickset there is a database with all the photos of the Star wars minifigs and from all themes for that matter. Hope that helps.
    Many thanks buddy, I did not realise this !!! :)
    edited September 2014

Pitfall69 said:

Two reasons I can think of:
    - to read a particular person's review;
    - to obtain someone else's perspective.
    Don't we get other people's perspectives within the many Minifigure discussions? To me it would be overkill. Unless the review is overwhelmingly different or better than Whitefang's; I won't be reading another.

Pitfall69 said:

Unless the review is overwhelmingly different or better than Whitefang's; I won't be reading another.

Then you'd be looking to specifically read his review, as opposed to a minifigure review, which is fair enough.
    CCC said:

vynsane said:

CCC said:

I don't know about clutch hitters. Given the two baseball teams are The Clutchers and The Stackers, and the fact that this is a lego product, I think the lego-building related name is the primary reason.

I'm gonna side with CCC on this one, it's most likely a reference to the building version of clutch. However either are very possible, I'm just happy it's not in reference to Clutch Powers.

The sooner that movie is forgotten the better....

Hey SilantMode are you going to review the new series of Collectible Minifiguers? Your a really good photography and your descriptions are funny, I'd love to see you do more work!
    B0SSK said:

B0SSK said:

Many thanks buddy, I did not realise this !!! :)
    It took me forever to find the browse minifigure section of Brickset, glad I could help and save you a little time. :)
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 541
    My two cents - I have never and never will read a review about a CMF. To me, the point of reviews of Lego are to review the build and play value. CMF's are completely summed up by a picture, which is provided already in the database by Lego. All accessories are clearly visible. There are no building techniques to discuss, no interesting pieces that might be hidden in the build (yes there might be new pieces, but again, they are always clearly visible in the provided picture). Sorry, that's just my opinion. But you can write as many reviews as you'd like... : )