Do You Collect Old Lego? (wooden toys and metal cars)

2»

Comments

• samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,258
    @LusiferSam - Happened with me... I'm quite certain that in my efforts to help people several years ago I actually played a role in constructing more "accurate" fakes that people could pass off as originals.
  • BigMike2k3BigMike2k3 Minnesota, USAMember Posts: 3
    I completely understand and appreciate your apprehension!  It shows a great stewardship of your collection and of the integrity of the community as a whole.  Counterfeiting is a real concern in any collectible market and unfortunately, our community has not been spared.

I reflected on the same moral quandary before asking and almost didn't even open that can of worms but thought it would be a genuinely cool project.  Thank you for considering and know that I respect your decision regardless.

Best Regards,
    Big Mike

• CHAINSAWCHAINSAW ChicagoMember Posts: 199
    I was just wondering if anybody here has or collects the old wooden Lego toys and metal/(I think plastic) cars. I would love to get my hands on some but I don't even know where to look and I'm guessing the price is pretty hefty. This is just a category nobody really goes near but if you have some please do share. :)
    I hate to dissapiont, I do collect old/classic legos.  I don't have many but the ones I do have (likes you said) would be pretty expensie if you wanted them (if at all) just because I'm not even sure I would want to sell them in the first place. :(
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,098
    edited March 2016
    Just recently a Dutch collector friend bought one of the crown jewels of the (1955-70) 1:87 Town Plan era cars/trucks.

This 698 (1965) 12 auto multipack was a one year only issue, and is extremely rare.  This is the first one I have ever seen MISB.  Each of these cars individually in mint condition would command $150-$200 (or more depending on the rarity of the colors of the individual autos).  So as a complete sealed set... this would probably be worth north of $3000.

And the back side...

Here is a 1965 Danish brochure showing the 699 8 Mercedes Truck 1:87 Multipack, and 698 12 Auto 1:87 Multipack...

The 8 truck multipack was sold from 1965-67 in 2 versions, one with an Esso Tanker Truck (as seen here) of 1965-66, and another version with a Shell Tanker Truck of 1966-67.  The back sides of the two different 699 sets show differrent scenes with either the 1956-65 Esso Station, or the 1966-70 Shell Station.

The 698 is more valuable because of the shorter production period.  If each of the cars in this set were of the rarest color that each came it... this box could command over $15,000 (a black Fiat and black Citroen would each command over $5,000).  I cannot think of any LEGO item that could potentially be more valuable... in a hypothetical sense.

catwrangler
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 260
    edited March 2016
    I have several of the HO scale models on my list, since they're sort of affordable--especially the trucks.   I'd like one of the old wooden fire engines and the beautifully done Ferguson tractor, which despite being wood is actually better done than many diecast metal tractors.  But those two can cost a fortune in good shape. 
  • CHAINSAWCHAINSAW ChicagoMember Posts: 199
    Istokg said:
    Just recently a Dutch collector friend bought one of the crown jewels of the (1955-70) 1:87 Town Plan era cars/trucks.

This 698 (1965) 12 auto multipack was a one year only issue, and is extremely rare.  This is the first one I have ever seen MISB.  Each of these cars individually in mint condition would command $150-$200 (or more depending on the rarity of the colors of the individual autos).  So as a complete sealed set... this would probably be worth north of $3000.

And the back side...

Here is a 1965 Danish brochure showing the 699 8 Mercedes Truck 1:87 Multipack, and 698 12 Auto 1:87 Multipack...

The 8 truck multipack was sold from 1965-67 in 2 versions, one with an Esso Tanker Truck (as seen here) of 1965-66, and another version with a Shell Tanker Truck of 1966-67.  The back sides of the two different 699 sets show differrent scenes with either the 1956-65 Esso Station, or the 1966-70 Shell Station.

The 698 is more valuable because of the shorter production period.  If each of the cars in this set were of the rarest color that each came it... this box could command over $15,000 (a black Fiat and black Citroen would each command over $5,000).  I cannot think of any LEGO item that could potentially be more valuable... in a hypothetical sense.

Nice! 
  • tankstellen04tankstellen04 irelandMember Posts: 1
    I was just wondering if anybody here has or collects the old wooden Lego toys and metal/(I think plastic) cars. I would love to get my hands on some but I don't even know where to look and I'm guessing the price is pretty hefty. This is just a category nobody really goes near but if you have some please do share. :)
    I dont have any of the real old metal (1:43 i think) cars, but got about 5 of the CA 1:87 cars today, my favourite is the esso (?3sso?) Tank.
  • Niels_TNiels_T Member Posts: 42

I dont have any of the real old metal (1:43 i think) cars, but got about 5 of the CA 1:87 cars today, my favourite is the esso (?3sso?) Tank.

Lego didn't make metal 1:43 trucks and vans, only made them in plastic.

Another Danish toymaker did, Tekno.

And the cars are very similar, but guess they didn't have too many models to copy from at that time.

• IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,098
    edited October 2017
    Niels_T said:

Lego didn't make metal 1:43 trucks and vans, only made them in plastic.

Another Danish toymaker did, Tekno.

And the cars are very similar, but guess they didn't have too many models to copy from at that time.

Niels,

I wonder if he saw this image I posted on another thread.  It makes a lot of people think that they are metal 1:43 trucks.  This is a very "used" group of 1:43 plastic cars with metal front grilles, and wooden tankers.... but mainly plastic.

This sad image of very dirty and worn 1:43 Chevrolet Trucks belongs to my German collector friend Olaf, who lives near the Danish border.  These trucks were only sold in Denmark, Norway and Iceland (not Sweden) from 1952-57.

If they were in excellent condition this group could be worth up to 5000 Euros.  :-(

But instead...  we have one of the world's most expensive LEGO junkyards!

Image from my 70 page "LEGO 1:43 Chevrolet Trucks/Wagons Collectors Guide (1952-57)."

LEGOFan2