Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Post disappearing?

AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,807
I've been trying for several minutes to post in the research institute topic, but for some reason every time I click "Post Comment", everything I've typed just disappears. Thankfully I was able to recover what I had typed and save it as a draft, but still I'm perplexed at why no matter how many times I try, even though I can preview the comment just fine, I can't actually post it. I even tried logging out and in again. No dice. Any idea why this might be happening?

Comments

• akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    I have been having the same problem. Every time I comment on a main Brickset article my comment disappears. It was so disheartening the first couple of times it happened. What I do now is I type of my comment, then copy it, refresh the page and paste it. That has worked for me.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    @Aanchir - Try waiting on the page after clicking 'Post Comment' and see if you get any kind of error message. Sometimes it can 'eat' your comment and only display an error after a while.

@akunthia Do you mean comments on news articles on the main Brickset.com site? That will be a separate issue - @Huw - any ideas?
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,807
    Matthew said:

@Aanchir - Try waiting on the page after clicking 'Post Comment' and see if you get any kind of error message. Sometimes it can 'eat' your comment and only display an error after a while.

I just did what you said and I did see a notification that says "your comment will appear after it is approved". I'm not sure what that's about — I didn't realize comments ever needed approval here?
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,450
    edited August 2014
    These are two separate issues both of which have been reported before.

@akunthia, someone else reported something similar a while ago but I've never been able to replicate it.

@aanchir, no they don't need approving but that message seems to be something that people see from time to time for reasons unknown.

Not much help, am I :)
    edited August 2014
    Right, I've found the cause of @Aanchir's problem. Your post beginning "I think you're thinking of Astrid Graabaek." was considered to be spam and was in the spam queue.

I released it but then saw there were about 20 identical posts in the thread, so there must have been some other glitch.

We don't actively monitor the queue because there are loads of new entries a day most of which are spam. In fact, I've never looked at it before and I'm surprised to see that there are 50-odd of attempts to join the forum a day that are being blocked.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    Huw said:

I'm surprised to see that there are 50-odd of attempts to join the forum a day that are being blocked.

Interestng - are those 50-odd over and above the applications that the Brickset Admins review and decline ?

D.
    edited August 2014
    Yes, and it's odd. The text entered into 'why do you want to join' is always the same:

Email: [email protected]
    Why do you want to join?
    {I want to {see new threads|follow the discussion|be part here|see new additions|access all parts|contibute|say something|reply to a thread|reply to a user|message a user|contact a user|read everything}.

so it's obviously a machine that's attempting to create accounts.