Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Sounds like LEGO Jurassic Park/World sets are coming

richlrichl Member Posts: 241
Seems like Chris Pratt accidentally confirmed that LEGO will be producing sets around the new movie next year:

From http://www.jurassicworld.org/?id=178#comments:
Chris Pratt recently voiced Emmet in The Lego Movie and has a Lego figure for both that and for Guardians of the Galaxy. When asked how many figures of him there are, he replied:

"three (…) I’ve just seen and approved the look for my character Owen from the Jurassic Park, er the Jurassic Park LEGO"
I missed a few of the Dino sets last time round (but love the HQ) so I'm hopeful for these.
KingDaveklatu003

Comments

• RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    I believe that either MegaBlok or Kreo (forget which one) has the license. So Pratt probably said "LEGO" as a generic term for interlocking plastic building systems.
  • rocketeer53rocketeer53 Member Posts: 11
    I hope this true, but for over on thebrickfan.com they said that KRE-O owned the rights to JP merch.
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 536
    It would make sense with Mr. Pratt's comment that we have a Dino Hunter, seemingly at random, in the new CMF line upcoming, unless @RomanticWarrior‌ is correct, of course.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,008
    Disappointing if even Emmet can't tell the difference between Lego and Clone Brands! :-P
    RomanticWarriorKingDavemadforLEGOdannyrwwprevereJenni
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,199
    edited August 2014
    ^ Sounds like a mistake that Andy Dwyer would make.

Brickfanatics says the other JP license expires this year ..
    http://brickfanatics.co.uk/lego-jurassic-world-sets-confirmed-for-2015/
    edited August 2014
    just looked at the first link...that's very badly written, to take a comment like that and turn it into "Chris Pratt confirms Jurassic Park Lego" is just such a stupid way to write. You gain no credibility by reporting rumour as fact, unless you are ridiculously lucky and somehow always get it 100% right.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^^ But that was on the basis of the film being released this summer - kre-o toys were apparently scheduled for this summer but along with the film have been pushed back.
    ^ Yes, presumably the license will be extended.

I wonder what he said when he saw the figure if it is a KREO one. "Blimey, I sure do look crap."
    ^I'd like to imagine it would be more along the lines of "Can it look more like Lego?"
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,733
    Someone at EB has apparently seen Jurassic World in the 2015 retailer catalog.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,926
    Blah. Did the last dino series do well enough for them to really consider doing it again? I guess it is better to do it with the license than have someone else do it and get the profits, and perhaps hope it does better this time because it is licensed.

• RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 356
    My son will be ecstatic. (If he still loves dinosaurs in a year... so fickle at this age!)
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    edited August 2014
    Would love it, but they should really do brickbuilt dinos. That t-rex is awesome really, but not something I'd connect with Lego, it's more of an action figure than anything else.
    tamamahm said:

Blah. Did the last dino series do well enough for them to really consider doing it again?

I doubt the performance of the 2012 theme figured into it very much. I imagine the molds made for it did, though. The license will make a big difference in who is interested in the sets.

I don't expect the new film to be anything more than a typical action blockbuster with dinosaurs in place of the bad guys, so I doubt I'll be interested in any sets based on it. The possibility of sets based on the original film is what interests me.
  • CrownieCrownie WA StateMember Posts: 228
    edited August 2014
    binaryeye said:

The possibility of sets based on the original film is what interests me.

You mean when movies were movies and not strung-together action set pieces? ;-P (I know some might debate that statement regarding the original Jurassic Park, however.)

RIP Richard. I miss you already.
    binaryeyeLostInTranslationGothamConstructionCo
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    CCC said:

^ Yes, presumably the license will be extended.

I wonder what he said when he saw the figure if it is a KREO one. "Blimey, I sure do look crap."

Dude! Kreo figures don't look that bad! I actually like them.

Based on info posted at EB, it looks like there will be five sets. The NZ prices were posted; these are the corresponding US price points:

$19.99 - $24.99
    $39.99 - $49.99
    $49.99 - $59.99
    $69.99
    $109.99 - $119.99
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,391
    edited August 2014
    Well, I guess this means I better dump my Dino sets before the prices drop...both of them.

If they release a UCS Rex, I may have to jump at it...
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,019
    Doubt this is happening

Doubt this is happening

The source seems pretty reliable to me. They also provided a more detailed list of 2015 City sets when a less detailed list was already known. And this is the same source that provided info about Chima, Creator, Pirates, Supercars, and The Simpsons, all of which seems believable, so if Jurassic World doesn't seem believable then all of these go along with it.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,349
    I really want this to be true, but not sure. Hasbro announced last year they had the rights via their Kreo brand to make construction toys and that sets would be out this summer. However, that never happened, then again the original slated release date for Jurassic World was some time ago... So it is possible that Studio have switched companies leaving Hasbro with the action figures and giving construction toys to Lego, I certainly hope so.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,019
    If true I wonder what the marketing/licensing difference will be. What I mean is, Dino, as far as I know, was a half baked/mediocre line. It did alright. Not excellent and not poor; although if anything, I thought a lot of these sets were fairly well discounted not long after release?

My question I guess is what does everyone think the success of this line will be and will we pay over inflated prices because of the licensing deal?
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    This line is sure to bite into my budget next year, couldn't resist ha ha
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,364

If true I wonder what the marketing/licensing difference will be. What I mean is, Dino, as far as I know, was a half baked/mediocre line. It did alright. Not excellent and not poor; although if anything, I thought a lot of these sets were fairly well discounted not long after release?

My question I guess is what does everyone think the success of this line will be and will we pay over inflated prices because of the licensing deal?

In the US, most DINO sets were clearanced out in early 2013. I picked up most of the line for 50% off at WM during that time. The prices have been slow to climb, but they have still been doing ok for an original theme.

The argument can easily be made that the color scheme of the DINO sets was meant to mimic JP in the first place. The problem is that there was nothing to really drive kids to the sets, beyond just loving dinosaurs. If the theme had been released at the same time as Jurrasic World, it would have done a great deal to generate sales even if it was not branded with the JW logo.
    Aanchir
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 222
    Guess Lego owns an apology to all the Jurassic Park projects at Cuusoo. Who knows, maybe they will allow the original submitters to post their projects to gain votes.
  • richlrichl Member Posts: 241
    I think we need a t-shirt saying 'Chris Pratt was Right'. Very excited to be adding the new sets to the Dino ones next year.
    dannyrwwRomanticWarriorLostInTranslation
    Lordmoral said:

Guess Lego owns an apology to all the Jurassic Park projects at Cuusoo. Who knows, maybe they will allow the original submitters to post their projects to gain votes.

Not at all. Chances are they were negotiating the license way back then. Putting a project based on someone else's IP does not give you any rights over whether Lego can do a similar series in the future.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    Excited to see the JP sets. Hopefully there are some larger/detailed sets!

^CCC: What if Lego were not negotiating the license when the Cuusoo sets were submitted? What if Lego derived (aka stole) the idea from the Cuusoo submissions and the soon-to-be released sets bear a definitive resemblance to those submitted via Cuusoo?

I'm sure there is some legaleze in the Cuusoo submission process that gives Lego a pass for stealing people's ideas if they choose. However, with a competent attorney, it's not certain what the outcome of a lawsuit challenging such might be. Fortunately for Lego, they probably have access to the best defense attorneys in the business (duh!), and any such case may not be worth pursuing for a plaintiff's attorney. So there's probably little chance of anyone actually challenging Lego stealing an idea if it were to happen.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    ^ based on the things they do to change the currently made Ideas sets from their originals I would guess there would be enough difference in the produced sets from anything on Ideas that they could easily claim that given the source material, the availability of bricks to work with and cost constraints that it is coincidence if anything comes out looking close enough to be considered "stolen". Work that out into legaleze and you've got yourself set.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    nkx1 said:

I'm sure there is some legaleze in the Cuusoo submission process that gives Lego a pass for stealing people's ideas if they choose. However, with a competent attorney, it's not certain what the outcome of a lawsuit challenging such might be. Fortunately for Lego, they probably have access to the best defense attorneys in the business (duh!), and any such case may not be worth pursuing for a plaintiff's attorney. So there's probably little chance of anyone actually challenging Lego stealing an idea if it were to happen.

Since Jurassic Park isn't the intellectual property of anyone submitting to Cuusoo/Ideas they have no right to sue over it. However, if Lego has paid for the licensing of that IP has it within their rights to sue anyone utilizing it, if not for monetary damages that they could charge result from brand damage and infringement then for the removal of the content from any server hosting it.

Point is that if you don't own the root IP rights or have express written permission from the IP holder, you have no claim.

nkx1 said:

Excited to see the JP sets. Hopefully there are some larger/detailed sets!

^CCC: What if Lego were not negotiating the license when the Cuusoo sets were submitted? What if Lego derived (aka stole) the idea from the Cuusoo submissions and the soon-to-be released sets bear a definitive resemblance to those submitted via Cuusoo?

Plus the designs on cuusoo were "stolen" / derived from others anyway, in the sense that similar MOCs by others were online before they were put on cuusoo.
  • giuelegiuele Member Posts: 2
    I herd that and I think that they shod be pretty cool
  • weaselkingweaselking Member Posts: 60
    I ended up getting all the Dino sets for my kids (ok, who am I kidding: for me). I look forward to seeing the JP sets as well. Bring 'em on!
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,611
    edited October 2014
    I doubt we will see anything like this:
    Lego Ideas Jurassic Park -project
    PjulicherDougout
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    ^ That would be the only thing I would need.
    knoosePoMoPinkTXLegoguycardgeniusAdzbadboy
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,236
    It'll be the Dino theme but without imagination (constrained to reflect a few of the set-pieces of the film like the dull sets for The Hobbit) and costing 30+% more. I can see why TLG likes brand-driven themes to aim for a more stable return on investment but to me they're dead ends for the most part.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    edited October 2014
    ^I think you're right in general. However, there are some exceptions, those being the POTC ships. Those were pretty cool, and apparently many other folks think so, too. $330+ for BP and more for QAR on ebay.

So there is hope for these to be halfway decent sets, however slight. I'm expecting to be disappointed, but still have some hope!
  • davetheoxygenmandavetheoxygenman Colorado, USAMember Posts: 180
    edited November 2014
    A few non-watermarked images of the new dino's are making the rounds.

*Link removed at LEGO's request*
    Andor
  • monkeymonkey Member Posts: 234
    Might be why lots of previous Dinos are on eBay now. Re-sellers panicking ;)
    monkey said:

Might be why lots of previous Dinos are on eBay now. Re-sellers panicking ;)

Purely coincidental ;)

Or the prices have just started to tick up finally and the holiday shopping is the best time to sell LEGO sets. That's why any copies I have are up right now.
    Are they all just reprints? I can see the small ones are, but didn't have the larger ones from this series.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,260
    ^ I believe they are all reprints.

^ I believe they are all reprints.

I think the head and body of the white T-Rex are new. The previous versions from DINO did not have the spikes. Just the reddish and olive versions of the second mould shown.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,356
    ^ All are using the old Coelophysis, Raptor and T-Rex moulds from the Dino line, just with new hyper-detailed prints... except the white "D-Rex" (as I think it's called?), which looks like all but the legs are brand new moulds on that one. Well, it works well as an arctic T-Rex I suppose.

I can't wait to add these to my moulded dinosaur collection when they come out. I'm already stoked.
    Is the white one based on a real dinosaur or imagined? I don't think there is anything that large known to have spikes like that.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    The necks can turn on most of these, which is an improvement over the last Dino line. And yes, that albino T-Rex is unnerving.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,626
    binaryeye said:

Is the white one based on a real dinosaur or imagined? I don't think there is anything that large known to have spikes like that.

I believe part of the film storyline is that there is a functioning Jurassic Park but attendance is dropping so they create a new attraction by designing a dino using T-Rex and other DNA, which can only end well.
    wagnerml2
  • aimlesspursuitsaimlesspursuits USMember Posts: 207
    The official trailer is out...

Looks good.
    DiggydoesJohnnyfinlandia
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,066

The official trailer is out...

Looks good.

Monorail anyone?! ;)
    BuriedinBricksTheBrickLaddDougoutRailsJohnnyfinlandia