Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Other selling outlets than Ebay

NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 449
Just thought we could have a thread of where to sell used Lego if you want to avoid Ebay.
I sell Lego through various ways. List your ways and inform if you get "good" prices and so on.

Free sites:
1. Local paper. (People do expect low prices)
2. Local car boot sale. (I was the only seller and people did want things cheap. Good for low value items that sell poorly on Ebay. Sold Mega Blocks...)
2. Gumtree. (Very quick if you price low.)
3. Facebook. (Quick and good prices. New to this, but have 2-3 potential buyers. This might be a good way to go.)
4. Non-UK sites. (The one I am on, I get better prices than Ebay and no Paypal which is such a relief.)
5. Lego forum sites. (New to this, but have got some customers that will pay good prices.)

The only paid for site I use is Ebay. And I have just started to move away. Things are looking good. So to loose Ebay is not a big thing for me as the UK market does not pay so much as other markets. (It is so easy to sell to people on 50-70k a year and they pay good prices for the right items.)

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,305
    There are dedicated lego marketplaces you have missed:

bricklink.com
    brickowl.com

And the marketplace forum here (covered by 5 above). Eurobricks have something similar too, with sales and trades in the forum.

• NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 449
    I have not tried BL and BO. I thought they were more for parts than sets. And maybe more new than used. But I will look into them too. Just thought I try the free sites first...
    edited August 2014
    Nope, they are for sets as well as parts - new sets and old sets, new parts and old parts.

Free doesn't always means best. If you can get a higher price, then 3% fees are not so bad.
    I dont mind paying 3% but I do mind Paypal.... So I prefer sites where one does not use Paypal.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,378
    Preloved.co.uk
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,478
    Just remember that sites like brickowl or bricklink have collectors on them, meaning be very descriptive and critical of condition or other things, as you will likely get pinged on something if you 'misrepresent' it, even if unintentionally
  • minicoopers11minicoopers11 USAMember Posts: 104
    You don't need to use Paypal on Bricklink. But it is still the most commonly used payment method for BL buyers/sellers in USA. You can disallow Paypal, but may miss out on some sales. But that's better than not even considering Bricklink.
  • minicoopers11minicoopers11 USAMember Posts: 104
    These pie charts may interest you. Shows distribution of currency and payment method.

http://www.bricklink.com/help.asp?helpID=2117&q=payment+method
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,446
    What is there not to like about PayPal, especially if you transfer money via Goods and Services. At least you have some protection.
  • BillybrownBillybrown UKMember Posts: 748
    ebid? Doesn't seem to have a lot of traffic though
    edited August 2014
    ^ It is not straight forward to take money out of paypal. I have limits on how much i can withdraw.
    Bank transfer before goods are sendt is the best way... No fees and no messing about afterwards. What is there not to like????
    I will look into bricklink. Got a lot of smaller sets to get rid of first. I do have some larger sets that could go on bricklink.
    Had a look at ebid and there was not much on offer. They might grow.
    edited August 2014
    I find it very easy to withdraw money from PayPal. So long as I don't spend it first of course.

The problem with bank transfer is that there is no come back for buyers if you scam them. If someone has no sales history and refuses PayPal and will only take bank transfer, then it is safer to assume they are a scammer and just move on to another seller. It is not like there is a shortage of Lego resellers these days.

Ebid won't grow much, they have been around 15 years or so and have never really been a viable alternative to eBay.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,378
    ^^ &^ yes, most savvy buyers will steer clear of bank transfer payments. Might be best for you (the seller) but sales will be very slow.
    Well, i have been doing prepay (not paypal...) for over 15 years. Mainly books but now also other things. A lot have been to repeat customers.
    So many people bought off me i did not need to sell to paypal folk. -
    The thing is, once you try prepay you dont want it any other way.
    OK, so i loose a few scammers, not a big issue really.