Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Calculating US Shipping.

EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
edited September 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to figure out how to calculate shipping of Lego to me in Australia, without harassing Bricklink sellers.

After some trial and error, (mainly confusing USPS and UPS, still don't know the difference except that the latter want $100 to ship some Lego :/ ) I've been going to the USPS website, selecting Australia, the package shape, and keying in the weight from the Bricklink entry, and converting it Google (kg/g -> lbs/oz).

But then, I'm not sure which to choose, ideally, I want the cheaper option, which is nearly always Priority Mail. Is that the option I want? That's not the slow boat is it?

Does all of that sound about right? Sorry about the mostly off-topic discussion, but I wouldn't know who/where else to ask.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    Quickly mind you, looking at USPS...Priority Mail International takes roughly 6-10 days (for major markets) and they have a quick chart showing Australia/New Zealand Price Group 10:
    1 lb...$28.75usd
    2 lb...$33.60
    3 lb...$38.45
    4 lb...$43.30
    5 lb...$48.15
    10 lb.$74.40
    20 lb.$126.90

Also factor in Bricklink sellers adding in handling charges too.
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 272
    edited September 2011
    On the USPS website they have this for Australia. About halfway down are the prices for Priority Mail International.

http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ab_012.htm#ep1572941

legoDad is correct, the Priority Mail International will require 6-10 days for delivery but the most economical method for most Lego shipments. For shipments under 4 lbs, you can use the First Class service which is a little cheaper.

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I ship sets to Australia all the time. As the two posters above mentioned, USPS Priority International is by far the cheapest option on larger sets, and my delivery time averages around 8 days to Sydney/Melbourne areas, and a couple days longer to more outlying areas.

If you are shopping on Bricklink, be sure to check the store terms as legodad said. I'd also be happy to get you a quote for any item plus shipping you might want.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,031
    Eric, all the commenters above have given you axcellent answers. The only other thing I would like to add is that with regular Priority Mail you will also get tracking and insurance.

Some insurance is already included with the basic fee (it depends on country, but it is somewhere between $70-$100), and if the LEGO you are buying is more expensive, more insurance can be added for a minimal fee.

With First Class Mail, and with the Priority Mail Small Flat Rate box tracking and insurance is not an option.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    akunthita makes some good points regarding trackability and insurance. Unless I am sending something very small, I always send all my overseas shipments via Priority or EMS. I always say better safe than sorry. The one time I did send an item to the UK via First Class, it went missing and the receiver never received anything. Since then, I always try to protect myself as well as the buyer in any transaction. In your case, I'd say pay a little extra and go with at least Priority with Insurance.
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    edited September 2011
    Thanks for all that info, I appreciate it. :o)

Dougts, I'll keep you in mind. When I get a bit of money together, I'll probably purchase a few of the Alien Conquest sets instead of this Series of Minifigs, in one transaction, to eliminate multiple shipping prices. I'll let you know. What sort of sales do you get in your area? 20%, 25% or more? And what percentage will you add on? Just to give an idea of how much I'm up for. :o)

Thanks again everyone.
    I'll send you a PM Eric.
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    For comparison here's prices from the UK:
    http://www2.royalmail.com/delivery/postal-prices
    click "full list of prices" halfway down to get a wall chart of prices.

0.46kg or 1Ib is £6.48 ($10.35) world wide and so on, in a fairly logical way (think it's £1.11 per extra 100g) The lowest prices is £2.07 for the first 100g.

Considering the massive difference in postal prices, UK (or EU sellers can work out cheaper)

(and hey, since we're in buying and selling area - give me a shout if you want to buy, Alien conquest is around 25% off at the minute in the UK)
    now if we could just get US LEGO prices with UK postal prices - we'd all win, eh?

;-)
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    ^agreed! and if we could have a word with those pesky custom people, things would be even better!