Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Display case question...

TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,755
Never bought a display case before... but looking for one that would take four modulars in a row, so a footprint of 32 by 128 studs and with suitable height for a three storey building...

Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

Thanks

Comments

• The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 2,456
    I don’t know about 4 in a row and older models, but Wicked Brick do display cases for every modular since Assembly Square and you could put them side by side - https://www.wickedbrick.com/search?type=product&q=Modular*

I’m not paid to advertise Wicked Brick by the way! - but have a few good displays from them. The price is relatively high but the quality and durability are excellent. 
    TheFew
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 1,357
    iDisplayIt also has some cases for modulars, including one for 4 side-by-side. It's not compatible with Town Hall though. From the photos, it will work with Grand Emporium though, so that's a pretty good height. If you want to include one of the taller modulars, just double-check the height:

https://www.idisplayit.com/lego-display-cases/modular-buildings/

BTW: I have some of iDisplayIt's display stands but not any of their display cases, so I can't speak to the quality of those.
    TheFew
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,755
    @The_Rancor many thanks. Will take a look at the stuff. Ideally want to get all 4 in a row... Corner Garage, Brick Bank, Diner & Detective Office. 
    @autolycus many thanks for the link. I am UK based, so shipping may be prohibitive. But the prices look fairly reasonable!
    TheFew said:
    @autolycus many thanks for the link. I am UK based, so shipping may be prohibitive. But the prices look fairly reasonable!
    They're based in the UK. I just gave the US link out of habit. Should have noticed you're in England. Looks like shipping to actually be pretty cheap for you. Here's the UK site:

https://www.idisplayit.co.uk/
    @autolycus well that's just plain assume thanks!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,655
    I have been thinking of trying to find a fairly inexpensive bookcase with glass doors so I can try to keep some dust from accumulating on the modulars or other sets for something like my mods (if I cannot put them up on display in a MOC Town anyway). However, they are not really cheap to buy. Ikea has ones that look nice, but are over 200 USD and while that may be somewhat a good deal I just do not have those funds at this time.
    TheFew
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,047
    I prefer Wicked Brick cases to iDisplayIt, the joins at the corners are neater.

We've reviewed plenty of them: https://brickset.com/news?query=wicked brick
    TheFewSumoLego
    I have been thinking of trying to find a fairly inexpensive bookcase with glass doors so I can try to keep some dust from accumulating on the modulars or other sets for something like my mods (if I cannot put them up on display in a MOC Town anyway). However, they are not really cheap to buy. Ikea has ones that look nice, but are over 200 USD and while that may be somewhat a good deal I just do not have those funds at this time.
    Some of the ikea book cases and display cases I have are good - but they all have little gaps that let dust in!
    madforLEGO
    Huw said:
    I prefer Wicked Brick cases to iDisplayIt, the joins at the corners are neater.

We've reviewed plenty of them: https://brickset.com/news?query=wicked brick
    Thanks.  I guess when parting with a decent amount of pocket money, getting a good product matters.
    madforLEGO
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,484
    TheFew said:
    Some of the ikea book cases and display cases I have are good - but they all have little gaps that let dust in!
    I wouldn't worry about it. When getting to that size, a decent looking bit of furniture with glass doors looks nicer than a huge perspex box. So long as you can align the join between the doors with a break in the display.
    TheFewgmonkey76madforLEGO
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 993
    TheFew said:
    There are tutorials on YouTube showing how to make IKEA cases better sealed from dust - at least the DETOLF range anyway. 
    TheFewgmonkey76
  • MarshallmarioMarshallmario Madison WIMember Posts: 317
    @madforLEGO so if you're just looking for one piece...Craigs list under curio cabinets or book cases. Huge variety in styles and sizes, they don't really seem to sell that fast around here so pricing gets better with time. Even used it's not a heavy usage item so most are in excellent shape.
    TheFewgmonkey76madforLEGO
    TheFew said:
    There are tutorials on YouTube showing how to make IKEA cases better sealed from dust - at least the DETOLF range anyway. 
    I'll take a look. Thanks. I have a couple of deltofs and some Billy's with glass doors. All permit dust!
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 381
    I just added two of these cabinets from ikea. I was able to fit 15 Modulars in one cabinet with 3 per shelf. I had to leave out one glass shelf in the middle section for taller builds. They are a bit pricey at $450 but that’s about $30 per modular before tax. 
    560HeliportTheFewmadforLEGOMarshallmario
    @sweetness34 looks awesome!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,655
    @madforLEGO so if you're just looking for one piece...Craigs list under curio cabinets or book cases. Huge variety in styles and sizes, they don't really seem to sell that fast around here so pricing gets better with time. Even used it's not a heavy usage item so most are in excellent shape.

Yeah, good idea. I wish I could have gone to a local Sears here were they were likely selling off their jewelry display cases and stuff like that, unfortunately I just do not have the room at the moment for larger cases like that.
    Marshallmario
  • cguglielmicguglielmi CanadaMember Posts: 14
    I just added two of these cabinets from ikea. I was able to fit 15 Modulars in one cabinet with 3 per shelf. I had to leave out one glass shelf in the middle section for taller builds. They are a bit pricey at $450 but that’s about $30 per modular before tax. 
    What kind of cabinet is that? It looks sort of like a Billy bookcase but those don't have glass shelves as far as I know and the shelves aren't as deep.
    What kind of cabinet is that? It looks sort of like a Billy bookcase but those don't have glass shelves as far as I know and the shelves aren't as deep.

Switchfoot55madforLEGOAstrobrickspxchrisgmonkey76cguglielmi
    Random question about the Liatorp: is it possible to get them pretty close to each other, or do the crowns keep them several inches apart if you have 2 or more in a row?
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 Yellowstone, 1883Member Posts: 3,034
    ^Based on the final picture in the original group of photos with displayed items, it appears to be a gap between two of them side-by-side. Maybe as little as 2" up to 4"? I can't quite tell based on the picture. 
    autolycus
    edited November 22
    autolycus said:
    Random question about the Liatorp: is it possible to get them pretty close to each other, or do the crowns keep them several inches apart if you have 2 or more in a row?
    I didn’t measure but it’s probably 2-3 inches. If you want them flush you would have to leave off the crown and the pieces at the base on the sides. I believe they are more for looks than stability. 

The gap isn’t too bad. I actually have an electrical outlet there that I was thinking about running an extension cord for lighting on top. 
    Switchfoot55Brickfan50autolycus