Last post viewed question.

graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
So when logged in, the forum keeps track of when you read a thread last and takes you to the next post you haven't viewed. But when reading posts and you do something like click on a photo to view the larger version and then hit back to go back to the thread it reloads the "latest" link and takes you to the end assuming you've now read everything the last time. Is there an option some where or a way to set it up so that situation can be avoided? Also it seems odd that it takes you to the latest page even if you've never been on that page but I guess it isn't keeping track of that, just that you've viewed the thread resets the "latest" point.

Comments

• MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    The forum assumes that you've read up to the end of the page you're currently on, which is why people were able to keep pressing F5 on the Fairy Bricks raffle thread so they didn't need to worry about page numbers. If you're going to leave the page without reading to the end of it, and there is another page after it, there's no way for the forum to know you haven't read to the bottom, so it takes you to the next page. The only workaround that I can think of is to open the image/link in a new tab.

Are you saying that if for example you read to halfway down page 1, then click on a photo, reloading the #latest link takes you to eg: the top of page 3 (if that is the latest page), or to the top of page 2, which it should do?
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    ^ In this case there was only one more page. I was halfway down 10 and it took me to the top of 11 which I guess it is how it is supposed to work.