Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Suggestions on keeping my minifigures in perfect condition !

falconthundersfalconthunders Member Posts: 25
Hello, this is my first post.
In the beginning of 2013 I got addicted to collecting superheroes minifigs.
Almost 2 years later i have collected Every minifigure ever created, which includes Every Sdcc promo. These are the expensive rare ones. I even have one set of that $2400 2012 toyfair figures .

I have many placed in a lego box i made using 1x6x5 transclear windows. Its absolutely Beautiful and a sight to see.

Heres where I need Help. I got 2nd new penguin mini figure from the old batman set,and was comparing it the the MINT one in the lego case, after expecting it was perfect except for a small crack that was not there a few months ago !

Im fearing UV light as my lego wall is 3 feet from a window. Ive placed a thick black garbage bag over it like a drap to block the light. now i have this big 6ft wide by 2.5 ft tall black lego wall =(

I feel like giving up my never ending superhero figures collecting if it just going to fade/crack. so in all ...

HOW DO I MAKE MY MINIFIGURES NOT CRACK OR FADE FROM UV AND YET KEEP IT DISPLAYED ???

Comments

• LegoRoccoLegoRocco Member Posts: 100
    1. Try to find a spot that the sun can't reach.
    2. Keep them away from windows as heat does damage as well.
    3. Mail me the 2011 SDCC Batman and the Collector
    chuckpLegoManiacc
  • BrickamoreBrickamore USAMember Posts: 56
    Very cool idea for displaying your minifigures!

While researching ways to display and protect my minifigures and looking at ways to mitigate UV light, I came across GILA window films (www.gilafilms.com). They claim to cut down 70% of summer heat and 99% of UV light.
  • CrownieCrownie WA StateMember Posts: 228
    Firstly, I'm sorry that something you started in order to enjoy and display has ultimately caused you so much stress. Collector's laugh about thier OCD, but it really can become a handicap. Hopefully, at the end of the day your figures give you more enjoyment than stress. ;-)

As far as your problem: Dump the LEGO display idea. I get the LEGO theme, but the figures are what you're displaying, not the case. You can buy movie poster frames that are cost effective with UV, glare-resistant Plexiglass from https://www.hollywoodposterframes.com/

The woman who runs the company is awesome, although what I'm suggesting is buying some frames from Hollywood Poster Frames and then purchasing some identically-sized shadowboxes from a craft store. Switch out the acrylic/plexi, add some internal shelving, and voila! You have display frames! (Minor adjustments will be needed, ect.)

*shrugs* An idea, anyways. Good luck!
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    You maybe look into these curtians, Eclipse Blackout Energy-Efficient Curtain. I have them in my lego too. And they block out light and heat, they work pretty good no light goes though them.
    Just to give you a idea about what the shadow box minifig display Crownie I think is talking about. But I will say i think your display is pretty awsome.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,378
    edited August 2014
    @falconthunders‌ - I was actually thinking of doing something like that this morning.

Is that one structure or can you remove figs from any spot? Any other details would be appreciated.
  • falconthundersfalconthunders Member Posts: 25
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions so far. Ive considered them all. I think the best thing to do is to make my own frame at the same time the legos used to build the shelving is worth around $2000. Haha its amazing how collecting over time can build so much! With that said i was thinking of building a Uv plexiglass AROUND my display so i can save both my minifigures and lego boxes. But those Lego display cases looks Beautiful! I guess i am ocd when it comes to which figures i keep to display... near mint with no cracks can be a challenge. I mean is it wrong for me to expect no cracks from sets from 2004 -2010 ? Anyone knows if heat are uv Are what leads to cracks or is it the plastic ? All in all No UV and NO heat. got it thank you !

This is how i have it now ... =/
    this is how i would love to have it but i freaked out when i read on forums about UV killing lego minfigures ...
    yys4u

@falconthunders‌ - I was actually thinking of doing something like that this morning.

Is that one structure or can you remove figs from any spot? Any other details would be appreciated.

hello bosstone, yes i have it so each compartment is Individual so i can move them around as i wish. then i put a 1x2 lego to connect them to make it a solid wall. haha i got fancy and got 1x2 glow in the dark to connect them so after i turn of the light the whole wall sorta glows. =P

also i put four 2x2 single middle stud lego on all corners so they can be stacked
    im guessing uv light is not stopped by the transparent window ?
    Do you think a giant uv plexiglass cube would work to save the whole wall ?
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 940
    @falconthunders Nice framing and design....but $2K for the shelving! Not sure how building a UV plexiglass surround would look, but I'm thinking this is going to turn into another massive project and will take away from your initial intent to display your minifigures.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    Your lucky that it was only the penguin that cracked, I could only imagine if the unspeakable happened to the SDCC or Toy fair figs. D:

Your lucky that it was only the penguin that cracked, I could only imagine if the unspeakable happened to the SDCC or Toy fair figs. D:

Ya i know right ! I was thinking of taking out all the promo and sdcc or whatever and just store them into a box... but what about the others, and the lego wall ?
    UV plexiglass cube... or Frame of plexiglass with custom shelving ... either way its going to be Time consuming and money $. Ive come so far though ...
    I say block the window, a lot of collections are in basements to keep out sunlight.

I wish i did this ... * facepalm*
    That is nice, I wish he had listed the number of parts and frame dimensions.
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 449
    I like that! Ikea have a knack of making nicely modifiable products.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,223
    I would just do front opening shadowboxes and make shelves to display your minifigures.I wwouldn't bother making an elaborate display case. With front opening shadowboxes you can easily change the configuration of your minifigures.

If you are that worried about your collection; don't even make a display and store them away in a climate controlled area. UV can cause damage to plastic, but there are cases where plastic has degraded over the years just sitting in a sealed box.
    bobabricks
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,504
    Can you not put a clear UV resistant film on your window?
    @Pitfall69 I've gotten an old sealed set and the tires degraded and were oily and sticky.
    Pitfall69
  • CrownieCrownie WA StateMember Posts: 228
    I get stressed out just reading your posts, lol.

I mean really, these only have to last as long as you do, right? Once you're dead, who cares if the minifigs crack? ;-)
    DoubleD
  • FrictionPinFrictionPin Member Posts: 144
    As someone who also has all of the Super Hero figures and wants to display them as well as keep them in extremely nice condition, I feel your pain.

Speaking purely from a collectors perspective to keep their items in great condition over their lifetime, the best option is professional grading. Even though this is very new (to the Lego hobby) and subject to discussion on approval of the masses, there is no denying the results.

I came from a background in very rare sports cards so this subject is more easily accepted personally, but I generally hear mixed feelings about getting anything Lego related professionally graded. Not trying to debate the idea of grading or not grading, just providing an option that gives you both display options and UV protection in a sealed case that will stand up over time.

Photo example is attached for reference and yes, they also grade the exclusives in the bag and on card board backers.

Cost, that's entirely another story. ;)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204

Speaking purely from a collectors perspective to keep their items in great condition over their lifetime, the best option is professional grading. Even though this is very new (to the Lego hobby) and subject to discussion on approval of the masses, there is no denying the results.

I completely disagree. The professional grading does not protect the minifig. Keeping it untouched, out of light, at constant temperature, and so on protects the minifig. It doesn't need to be graded to protect it.
    nicoyagomez
    Boba Fett is not even push together all the way. Is there anyway to fix that I think that would drive me crazy.
    bobabricksRainstorm26
    I understand your logic @CCC but have to disagree with it a little. The idea I was presenting is protecting as well as displaying. The case does provide protection in that it is sealed (so the figure is untouched), UV coated so you can put it on display without largely being concerned with fading and normal household temperatures shouldn't be a factor due to the sealed enclosure. Sure, I wouldn't put it right in front of a window or expose it to extreme temperature changes, encased or not. The goal (personally) is to blend the idea of protection and display, this way works for me in certain scenarios but not for all of them. I also use the shadow box display method for my minifigures as well, I do not have them all graded but do reserve that option for specific instances.

These are sealed cases @doubledbrick‌ and cannot be opened without destroying the case. A couple reasons behind professional grading is increased confidence of authenticity and accurate/consistent evaluation of condition, thus having the ability to open the enclosure would render the value it provides null.

Again, I'm not suggesting everyone get their minifigures graded, just showing an option available for protection and display purposes.

Boba Fett is not even push together all the way. Is there anyway to fix that I think that would drive me crazy.

Not once the "expert" has sealed it.
    ^Jinx :)
    Personally, I think it is an ugly way of displaying it. You have a huge lump of casing around it, the weapon at an awkward angle to fit in the case and as noted above, it is not even put together correctly.

And it doesn't fit in a consistent display with cheaper minifigs, that are not worth getting graded.

But, yes, each to their own.
    It is ok people. To each his own. I love the passion though. I'm very passionate about my collection as well; most people on this forum are as well.

Basically, it all comes down to what works for you. Grading minifigures is great if you have the money to spend. Although, I don't think most people would have all their minifigures graded; especially if you want to display them all. I would imagine displaying 100 graded minifigures would be costly and you would have to have a lot of room to display them all.

If someone wants to have their minifigs graded, that is up to them. My point was that having them graded is not the best way to protect them, especially if you want to display them. There are cheaper and more stylish ways of doing that than having each figure graded. You can easily encase a whole collection behind UV filter glass for not much more than the grading costs for a few minifigs, where the glass is removable and the collection is accessable if you want to amend the display.
  • B_HollsB_Holls Member Posts: 41
    While it may not look the best shrink wrap keeps off dust very well
    Thank you all for the comments. Ive read each one twice just to absorb info and opinions,i still feel a bit newbie to the lego collecting hobby

I think now i will probably get the Toyfair Ironman/Capt America encased since it cost 1/4 of my whole collection . If they faded or cracked ( knock on wood ) Id probably go nuts. Im not sure how much the costs are exactly but i think its $100 give or take.

As for my other beloved figures Im still looking into to how to build a " shadow box. " or a UV plexi cube. I hate the idea that Id have to hide such an amazing collection in the dark, as im searching for the best cost effective way to display and protect. Im really bumbed i have $2000 worth of legos that i thought using to display might be abandoned.

looking into the UV sheet to put over my window, however windows are divided into many square smaller windows so i have alot of work cut out for me. haha, I would have never thought how much work and thought goes into this hobby !

As someone who also has all of the Super Hero figures and wants to display them as well as keep them in extremely nice condition, I feel your pain.

I came from a background in very rare sports cards so this subject is more easily accepted personally, but I generally hear mixed feelings about getting anything Lego related professionally graded. Not trying to debate the idea of grading or not grading, just providing an option that gives you both display options and UV protection in a sealed case that will stand up over time.

Photo example is attached for reference and yes, they also grade the exclusives in the bag and on card board backers.

Cost, that's entirely another story. ;)

FOR that figure thats encased is it more valuable to keep it in its original poly bag and encase the bag in or to take it out and encase it ?
    Also what is an Ideal temperature that will keep lego's happy? Also Ive read in other forums that legos need " just a little UV" so not to fade. Anyone have any expirence with that ? Thanks for everyones time .
    Are the Superheroes Minifigures and Lego bricks for the display all the Lego you have?

Many of us agonize over trying to protect our collections. I know you are going crazy trying to figure out what to do, but can you imagine trying to figure out how to protect $10,000, $25,000 or even a $50,000 collection?
  • EddieDoesntMindEddieDoesntMind Member Posts: 329
    I just want to say I envy you're collection. I'm struggling to keep up with (Non-SDCC) Super Heroes collection (21 are still out of reach from me), and you have complete minifigures of the Spider-Man and Batman themes! Hopefully you can find a nice protective house for you collection.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    Apologies if someone else mentioned this already, but it's possible that the crack is not a result of UV.

Anyway, I'm quite sure you'll still want to deal with the UV. It seems like you'll want to double dip and get a UV rated window and could also add additional UV film to it. Perhaps quarantine your more expensive figures until you're satisfied that UV is not causing the issue.
  • jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
    edited August 2014
    Take a look at this website their case are excellent I have one for Original Disney Cars Collection in my son's room and I have yet to see dust on any car, you can turned them on the side. I am ordering one for his SW lego mini figures, though the shadow box is also a good idea but the Carney cases are easily accessed. There is different version and they will make custom cases too if you want.

http://commerce.idmi.net/ecommerce/catalog_detail.asp?CID=123&CI=4593&PI=41824#
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 240
    Same way I do with my huge '60s toy car collection. When storing them, don't heap them together, and store them individually.
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    I had a nearly brand new (<2 months old) minifig develop cracks on the torso. So it may not be the UV. Luckily it was common fig from a set I bought for my daughter which TLG replaced when I put in a request for replacement parts.

What about using nitrogen inertion for your display cases as well. Plastics can tend to oxidize. :)

http://www.irb.fraunhofer.de/CIBlibrary/search-quick-result-list.jsp?A&idSuche=CIB+DC9222

I'm a Chemical Engineer. If I had infinite amounts of money and cared about such things, I would protect from heat, UV and oxygen.
    Pitfall69