Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

basics on buying from bricklink, ebay, etc

I have never bought LEGO online, but I'm working on a MOC for the first time that goes beyond simply digging around the LEGO box and building whatever I want. I'm trying to create a minifig scale version of my house. So I'm in need of specific parts in specific colors.

I've written down a general list of what I'm looking for, but even dinking around Bricklink is overwhelming. I was thinking I probably want to find as many of the pieces as I need from the same seller, to keep shipping costs down. Should I start with a store near me, with the highest # of parts? Also I can't believe how expensive some of these pieces are! When you need hundreds of pieces, a quarter each for a 1x2 brick adds up pretty quick, lol.

Maybe what I need to do is visit the local 'Bricks and Minifigs' store and go through their bulk bin first, haven't been there in a long time.

Comments

• NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 449
    You could buy a joblot of lego, say 20 kg and hope you get most of what you need. Try and get sellers to contact you by placing wanted ads. You can get good prices as people want rid of things in quickly.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    Shopping on BrickLink is easy. Please don't feel overwhelmed. What you need to do set up a a Wanted List. You add all the items you want to your Wanted List.

You can also choose colors and minimum amounts of pieces you need. I would suggest that you do pick the colors that are essential, for parts where it doesn't matter, just leave the field blank.

As far as minimum numbers, I suggest that you leave this to the default blank. This way all sellers who have the parts,e ven in smaller quantities, will show up. In my experience with a larger project like that you will end up shopping from 2-3 sellers. So perhaps one seller will have 50 of the pieces, and the other another 50 (if you need 100 of the same part in total).

Once you set up your Wanted List, with an easy checkmark you can filter which sellers have most of the parts you need. I would suggest to choose the sellers in your own country, or somewhere nearby to save on shipping. But that's pretty much it. Oh, and check the seller's feedback to make sure they have a good reputation.

I shop on BL at least once a week and never had an issue. It is really easy to work on multiple projects at the same time as you can also set up multiple Wanted Lists. If you have any further questions just let me know. I'm happy to help out. :)
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 927
    Similar thing on Brickowl - you can complete a 'wishlist' and the website will tell you which sellers can sell you most of it, and at what cost.
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    You can even use brickstore software to help you build your wish list and can then add them to both bricklink and brickowl.

Both brick link and brick owl aren't that difficult to use but can be daunting at first. I only just discovered after months of using, how to find the seller with most parts on a wish list in brick owl. just stick with it and you'll be fine.
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    Quick bit of advice regarding BL if anyone can help?

I have uploaded a file into the wanted list section. 150 odd pieces, 58 different items.

When you select show stores, does the 'unique items' refer to how many of my unique items the seller has?

I have then selected a UK seller who has 48/58 of my required pieces, is there anyway to remove these items from my wanted list or will they delete upon purchase?

Any help appreciated...
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 895
    @Joel4motion . Thank you for the order which has appeared in my store! You are correct regarding the unique items,they are the number of different lots.

The items ordered from your wanted list have to be deleted manually or there is a flag you can click on the order sheet I think, which will delete the items on the order. It can only be done before you place the order if I remember rightly, it has been a while since I played around with wanted lists.

If you can send me a list of the other 10 items you can't order I will see if I have them in sets yet unparted, which should save you another order. If I have them I will add them to stock so you can update the order. Either pm me on here on via Bricklink.