Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Images from the new Hobbit 2014 sets

bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 485
have been revealed here
ModelMamakezveign06

Comments

• samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,258
    That Witch King needs a makeover...
    sukh
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    As disappointing as expected. After the first wave each of Lotr and hobbit the rest of the waves have been very underwhelming
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    Well there is our SDCC Bard as said. And I'm happy to see a witch king since I have been waiting for one ever since the LOTR game.
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    Wait. How in the world is there 472 pieces in that Five Armies set?
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 387
    edited August 2014
    Every minifig gets their own private stash of 65 cheese slopes. I saw it on the back of the box. Turns out that's what they're fighting over.
    legomatticey117
    @epyon396 If you look closely part of box did not get in the picture, there must be more to it.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,806
    samiam391 said:

It has been fairly well known for a while it was going to be the Twilight version, not the LOTR / day / Eowyn fight version.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 942
    CCC said:

samiam391 said:

It has been fairly well known for a while it was going to be the Twilight version, not the LOTR / day / Eowyn fight version.
    I definitely missed all those memos. When I heard that the Witch King was going to be in The Hobbit, I had just assumed that it would be the classic look from LOTR. How disappointing :(
    ^ eurobricks.

It is a bit disappointing. Although I'll definitely pick them all up for 50% a month after release :-)

It looks like lego want the Hobbit / LOTR series done and out the way with minimal expectation now.
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    Yeah, it's a shame there was only one Orthanc scale building. Orthanc really showed what Lego could do with LotR if it wanted to. Was impressive scale, and excellent fun to build.
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 821
    The witch king battle is honestly my favourite of this wave, thankfully I will have more money to spend on the other lego lines. :D
    bobabricks
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Is it just me, or does Galadriel have some sort of new combined torso/leg piece?
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    I really can't begin to describe how bad these look. Looks like yet more tauriels and legolasses (seriously? remind me again, what was this movie about?), handful of generic orcs, no civilians/townsfolk/soldiers, 'battle of the five armies' is an embarrassment of a name: should be 'minor scuffle at cheese-slope (involving no soldiers)'.

(My opinion) Lego have reached an all time low with their attention to this film series. It makes me seriously wonder who is in charge of the decisions and what the agenda is - there just seems to be total disregard for the entire license, and the sets are simply not up to the standard of any other theme lego makes. It's like they want it to be sh*t, as if to say 'get lost tolkien fans - we just want to play starwars starwars STARWARS'.

Very disappointing. I expected a certain level of competence... (Even the total flop PoP sets were still worth buying as a lego set) but these?! Wow. For me, this is a new nadir in lego's licenses.

The only set I see myself buying is the Witchking - and yes, like everyone else, it'll be to put him at Weathertop (LotR) and to have Galadriel in (a home-made!) Lothlorien (also LOTR).
    sidersdd
    binaryeye said:

Is it just me, or does Galadriel have some sort of new combined torso/leg piece?

I don't think she does, it is the regular skirt piece, and some of the printing blends into the surrounding image. Her right hand side shows the regular angles.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    legomatt said:

'battle of the five armies' is an embarrassment of a name: should be 'minor scuffle at cheese-slope (involving no soldiers)'.

That made me laugh out loud. At work. While I'm supposed to be working and not laughing at this stuff.
  • veign06veign06 USAMember Posts: 136
    edited August 2014
    Looks like possibly two of Bard the Bowman too...glad I waited. The Battle of the Five armies set looks like its definitely bigger than the picture shows but probably still not worth it, at least it has a decent amount of figs. I like the price of the small set, 59.99 on the battle of five armies one is kinda steep.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,062
    I was just getting to the point where I was ready to disengage from collecting the Hobbit theme as all I am after really are the figs. But again, per usual LEGO world standards, they suck me back in as quickly as a fleeting thought...
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,333
    Witch King battle is a must...though only for the figures and not the set itself. I'll get the lake town set...it will add to what they released already and does come with two orcs (love the orcs and they have new hair styles it seems), Bard's son? and a new Taurial (Generic enough to be just an elf for my elf army). Battle fo the 5 armies bothers me the most..I would rpefer generic members of each army. I can't believe we get Azog again (he defiled this set), Legolas (could pass as a generic elf I suppose), Bard for the humans?, One of the dwarves is probably another Thorin. Another Eagle is nice, but over all nothing worth getting the set for. 'd rather have generic army builders if they aren't going to give us a decent set....it looks like a bridge and a giant weapon. Also more a critique of the movie than the set...the 5 armies are: Humans, dwarves, Wargs, Elves, and orcs (goblins). The eagles are not considered one of the 5 armies. I think that they are for the movie because movie wargs are portrayed as dumb beasts...and truthfully with the eagles you have 6 armies anyways. Beorn is his own army :)
    Remember the eagles showed up at the battle in the book too. I don't have a problem with them being there.

Thorin is there again, this time with a crown.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    CCC said:

binaryeye said:

I don't think she does, it is the regular skirt piece, and some of the printing blends into the surrounding image. Her right hand side shows the regular angles.
    You're correct. I just found the back of box images and it's definitely a printed slope.
  • vadangvadang Member Posts: 47
    I agree with what has been said, all of the sets are pretty disappointing. Also like some have already said, the witchking battle is probably good only for the minifigs.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,217
    legomatt said:

I really can't begin to describe how bad these look. Looks like yet more tauriels and legolasses (seriously? remind me again, what was this movie about?), handful of generic orcs, no civilians/townsfolk/soldiers, 'battle of the five armies' is an embarrassment of a name: should be 'minor scuffle at cheese-slope (involving no soldiers)'.

(My opinion) Lego have reached an all time low with their attention to this film series. It makes me seriously wonder who is in charge of the decisions and what the agenda is - there just seems to be total disregard for the entire license, and the sets are simply not up to the standard of any other theme lego makes. It's like they want it to be sh*t, as if to say 'get lost tolkien fans - we just want to play starwars starwars STARWARS'.

Very well put @legomatt‌ - I really can't understand what TLG were doing with this theme. I can only assume that they got a bit screwed over by the decision to split the two films into three, supposedly all the cast though the barrel escape scene was to be the finale for film one so it does look like TLG had two sets from the first wave that they'd have proffered in the second. I get the feeling that after that they just got lazy and started chugging out generic looking tripe of sets so that any other changes wouldn't scupper them. I found it really weird that Smaug wasn't in any second wave sets, the second set being called Desolation of Smaug really would have made that Lonely mountain set make much more sense as a second wave set, reducing the amount of Dol Guldur filler sets.

It's such a shame that they had a chance to do some amazing things with this licence and didn't achieve it.

Of these sets I will almost certainly get the Witch King battle, I love the Weathertop set so has to be done, I'll wait for a discount on Lonely Mountain, I really want a Smaug and the others are all passable if I don't manage to find a good deal on them, but even with a good deal it'll mainly be purchases for the sake of minifigures, so those deals will have to be really good.
    Joseph
    I quite like the parts that come with the Witch King set. Greys and browns are always useful for castle building, there are masonary bricks, window parts, bits for a tree. And a complete skeleton, even if he does have mechanical arms instead of the nice smooth ones.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,217
    ^parts are nice but when I buy a set I feel that the design is part of what I'm paying for! a really nice set design will make me part with my cash much quicker and happier.
    So go back to 2012, who would have thought back then that Mines of Moria was going to be one of the better sets of the whole LOTR/Hobbit series? :-)
    bobabricksicey117BumblepantstamamahmplasmodiumhoyatablesJoseph
    samiam391 said:

This minifig honestly looks more like a Ring Wrath when looking through the ring, though I Don't know a whole lot about LOTR other than what is in the movies...
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 506
    Is the Elf-torso/legs from "Witchking"-set the same as the Eldron polybag? (i really dont hope so)
    icey117 said:

Is the Elf-torso/legs from "Witchking"-set the same as the Eldron polybag? (i really dont hope so)

I was wondering the same thing, it looks quite similar
  • GuroooGurooo Member Posts: 268
    icey117 said:

You had me worried there... but I am pretty sure it's not after having a second and third look. The torso does not look the same at least, the new one is light in the middle and dark on the sides, the exclusive Elrond does not have that pattern. Right? I hope I'm right.

icey117
    Gurooo said:

icey117 said:

You had me worried there... but I am pretty sure it's not after having a second and third look. The torso does not look the same at least, the new one is light in the middle and dark on the sides, the exclusive Elrond does not have that pattern. Right? I hope I'm right.

Yes, after digging mine out...it looks completely different. Also, the one in the new set has a crown on as well.
    icey117
    edited August 2014
    I think for the limitations (mainly considering the pricetag) LEGO had to work within with these themes, I think they have done a great job. Really! Majestic landscapes?(well...) Large constructions? (they did two). Armies battle packs? (Limited audience).

I want more minifigs, but I still got quite alot (enough dwaves at least).

So far the only two sets that seriously suck imo are:
    - Attack of the Wargs
    - Dol Guldur Ambush
    (They could have saved themselves the trouble and made a polybags with a Warg and Beorn.)

Battle of five kings looks disappointing, but lets wait til we see what the set actually contain.

So theres just a million sets I think they should have went for, mainly Oliphant and the golden hall. And I wanted a few LOTR waves more, But well... Lord of the Rings is not the same cash-cow as StarWars (regretably). C'est la vie!
    What is stupid is that we get two Laketown sets and 2-3 Dol Guldur sets. But I guess that it is due to the movies mess up. Which might be why we also get one less LotR wave.
    edited August 2014
    This post contains:

**LOTR / Jackson-HOBBIT SPOILER**

(Witch King)... This minifig honestly looks more like a Ring Wrath when looking through the ring, though I Don't know a whole lot about LOTR other than what is in the movies...

Yes, it's the same character (not to be confused with sauron/necromancer). The ringwraith who stabs Frodo at weathertop is the witch king; when frodo puts on the ring, he sees the wraiths in their unconcealed, non-shadow, form. The witch king is one of them. This minifig (assuming jackson hasn't changed it) is the non-shadow form of the most senior of the ringwraiths. Their shadowy-cloaked 'black' form is Jacksons version of a wraith concealed in shadow.

This is one of the poorer things about Jackson's LotR trilogy - he doesn't 'do' ethereal at all, but instead everything is taken too literally. The evil entity from the film 'The Frighteners' is a far better indication of how a ringwraith might have been portrayed.

They're meant to be almost spectre-like, existing/concealed by the shadow, a nightmare entity under heavy black cloaks to give them shape, but banished by light, hence why the party travel by day, and Aragorn is able to scatter them briefly when he brandishes a fire brand - as the fire momentarily destroys the shadows. Unfortunately, jackson just uses that scene to needlessly have aragorn be a kickass hardcase single-handedly b*tchslapping the lot of them (despite telling us how we should actually be terrified of 'what hunts you') instead of showing us their otherworldliness that cannot be killed. In one stupid swoop, Jackson immediately renders the (what should be terrifying, unstoppable, ethereal) nazgul as an utterly impotent - and worse, physical - foe.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 942
    legomatt said:

The evil entity from the film 'The Frighteners' is a far better indication of how a ringwraith might have been portrayed.

I love The Frighteners. Might be my favourite Peter Jackson film actually, I'd love to see him do something like that again.
    legomatt
    edited August 2014
    ^ Yep, absolutely great film (though i just wish they could've kept the tension/suspense building up for a bit longer before revealing what the *coughcoughcough*, as all the fear just vanishes with the reveal). It's so crazy that Jackson should direct that, but then get the Nazgul so wrong.
  • jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
    edited August 2014
    Not sure if this was posted saw it on NeoApe:

One thing to note is that the SDCC version of Bard the Bowman will be included with The Battle of Five Armies (79017).

The Battle of Five Armies (79017) – 472 pcs – $59.99

Azog, Bard the Bowman (SDCC version), Dain Ironfoot, Legolas, Thorin Oakenshield, 2 Orcs, Eagle
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,143
    ^Happy I held off on buying that figure on ebay :)
    icey117
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 719
    The Lake Town building is ok to expand the town and I am really glad to get Galadriel. Her hair with circlet looks very nice. I don't like her "action face" (which I blame on more PJ made up crapola.) Hopefully her reverse face is a nice serene high elven look for the love of Elbereth. Looks like the crown on the witchking might be a skull cap on top of a regular head so,we can have more ring wraiths for the Weathertop scene. Battle of the Five Armies is looking pretty lame so far. Wonder if it is another of these buy 2 or 3 sets to make it look anywhere near an ultimate battle for the Lonely Mountain and all the treasure.
    edited August 2014
    klatu003 said:

crapola

Nice word. :o)
    klatu003 said:

...for the love of Elbereth.

Sounds like a curse she'd mutter under her breath when nobody is looking, such as when her skirts wrap around her legs, pinning her to the spot... "Oh F-or the love of Elbereth..."
    klatu003
    dannyrww said:

I can't believe we get Azog again (he defiled this set)

Although we are getting Azog again, he has a different print this time. A bit like the two versions of Gollum, the face print is different.