Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO fight Against Chinese counterfeit LEGO

1727374757678»

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,916
    Wange and Decool already do V-22 models. Somewhat smaller than Lego's version though.
  • im2cre8ivim2cre8iv Utah, USAMember Posts: 125
    Does LEGO provide a mechanism to report counterfeit LEGO websites?
    No. You can email customer services btu that is about it.
    im2cre8iv
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 364
    The sets on Etsy were still there yesterday when I looked. I've not heard anything back from them - do they normally respond to reports? Has anyone else tried reporting them?

Also just back from a holiday and sadden to see at two different tourist sites the gift shops selling counterfeit Lego. OK, they weren't current sets, but were pirate and city themed sets with a fake red logo in Lego's style and similar box art to what what Lego uses. Clearly trying to make it look like real Lego.
    Yeah, those fake sets are common in the Far East but also in touristy type destinations in Greece and Cyprus and probably all over Europe if you look for them.
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 364
    CCC said:
    Yeah, those fake sets are common in the Far East but also in touristy type destinations in Greece and Cyprus and probably all over Europe if you look for them.
    Sadly, the sets I saw were in the UK.
    andhe
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,260
    I don't know how new this is, but this is pretty new to me.
    Fake bricks with LEGO logos are out there.
    http://www.brickfinder.net/2020/08/30/fake-lego-imprinted-bricks-found-china/?fbclid=IwAR1fxAve5hsTDO9N_xhmUwC6m0F6QKWCPmny-5uaCvw8667plMDnIaaw1XM
    This is very worrying.
    I think that just about ends my secondhand buying habits from ebay, facebook and amazon marketplace. I'll be very cautious about any source that isn't directly traceable to LEGO.
    I shall be saving receipts as provenence for my purchases in case the need to sell something arises.
    Actually, it's not worrying is it? No, it's just really, really bloody annoying.
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 301
    This could cause problems on Bricklink soon enough.
    Mr_Cross
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,827
    Mr_Cross said:
    http://www.brickfinder.net/2020/08/30/fake-lego-imprinted-bricks-found-china/?fbclid=IwAR1fxAve5hsTDO9N_xhmUwC6m0F6QKWCPmny-5uaCvw8667plMDnIaaw1XM
    This is very worrying.
    I think that just about ends my secondhand buying habits from ebay, facebook and amazon marketplace. I'll be very cautious about any source that isn't directly traceable to LEGO.
    I shall be saving receipts as provenence for my purchases in case the need to sell something arises.
    Actually, it's not worrying is it? No, it's just really, really bloody annoying.
    The "yellow" brick in that article looks like Brick Yellow ("tan") to me.
    andheMr_Crossgmonkey76
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 531
    One could even argue that LEGO benefits from this. If people do become cautious and stop buying unless from LEGO itself, it's a win for them.
    andheCharmiefcb
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,061
    Ooh I can see a "LEGO creates own clone bricks" conspiracy brewing. 
    jnscoelho560Heliport
    Lepin is in fact LEGO! That's the final Hidden Side reveal.
    Charmiefcb560HeliportLordmoral
    jnscoelho said:
    One could even argue that LEGO benefits from this. If people do become cautious and stop buying unless from LEGO itself, it's a win for them.
    Or people realise the quality of clone bricks is pretty good and no need to buy the genuine thing any more.

Mr_Cross said:
    This is very worrying.
    Me too. The person writing the article doesn't seem to know much about LEGO colours. They are clearly comparing it to a yellow one and it is way off.

Mr_Cross560Heliportgmonkey76
    edited August 31
    CCC said:
    jnscoelho said:
    Or people realise the quality of clone bricks is pretty good and no need to buy the genuine thing any more.

Mr_Cross said:
    This is very worrying.
    Me too. The person writing the article doesn't seem to know much about LEGO colours. They are clearly comparing it to a yellow one and it is way off.

Glad it's not just my phone- I was beginning to wonder if I was seeing colors wrong! How does Brickfinder not know LEGO colors? Brick yellow/ tan is hardly new.
    gmonkey76
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,091
    jnscoelho said:
    Lepin is in fact LEGO!
    Soylent Green is Peeeeeopole!
    Cymbelineandhegmonkey76VorpalRyu
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 511
    jnscoelho said:
    Lepin is in fact LEGO! 
    Noooooooooo.No. That's not true! That's impossible!
    560HeliportjnscoelhoFizyxgmonkey76LordmoralSumoLego
    jnscoelho said:
    Lepin is in fact LEGO! 
    Noooooooooo.No. That's not true! That's impossible!
    Search your feelings, you know it to be true!
    560Heliportpanchox1gmonkey76bricktuaryVorpalRyuLordmoralSumoLego
    I'm a little surprised that fakes that say LEGO haven't appeared long before now... except that maybe they have? 
    gmonkey76
    I'm a little bit surprised that LEGO can tell they are not genuine LEGO. I wonder if I send them two different coloured dark red parts if they can confirm they are both genuine LEGO.
    jnscoelhoFizyxgmonkey76560HeliportVorpalRyu
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,591
    I read the coments on the article, and some were saying the article itself is fake. Has anyone seen an official response from LEGO? @drdavewatford
    560Heliport
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 704
    Not sure if it was mentioned before but the owner of Lepin is apperantly going to jail and has to pay a fine. I would imagine this might mean tnat China is stepping up to fix their cooperation with outside brands:
    http://www.brickfinder.net/2020/09/02/lepin-boss-sentenced-six-years-jail-term/
  • mattytreksmattytreks San Diego, CAMember Posts: 191
    Lordmoral said:
    Not sure if it was mentioned before but the owner of Lepin is apperantly going to jail and has to pay a fine. I would imagine this might mean tnat China is stepping up to fix their cooperation with outside brands:
    http://www.brickfinder.net/2020/09/02/lepin-boss-sentenced-six-years-jail-term/
    If this is the case, why the is the LEPIN website still up and running?  Shouldn't the first order of business be to halt any & all new orders?
    gmonkey76Lordmoral
    Brickfinder... the people who don't know Bright Yellow from Brick Yellow. Or yellow from tan, if you prefer. And I hate to say it, but Mould King made a Hammerhead Corvette! So at least in that respect, they didn't copy LEGO! (I do not at all support any kind of piracy.) (Except by the crew of #6285 Black Seas Barracuda- those minifigs are awesome; they can do whatever they want.)
    gmonkey76
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,310
    Personally, I'm not entirely convinced that the whole fake Lego article isn't just a hoax... It's been long enough for TLG to put out a statement, but nothing...
    gmonkey76Lordmoral
  • panchox1panchox1 The Outer RimMember Posts: 464
    Brickfinder... the people who don't know Bright Yellow from Brick Yellow. Or yellow from tan, if you prefer. And I hate to say it, but Mould King made a Hammerhead Corvette! So at least in that respect, they didn't copy LEGO! (I do not at all support any kind of piracy.) (Except by the crew of #6285 Black Seas Barracuda- those minifigs are awesome; they can do whatever they want.)

the Brick Fan also reported on this.

https://www.thebrickfan.com/raided-lepin-boss-and-associates-sentenced-to-jail/

• LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 704
    VorpalRyu said:
    Personally, I'm not entirely convinced that the whole fake Lego article isn't just a hoax... It's been long enough for TLG to put out a statement, but nothing...
    That's a good point.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,091
    mattytreks said:
    Shouldn't the first order of business be to halt any & all new orders?
    Not necessarily - Lepin produces non-license enfringing sets (or those not determined to be enfringement).  The sentence is based on prior conduct - and not the subsequent non-enfringy practices of the current product.

If an oil company dumps product in the ocean, and years later is found to negligent (or criminally negligent), the company still continues on, presumably with better safeguards in place to prevent future damage.
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 894
    SumoLego said:

If an oil company dumps product in the ocean, and years later is found to negligent (or criminally negligent), the company still continues on, presumably with better safeguards in place to prevent future damage.

Although there is definitely some worthwhile debate to be had about the value of a so-called 'corporate death sentence' for cases of repeated offending, or for particularly large or egregious offenses.