Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2014 Advent Calendars

Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
Any thoughts on the next wave of Advent Calendars? The three sets to be offered are the Friends #41040, City #60063, and the Star Wars #75056.

I kind of like the City and SW sets, and I'm sure my daughter will want the Friends set. The big question for me is what they will cost.

Perhaps next year they can do a Super Heroes Advent Calendar instead of the SWs calendar...

Comments

• luckie_reubsluckie_reubs Member Posts: 299

Perhaps next year they can do a Super Heroes Advent Calendar instead of the SWs calendar...

Aw, I would love a Superheroes (DC specifically) calendar. That would be a huge seller, I'd imagine.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922
    Day 1 - A little wall for Hulk to smash
    margotandhecarlq
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    Are those new police designs in the city one? Look like more realistic uniforms than most of the other ones.
  • XefanXefan Member Posts: 1,149
    I actually like the look of the Star Wars one this year having been completely underwhelmed in previous years given that I couldn't tell what any of the little ships or vehicles or whatever they even were were meant to be. These actually look recognisable.

City one doesn't look any different to how it always looks, if you lined them all up I couldn't tell them apart year by year. At least last year it had a dalmation I think? would've been niced if they chucked an arctic set husky in this year or something.

Friends just looks horrible and makes me want to vomit, but friends has that effect on me in general.
  • LosimagicLosimagic UKMember Posts: 397
    A Wampa cave Luke with no Wampa? :( Who shoved him up there then?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    They are good enough value if you can pick them up for about £10 / half RRP.

The problem with any superheroes one is that it would be just like the SW one, but probably worse. You will not get 24 minifigs in it. You'll get about 6, a couple of which will be Batman in a santa suit and someone / thing else in a Christmas outfit. You'll probably get another Spiderman in exactly the same outfit as other sets. Then what will the filler for the rest of the days be? At least SW has spaceships that can be done at microscale. Maybe a spotlight with the existing round dish with the bat symbol on it. Maybe microscale batmobile and batboat from the batman game. And I'm running out of ideas.

The City one is not too bad this year, fairly similar to last year and the year before. The way to tell them apart is the outfit that Santa wears. At least now he gets the modern Santa hat and not a bandana.

If I get one cheap, we'll use it. Otherwise, we put together our own. Usually now we do a bigger build, where the kids get part of the model each day. For example, set #3300014 can be stretched out over about 14 days, add in a few other mini builds to complete the scene and they get one nice display rather than 24 stand alone fairly insignificant sets.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,421
    I actually really like the Lego advent calendars. I always get the star wars ones, despite not being that into the little ships its nice to have a little build each day and the mini figures are always a nice bonus, the santa characters can be a bit weird, but I think they are a bit of fun.
    I'd love to see other themes get the advent treatment, but I think that most themes would only work for one year. A LOTR/Hobbit one would be great, lots of potential for mini builds (e.g mini pirate ship, mini siege tower, mini tree ent as well as potentially mini buildings -maybe slightly harder on the micro scale) but theres also potential for the weapon holder type days that the star wars ones have.
    I know that my other half would love a disney princesses advent calendar, and thats a theme that definitely lends itself to the christmas theme - a lot of disney films will have short xmas cartoons made of them and the characters can very easily be put into christmas scenes.
    I think Harry Potter would be the only theme that might have worked as long term as Star Wars for advent calendars - as Christmas features in most of the books/films - but I think it'd probably get a bit repetitive after a couple of years....but a santa Hagrid would have been awesome!
  • JoehelldeloxleyJoehelldeloxley Member Posts: 35
    I never bought one of them before. I always thought there was a bit expensive for the value.

But this year I will buy the star wars one because I'm fed up of missing the Christmas Minifigure and I will do a good use of the Darth vader's one!
  • JoehelldeloxleyJoehelldeloxley Member Posts: 35
    For the Super Heroes one, I think it's a good idea but they can still keep the star wars one.

They can even do a DC AND Marvel super heroes calendar, I'm sure people (especially people who are on this forum) will buy both.

Next year we will have the new Star Wars movie with new characters to put inside the calendar (like Old Luke, Leia, Han or an grey hair Chewie).

^I cant wait to see a bearded luke minifigure.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,977
    Hmm. Yes, I can say as someone that usually does not buy the advent calendars because they are way over-priced, that I would have been buying two HP calendars. ;-)

I just wish they would vary it. The repeat of Star Wars and City and Lego Friends is getting old.

Even if they went every other year with Star Wars that would at least as some variety.
    I think that the Star Wars ones have enough of a following that they could keep it along side another licenced theme, but I think if they did that then the City one might loose some following.
    CCC said:

I'm surprised they don't cash in while the going is good and do a one-off The Lego Movie one. Christmas Kitty will sell it by itself.

This. Goldmine.

LostInTranslationLego_StarStormKittycarlqSirBenLegoKip
    edited July 2014
    I get it CCC, there are pros and cons to changing things up, but at the same time doing something like Super Hero, Arctic, Princess
    one year might have been an exciting change of pace. Then there is still a non-licensed theme, and a girl theme. In addition, making the non-licensed them mesh with their latest city offering, AND a winter city offering seems like an easy way to get more kids into their latest offerings.

Yes, the lack of a Lego Movie Calendar is pretty silly. I have at least two kids that would have desperately wanted it if there was a unikitty inside.
    A Christmas Unikitty just seems like a missed opportunity.
    I also think not having Ninjago anytime in the past few years was a missed opportunity.

Even if they didn't switch up all three, it would be nice to see at least something switched up. I loved the year when they had the 'kingdom/castle' advent calendar.
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    personally I enjoy the Advent calendars, sure they are over priced, but the joy from them is honestly so much more than the parts would have you think. Star Wars being my personal favorite (evident by my avatar) I hope Lego continues this trend a good long time. the micro ships are actually very good considering the scale easy to identify what they are (the weapons racks less so)

also how has no one mentioned yet the Santa figure from 2012 star wars.. I mean Mall Santa! correction Maul Santa!
    Mandalorian_Builderdonutboycarlq
    prevere said:

Sneak peak into the Micro Sandcrawler in this year's Star Wars Advent...

LOL!! Quite hilarious!
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    prevere said:

Sneak peak into the Micro Sandcrawler in this year's Star Wars Advent...

That's a $5 piece right there, son.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922
    ^Absolutely. Although, I think the Darth Santa this year will fetch a little extra than usual.
  • Mandalorian_BuilderMandalorian_Builder Member Posts: 197
    Where do these get released? Are they purchased through the site only, or can you pick it up through the lego store?
    ^ The City and Star Wars ones are usually available pretty much everywhere. Walmart carries them most of the time. The first Friends one was LEGO store only. Not sure about last years.
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    This will be our third year using one. In 2012 we got the friends calendar. My daughters loved it, but it really didn't seem like a good value. Two mini dolls and several days of combs and ribbons and such. The next year we used a 2012 Star Wars Advent Calendar that I was given for my birthday in January (the will power needed to not open it...). A lot more mini figures and the mini builds were neat. Some odd ships and the infamous weapon racks. A little to high priced to justify getting one though and my daughters are not that into Star Wars (and I've always felt that is a slippery slope since the more Star Wars Lego we buy the more we will want to get and there is way too much out there). This year I think we will get the city one. There are lots of nice Christmas scenery to set up and a nice mix of minifigures (which seems to be the high light for my kids). This seems to be the best bang for your buck so to speak. I even have $10 dollars on my VIP card that I have been holding onto).

On another note I think it would be nice to see a Chima, Ninjago, or Lego Movie Calendar. A lot more variety to choose from and no licensing fee (except for maybe the movie) so they would not have to charge more like they do with Star Wars. Christmas Laval or Lord Business would be neat. Given we might get some more weapon racks with Chima or Ninjago.
    I would prefer the scenery pieces over mini vehicle builds btw. Though it works well for Star Wars.
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 509
    The KINGDOMS calendar and the PIRATES calendar... see, those were the real exciting Christmas calendars.
    dannyrwwFarmer_JohncarlqRainstorm26
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    Now I'm sad that I can't get a Christmas Unikitty.
    dannyrwwBumblepantsStormKittyflowerpotgirlcarlqSirBenprevereCHERUBboy
    I think they dropped the ball on not doing a movie themed calendar, but I don't think even they expected it to be as big as it was seeing as how we won't see any new movie sets until 2015. But who knows maybe next year. I was actually thinking they should make a Christmas special with the movie characters, keeping them in kids minds before the sequel comes out.
    on a side not e did anyone see the Simpson Advent calendar gag on the Lego episode.....that one was all minifigures :)
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Yeah...a Lego Movie Advent Calendar would have been great. My kids are starting to wear me out on the movie though. I guess it could be worse...like the kids singing the Frozen soundtrack from dusk til dawn.
    StormKittyklatu003
    Maybe they'll do a movie calendar with the sequel since they now know how big it is.
    edited July 2014

Yeah...a Lego Movie Advent Calendar would have been great. My kids are starting to wear me out on the movie though. I guess it could be worse...like the kids singing the Frozen soundtrack from dusk til dawn.

I'm always singing Everything is Awesome, while my daughter is always singing Let It Go. I think Weird Al needs to do parodies of both.

Everything is Gruesome...
    BumblepantsFarmer_JohnStormKittycarlqMatthewklatu003LegoKipdougts
  • KingDaveKingDave UKMember Posts: 973
    New/different picture of #75056 on the Tesco website (at least I have not seen them before). http://www.tesco.com/direct/lego-star-wars-advent-calendar-75056/318-0210.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=318-0210
    Thanks for posting that. But it looks like the same stuff as past few years, minus the intriguing Vader Santa.
    ^Yeah...it's about time they got Vader into the SW Advent Calendar. We'll probably be doing one as a family this year.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,892
    The Santa Vader just might be enough to tempt me if I can find a decent sale on one.
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Thought the SW was a bit meh last year, never had one before, got bored making little ships I didn't know. Getting the City one this year
    icey117
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 509
    I was just about to write something questioning if TLC can keep up making SW ideas for calendars... But then realised how stupid such a question would be. Like the sets - they can loop the models for infinity without seemingly bother the customers.
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    I got the last 2 years SW calenders and the minifigs are decent enough. The rest is pretty dire as was friends last year. City sets are fine if you want city figs - best of the 3 IMO. If you can wait you often get them 1/2 price after 1 dec as I painfully discovered
    Reserve the ones you want on last day of November in Argos, always half price on the 1st
    Johnnyfinlandia
    They disappeared around here before any clearance last year. I was hoping to by last years and save it for this year.
    Boots 3 for 2 is normally pretty good also
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 926
    These are now available to pre-order on Amazon, and they have a second picture that shows the contents. These images might be available elsewhere but I haven't seen them before.
  • rockyctrockyct Member Posts: 4
    They are already on sale at Legoland CA.
  • sdetskysdetsky Member Posts: 35
    They are also on sale at the Lego Store in Toronto (Yorkdale Mall).
    I picked up the 2014 SW Calendar last Friday at our store. It looks pretty good...
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    The kids get too high a dose of materialism with Christmas as it is. I don't need more pre Christmas. I had bought these in the past but now stopped.
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    Saw the City calendar at Fredmeyer in Washington state. If you have to have it now, freddys are having 5$ off $25 toy purchase coupon and another 10% off home coupon.
    Cleveland store had a bunch with 10% for damage to the box. Frankly, those boxes are extremely weak. And really, who saves Advent boxes?
    edited August 2014

The kids get too high a dose of materialism with Christmas as it is. I don't need more pre Christmas. I had bought these in the past but now stopped.

Who said I was buying it for the kids? ;-)
    prevere said:

Cleveland store had a bunch with 10% for damage to the box. Frankly, those boxes are extremely weak. And really, who saves Advent boxes?

Actually the plastic holders inside the boxes are great for sorting Lego pieces and they stack well when not in use.
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 895
    Indeed the trays once cut into individual pots form an integral part of my Lego storage system. Waiting for this years calendars to extend my system and get some more bricks.