Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Collection Storage Help

Hey Guys
This topic might the similar to already existing discussions.
I have been reading through the internet and Brickset Forum to find information about LEGO brick storage in sunlight/daylight and likely. But still, I am not sure if my collection is safe - I store 99% of my LEGO in a room that used to be a wine cellar; which has nice shelves for display, plenty of space and a cooled temperature. The room is basically filled with LEGO - on the floor, shelves and tables.
My worry is the single small window that the room has; I store many of my minifigures right at the window. Direct sunlight never enters the room, only light reflected from the sky/clouds enters during the daytime. The window faces north and the sun goes around south, I say again; the sunlight never enters the room, not even the grate in the front is lit.
Here is a few photos of the situation:

Thanks to all of you.

Comments

• Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    I don't know all of the physical properties of UV rays in light, but if you have concerns about this setup, you could get some UV filter film to put over the window and block out any UV rays that might be slipping through. You can buy it at Home Depot or Lowes and it's pretty easy to install (basically a big sticker that goes on the window).
  • Yeah, I thought about that once, but does it affect the light income?
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 Member Posts: 11,454
    Not really. We have a UV protective foyer window in our home.
    I would be more concerned about what might be down in your cellar ;)
    Renegade007cjhThanos75richlbobabricks
  • Lol. Thanks, guess I will go get some protective.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Member Posts: 10,762
    I think in any case, keep LEGO out of direct sunlight. I believe some people have noticed a bit of yellowing/tanning due to other factors (I believe smoke also can tint the LEGO too, but not certain)
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    @Pitfall69‌ ...... Gotta love some Evil Dead. The best B- movie horror film ever. Next to Kate Upton it's the best thing to ever come out of Michigan.
    Pitfall69
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 Member Posts: 1,431
    @Thanos75 - being a Yankee fan, I'll have to disagree with you. Love live the Captain! Oh yeah. In case my wife sees this... her too. :-)
    No no. I'm a die hard Yankees fan. Jeter is theshit. HHe's just talking about a hot chick that happens to he dating a Detroit Tiger.
    We have officially hijacked this guys post...lol.
    Kate Upton was born in Michigan I think. Being from Ohio and a die-hard Buckeye it's even hard for me to say the "M" word but in her case it's worth it.
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister Member Posts: 212
    I am sure I speak for all true AFOLs, when venturing out from their Lego caves after a hard days' creativity .... there's 'sunlight' out there???
  • bobabricksbobabricks Member Posts: 1,842
    Thanos75 said:

Kate Upton was born in Michigan I think. Being from Ohio and a die-hard Buckeye it's even hard for me to say the "M" word but in her case it's worth it.

I'm actually not surprised that it only took 11 comments to get to here from UV light ruining Lego. That's this forum for ya. :P

Thanos75 said:

I'm actually not surprised that it only took 11 comments to get to here from UV light ruining Lego. That's this forum for ya. :P
    I'm totally to blame here. If he didn't say his Lego were in a cellar, I would have nothing :)

bobabricks
    Just trying to have some fun... Oh yeah forgot the :) to make it ok :) .

And to be on topic just put up the UV film and switch to LED light bulbs and you should be fine.
    bobabricks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2014
    I got some UV/Solar film; covering the whole window and looks pretty decent - but not that easy to put up. Done, with that. Thanks.

"And to be on topic just put up the UV film and switch to LED light bulbs and you should be fine."

About that LED light, why is that?

Traditional incandescent lights and fluorescent lights give off UV. Over time, this can damage your Lego.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Member Posts: 1,842
    You could also put something on top of that hole, should work just fine. Maybe even enough autumns will let those leaves fill up to the top. :P
  • MatthewMatthew Administrator Posts: 3,714
    ^ Yeah, if you wanted a cross section of a compost heap outside your window...
  • Alright, the lights are manually turned on and I and only turn them on when inside the cellar (ofc), which is about 1 hour per day. For the rest of the time the room is cold, dark, no pets, no smoke.
    I think the UV filter will do enough for now. But I will keep an eye out for LEDs.
  • OldfanOldfan Member Posts: 704
    Depending on where you live, a dehumidifier might be helpful in the summertime; here in Chicagoland USA, I'm emptying the basement unit twice a day! But that's probably best for boxes and instructions, I can't imagine the ABS being affected by high relative humidity levels?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Member Posts: 10,762
    Oldfan said:

Depending on where you live, a dehumidifier might be helpful in the summertime; here in Chicagoland USA, I'm emptying the basement unit twice a day! But that's probably best for boxes and instructions, I can't imagine the ABS being affected by high relative humidity levels?

Well I'm guessing you have to watch out for Mold if the area is moist/humid a lot. But that can be said for most things.