Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Which format do you use to view the forums?

rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
edited August 2014 in Forum Operation
In the ongoing effort to organize the forum in a matter that is best consumed by the masses, please indicate which forum view you use.

Which format do you use to view the forums? 192 votes

Recent Discussions (single list of discussions, ordered by latest post)
35% 68 votes
Category Preview (categories with the five most recent discussions)
58% 112 votes
Category List (list of categories, no discussion preview)
6% 12 votes

Comments

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    Is there not a way to have it be part of the settings so that everyone can choose the default view they want?
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    edited August 2014
    Yes it is. This information isn't for the purpose of setting a global default. It will help guide how we organize categories, determine announcements, etc.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    Ah, cool.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    Thanks for voting thus far. Preliminary results show that there's still a fairly mixed usage, so we'll continue to be mindful that that's the case.

Some of the things we wrestle with:

1. The right number of categories: too many pushes the infrequent ones very far down the list, while too few means discussions are more easily overlooked.

2. The right number of announcements: too many and they're unwieldy/obnoxious

3. "Announce in Category only" vs "Announce in Category + Recent Discussions": The former is tidy, but people in "Recent Discussions" view don't see them as readily. The latter contributes to #2.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,814
    I always use the category preview. I think I'd go mad if I did it by recent discussions.
    cheshirecat
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,909
    I'd go mad if I used Category preview.
    dougtsLostInTranslationdrdavewatfordlegomattMatthew
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    I use all three, category preview if I feel like seeing what's new under specific categories, recent discussions to just see what's new and category list mainly only for marketplace so I can see everything marketplace. I also use the bookmark to keep tabs on discussions I'm very interested in. :)
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,293
    edited August 2014
    Soon the disbelievers will see the light, and all will gather under the flag of 'recent discussions', in the sure and certain knowledge that it is the only sensible way to view the forum.
    Bumblepantsbobabricksdougts
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Well quite clearly the poll speaks for itself - category preview is the best choice for the majority of us who like organisation and structure. Unsurprisingly a sizeable minority continue to dwell is the befuddled mess that is 'recent discussions'.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited August 2014
    Some people visit the library, others hang out in the pub.
    bobabricks
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,293
    /adds @cheshirecat‌ to 'the list'...
    bobabricks
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 621

Well quite clearly the poll speaks for itself - category preview is the best choice for the majority of us who like organisation and structure. Unsurprisingly a sizeable minority continue to dwell is the befuddled mess that is 'recent discussions'.

If you're used to (and comfortable with) the forum over at Bricklink, then "Recent Discussions" is probably what you'd enjoy here at Brickset, IMO. At least Brickset gives you a choice!

• timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    I tend to start off with the Recent Discussions view to get a sense of what is "trending" and then switch to the Category Preview for a more organized experience. Enjoy both though (never used the straight Category List).

As a practical example, the reason I saw this topic was by using the Recent Discussions view. The Forum category is buried fairly far down on the page and I often get bogged down well before I reach the lower depths of Brickset.
    bobabricksrocaoAndor