Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Finally have a LEGO room

Just over a month ago my wife and I moved into her sisters house since she and her family are moving to England. We left behind a two bedroom condo for a four bedroom house. I can only tell you how happy I was to know that a LEGO room was in my future.

The house needs a lot of work and so my room is going to have a transformation to get it up to spec. My wife and I agreed on the 3rd largest room though it is still a good size being 13.5 feet by 12 feet and almost a perfect square. It has a nice closet so I can store boxes.

I have numerous ideas as to how I want things to look though I am open to suggestions. One thing I'd love to have is a high shelf all the way around the room so I can set up train track on it. I plan to have lower shelves for displaying sets. I suggested glass cabinets to my wife and she laughed at me. Posters and the such are a definite as well. Gotta deck the halls.

Here are some early photos( yes, there is writing on the walls. Their kids destroyed this house). All that has been done so far has been to remove the nasty carpet, paint and sweep up. Right now all my containers are sitting in the room waiting for proper placement. Primarily everything that goes into this room is going to be sets that have been built or are going to be built in a short while. The rest of my collection, which are unopened boxes, sit in my business warehouse because it is the only place that can handle so many boxes.

Does anyone know if there is a thread for LEGO room projects? I searched but came up empty handed. If not we should start one so others can get ideas and be amazed by others rooms.
knoosebrickupdateprevereSirBenbobabricksmadforLEGOKeiendlittletoki

Comments

• Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 990
    See this thread:

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/2399/what-have-you-done-to-your-house-to-accommodate-your-lego-hobby-addiction/p1

There's also a thread on displaying collections:

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/14347/lego-collections/p1

I'll follow this with interest though, and live vicariously through you until I one day have my own LEGO room. Best of luck.

knoose
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258
    Congrats on your new addition! The birth of a Lego room is a joyous occasion.
    CupIsHalfEmptyalexwil
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    Thanks guys. I can't wait til it is completed though I fear that will never happen.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    edited August 2014
    It eventually gets to the point it has to happen. :o). One day you won't be able to open the door because your better half has precariously stacked something they shouldn't have and will have since toppled over in front of the door swing. True story.
    Lego_Star
    It feels like it is one of those projects that will always change and always need improving upon. I look forward to the fun and the challenge. More pics will follow very shortly.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,356
    edited August 2014
    I like to think I have a LEGO room, although my parents still prefer to use the term lounge. I suppose they are strictly correct, but I have just about taken over!

The best of luck to you @iancam33, this is a very worthwhile project and I look forward to seeing your progress.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,274
    Being single and owning my own home means I currently have 4 LEGO rooms. The living room, dining room either have stuff on display, boxed on a table or my in progress bins for sorting into my BL store. The two extra bedrooms are my boxed collection and packed up built sets from moving in one room, and my store inventory and packing supplies in the other. If I was staying in the house I'd work on finishing the basement and then I'd have 1700 sq feet of LEGO room but that isn't likely to happen.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    I would love to basically claim our basement for a large layout, seeing as I'm the one who spends the most time down there anyway. With two little ones in the house though, I know moving stuff outside of the current display room is probably a bad idea...unless I want it to become "communal" LEGO.

It's not that I lack for shelf space to set stuff on. I just want more room for tables to do an actual layout of some sort so I don't have to keep building displays in sections. I originally designed the room where I store my bricks as a media room, but it kind of looks like a shipping container of LEGO exploded in there right now.
    Right now I having a hard time figuring out where I want to put book shelves to store bins and how many more storage bins I will need down the road. Not to mention I am torn as to where I should put my table and how big a table I really need. This room will also house my desk and act as a business work station.
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    I am about 75% done with my LEGO room. Target had a really good sale on those tall metal racks. I bought and set up 6 racks and they worked and looked good. Now I'm at the point of sorting the bins of loose brick and parting put a bunch of sets. I am having a much harder time then I thought I would have figuring out the best way to store sorted bricks.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,575
    That is really one thing I am looking to in getting a house. Getting my LEGO room so I can start to build all of my classic town stuff and build my mods to build my layout complete with trains and Airport shuttle.. right now all are imprisoned in boxes and crates.
    @thanos75: it is hard figuring out how to store/organize them when sorted. There are so many ways to group pieces it is overwhelming. This is the task that awaits me. Properly organizing similar pieces so they stay together is tough. Space is a hot commodity.
  • Kene1023Kene1023 Member Posts: 14
    iancam33,
    I have two boys, 8 and 6 and they are currently in the process of destroying the room, as you see in the pictures.
    I wanted a build, play, display and sort room. this is my Lego room.
    As silly as it sounds I have made my tables and the shelf I have hung on the wall a standard base plate dimension. My shelves are one base plate wide and the center table is a 6X20 base plates and the tables that surround 3/4 of the room are 3 baseplates deep. I store 2'x3' bins under all of the tables, unbuilt sets are under there too. Odd part storage is in a corner next to the breaker panel. I have a stand up computer desk on one wall and Ikea small metal drawer cabinets to sort/file instructions in. I have a build and sort area at the computer end of the table. It is currently used to sort some recent acquisitions. The nice/collectible/valuable Minifigures are on a small shelf not easily in reach but the boys have found a way.

I would like to change my train shelves to base plate width shelves soon, I have too many to store on the small shelves. My aircraft collection has outgrown its shelf too. and I still want to add a shelf for the ships.

My wife suggested I reserve the end of the table for sorting and building, good idea, if we can stick to it, it forces me to put away and sort to clear a spot to build. I did have much luck with a train track on the tables, I found that the boys would accidentally leave pieces on the tracks and then derail the train while not looking at it as it was running. I know they are only 6 and 8 years old. Now we wait for stormy days and take over the living room floor for train setups.

I use bins for my collection, they used to be just color bins, but lately I have run out of space in my red open bins and had to dump them into 2'x3' bins. A p-touch label maker has helped tremendously.

I like your wood floors, much easier than my concrete. Now that I am getting older, it seems like I cannot have too much light in the room.
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 764
    It's when I see photos like this that I realise I don't have an addiction. In fact, I am now questioning if I can even claim to have a real interest :-)
    Legoboymssloan1962
    ^Haha. If you're here you have more than an interest.

@Kene1023: you're setup has a lot of promise you just need an organizing fairy to drop by. I like the shelf that runs all along the wall. How on earth do you find anything though when you are MOCing?
  • Kene1023Kene1023 Member Posts: 14

iancam33,
    If it is a piece I have singled out I go to its bin, If is is a standard brick, I go to the color I need, and set the bin in my lap and start raking through the bin. We also have a "sorting tray" we dump the red or yellow bin in it and a quick look will find the piece and an easy pour back into its bin.

I need to add my boys now have the run of the room, when I am not home. Most of the mess is made by them, I now spend 80% of my time in there sorting and putting bins away. This too will pass, they are getting to the point they are looking for specific parts and cannot find them, so we start putting things away and moving stuff to start looking. It is not as bad as it looks.

Now to my philosophy,
    I know you did not ask but i thought i might throw it out here.

I spent many summer days digging through suit cases during the afternoon showers, pulling bricks to build with, and searching for the one piece I know I have and have not used yet. My boys will often ask where I got that piece from, my answers are childhood, before their birth, after their birth, as a set, or auction, or yard sale.

The bins give me the kinetic feel as I rake through them and toss the needed pieces into a smaller bin, or directly to the table.
  • AndyPolAndyPol KentMember Posts: 387
    edited August 2014
    iancam33 said:

Just over a month ago my wife and I moved into her sisters house since she and her family are moving to England.

I have a LEGO room in every room in our house, much to my wife's annoyance! :-(

Don't get complaints from the children though! :-)

Seriously, it's a great room though, I'm very jealous. If anyone has a sister (or any member of family that has a house they don't want anymore, let me know!)

chuckp
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,575
    iancam33 said:

^Haha. If you're here you have more than an interest.

@Kene1023: you're setup has a lot of promise you just need an organizing fairy to drop by. I like the shelf that runs all along the wall. How on earth do you find anything though when you are MOCing?

Even though I have no dedicated room for displaying my layout yet, I have my parts sorted by type (roughly) in shoebox size bins, and have large bins I have slopes and brick at in what used to be a dining room in my apt. Funny how memory can help you though when recalling where parts are regardless of the last time you saw them. Though I would imagine having kids running amok through the room would throw a wrench into where a part is sometimes.
    I have been meaning to pare down the brick I have (especially 2xX) but have not gotten around to it, only because I may need that brick in the future when doing displays so I may pare it down and store it in my garage.

The ultimate problem I have though is MOCing with all of the different parts I have. Feeling like a kid in a candy store sometimes and get sensory overload on how best to build something
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 519
    That is a great size for a Lego room! I can't wait to see your updates. :)

Every time a Lego room is created, a Minifigure finds a lost accessory.

This is my room - hope it helps!

imageimage
    1.jpg 808.2K
    3.jpg 902.8K
    8.JPG 704.8K
    roxioAdeelZubairCircleKchuckphleonffuRirinette
    ^I love how clean and organized your setup is. Very nice.

One of the big problems that I face now is I don't have shelf space for display items. I can really only display small sets. A trip to ikea is needed.