Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Meet at Bluewater, Saturday 26th July, for the Exo-Suit signing?

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,486
edited July 2014 in Community and Events
Are you planning on going? Want to meet up with fellow Bricksetters? Comment here and let's see what we can arrange...

Comments

• TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,359
    I'm hopefully coming to the event, provided I'll be able to get there on the day!
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,296
    I must have missed this!
    Do you need to sign up in advance somewhere, or just turn up?
    Any idea what time? Or will it be 'get there at 7am if you want any chance of picking up a signed set'?
    Cheers,

Boo
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,486
    Just turn up. Pete will be there 12-4pm.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,788
    Oh what! Why is it everytime a meet is arranged I am doing something! That day is my birthday :-(
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,238
    I'm planning on going. Anyone from the Newbury area (I know there's a few of you on here) wants a lift I'm more than happy to offer a ride.
  • JumpinbeansJumpinbeans Member Posts: 70
    I'll be there. Bluewater is just around the corner from where I live in Dartford but as its a Saturday and I fancy doing some shopping will probably get there around 10:30am.

Will be good to meet up, maybe grab a coffee.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,359
    Actually, for anyone that's ever driven to Bluewater before (because I've never been to this particular LEGO Store): which part of the car park is best to park in for the LEGO Store (if the car park is divided into areas that is)? And how much is the parking there, say for an hour or two? (I'd go as far as asking how bad the traffic is in the Dartford section of the M25 at about 10:30am, but I won't ;-P )

I am also hoping that Bluewater have done their homework and have got enough Exo Suits for everybody - I don't want to turn up at, say, 11:30am and find all the Exo-Suits are sold out. I'm also hoping there won't be an enormous queue for signing, but I won't hold my breath on that.
    edited July 2014
    Its free parking at Bluewater - My preference for parking is usually to go round to the village car park which is between House of Fraser and John Lewis. It is only a 5 min walk to the Lego store but if you want to park closer then the Thames Walk one is the closest place to park (park on 1st floor). Bluewater will start filling up but you shouldn't have any trouble finding a place with the exception of the ground floor parking outside M&S.

http://www.bluewater.co.uk/en/find-us/where-to-park

M25 traffic isn't too bad at 10:35am (on southbound across the bridge) as I am usually returning from Costcos then :-) . If you are coming that way, stay in the left lane and go through gates 16 or 17 (left most) on the toll booth and follow the directions. I guess though it depends on what your satnav says too :)
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,296
    Well I'm aiming to be there. Will look out for fellow Bricksetters.
    Should we have a secret handshake or something...?
    ;o)
  • dino_girldino_girl LondonMember Posts: 107
    Im hoping too
    Ah, thankyou @Jumpinbeans, I'll keep that in mind. I'll be setting the satnav to avoid the toll booths (if that's even possible? It's going to cost enough in petrol as it is!), I might even avoid the motorway altogether and cut through central London actually. I'll just get there as early as possible, then have more time to actually find the store then before the crowds build up :-)

I'd love a way so that Bricksetters could identify each other easily though, I've never met anyone on this forum in person... yet.
    edited July 2014

I'd love a way so that Bricksetters could identify each other easily though, I've never met anyone on this forum in person... yet.

Hmm. Suggestions?

Everyone wears a Brickset T-shirt (see news, a week or so back)
    Everyone wears a red carnation
    Everyone wears a Brickset enamel pin badge. (Huw, I WANT ONE OF THESE - MAKE IT HAPPEN!)
    You walk up to random people in the store and say "I hear the weather in Billlund is good this time of year." If the reply is "Yes, but the humidity plays havoc with your stickers." you know you've met a fellow Bricksetter.

I'm sure others can find a more practical solution...
    StormKittymargotlegomatt
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,038

Ah, thankyou @Jumpinbeans, I'll keep that in mind. I'll be setting the satnav to avoid the toll booths (if that's even possible? It's going to cost enough in petrol as it is!), I might even avoid the motorway altogether and cut through central London actually. I

Central London on a Saturday? You're brave! Congestion charge will cost more than the toll as well.

They'll probably be all the people in the signing queue...

I should be there with my little lad in tow. He wants one as well. Hopefully we can get one each on the day.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,718
    You should be alright driving through London on a Saturday. ;o)

• iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,038
    ^That just goes to show how much I drive in London. I happily stand corrected.
    Legoboy
  • suprajamessuprajames UK SussexMember Posts: 366
    Will try and pop up there, its also my birthday as well, so double bonus, few sets i want to get :)
    ^^ I don't blame you, I avoid driving through London whenever I can (I'm sorry, £11 congestion charge is just taking the mick, neither does it stop congestion, but that's a rant for another forum) unless the distance is considerably shorter (despite the fact that I live in London, so by default I cannot avoid driving through it) ;-)
    The toll for crossing the bridge/tunnel is £2 each way except between 10pm and 6am when its free. I'd recommend paying that over travelling through central London on a Saturday (traffic/stress) but thats me....i don't like driving in London at all. The other alternative if you are coming from west of London is go counterclockwise on the m25.

I'm driving down to Gatwick Airport to drop off the family on Saturday morning early so can let you know what the roads are like (roadworks not traffic) for those coming that way.
    obi_g
    ^^ I'm undecided whether to wear that or a Brickset T shirt.

If I were to describe myself as 'short, glasses, not much hair, green classic space shirt' there could be some confusion :-)
    Lego_StarCoraHarrison52scoobydoocaperberryAdzbadboyStormKitty
  • CoraHarrisonCoraHarrison Member Posts: 242
    Would anyone be willing to pick me one up get it signed and post it on, being from Leeds I can't really justify the drive but it would be a shame to miss out :(

If so message me!!

Much appreciated.

Cora.
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 547
    I will be there... I hope.
  • BricksforBrainsBricksforBrains UK Member Posts: 3
    LOL.
    Huw said:

^^ If I were to describe myself as 'short, glasses, not much hair, green classic space shirt' there could be some confusion :-)

• bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    I'll be there helping out, wearing an official green classic space tee shirt (not one of those cheap knock-offs ;-) ). I'll also have a little freebie for anyone that turns up, even if you don't buy a set (while stocks last!) ... nothing to get excited about, or to make a special trip for, but (hopefully) a nice memento of the day.
    LostInTranslationprincedravenobi_gAdzbadboyStormKitty

The toll for crossing the bridge/tunnel is £2 each way except between 10pm and 6am when its free. I'd recommend paying that over travelling through central London on a Saturday (traffic/stress) but thats me....i don't like driving in London at all. The other alternative if you are coming from west of London is go counterclockwise on the m25.

Oh, I was going to go counterclockwise through Surrey anyway! That's the quickest way for me anyway, and no tolls! That must show how little I know about travelling to East London, Essex and Kent... ;-)

In case anyone wants to find me, I'll be the average sized young woman with glasses, probably wearing some music related shirt (unfortunately... I'm out of LEGO related shirts ;-P )

You walk up to random people in the store and say "I hear the weather in Billlund is good this time of year." If the reply is "Yes, but the humidity plays havoc with your stickers." you know you've met a fellow Bricksetter.

My vote is on this. I can imagine many confused expressions on delivering the first line to non bricksetters!
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,516
    Very nice, cool extra for those that can go.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,280
    I will be there on the 26th, so look forward to meeting some of the many of you that I have not already!
    MissingBrick
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 517
    @bluemoose‌ have you been taking pointers from lego's sdcc giveaways? ;)

i'll hopefully be up / round early-ish as i've got some things to do in the afternoon, back worthing way! i think i can stay around long enough to try and get a signed one or two...
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 517
    i might even take a couple of Walkers for @CapnRex101‌, if i remember...
  • middleton83middleton83 Member Posts: 13
    I'd love to go, but I have to work that day, however, we will see ;)
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    If someone could pay for my flight ticket to Bluewater that would be great!...

:oP
    legomatt
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,315
    Very disappointed I can't join you guys, but I've promised to attend another event that day.

Have a great time and give my love to Pete !
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    On a more serious note, does anyone know how much shipping an exo-suit (with the additional weight of a signature :oP) to Canada would cost?...
    edited July 2014
    I don't know the weight of the Exo Suit, but if I had to estimate, you're probably looking at at least £10 postage @rancorbait (sorry, can't be bothered to convert to Canadian dollars right now ;-P ). Maybe Huw can weigh his copy and tell you the resulting cost? ;-)

It'll still be a lot cheaper than a return flight from Canada, consider that :-P
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,625
    I live 45 minutes away by car, I really want to come however if I can persuade my mom to let me go; it would be a shame for me to miss out on an event like this and get to meet you fellow members of Brickset :)
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    Huw said:

^^ I'm undecided whether to wear that or a Brickset T shirt.

It would be awesome for as many people as possible to turn up wearing green, whether it's a tee shirt with the classic space logo on, or a regular tee, or a jacket, or a dress, or whatever. A sea of green. It'd be lovely.

StormKittylegomatt
  • magrimagri UKMember Posts: 157
    I'm hoping to make it along too. Trips to the Bluewater store seem to be becoming a regular occurrence for me!
    I don't think I own a single green t-shirt. So I'll probably go with one of my nerdy Lego themed t-shirts, but I do have a Classic Space messenger bag so I'll definitely be showing the CS love!
    I'd say postage will be between £12 and £15 to Canada, based on max weight of 750g.
    rancorbait
  • PaulCPaulC UKMember Posts: 5
    Hello folks, this is my first post on the forum although Huw might remember me from some AFOL events held a long long time ago. I've been out of the loop for some years due to various family commitments, but this is one event I can actually get to! If it's ok, I'd love spend some time meeting and talking bricks with all you fine Bricksetters... oh, and maybe get my hands on the awesome Exo-Suit.
  • GoldJonoGoldJono Aberdeen, UKMember Posts: 208
    Any advise on travelling to Bluewater by train I'll be travelling from London Paddington? I was thinking tube to st. Pancras and the HS1 to Ebbsfleet. Then walk or take a bus for the final couple of miles.
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
    GoldJono said:

Any advise on travelling to Bluewater by train I'll be travelling from London Paddington? I was thinking tube to st. Pancras and the HS1 to Ebbsfleet. Then walk or take a bus for the final couple of miles.

Sounds sensible. The other option is from London Bridge which would require a couple of changes to get across London, and still requires a bus at the other end.
    Lego_StarGoldJono
  • eddie20eddie20 Member Posts: 1
    i will be able to make it hopefully early enough as i only live around 15 mins away in gravesend un fortunatly i dont have anything green but it will be cool to meet you at last
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,788
    I've managed to convince mrs redbullgivesuwind that it's my birthday so I can cry if...I mean go. I'll try to say hello.
    edited July 2014
    GoldJono said:

St.Pancras to Ebbsfleet is about 15-20mins and there is a bus from there to Bluewater which is about 5mins away (i think on the 499 as its the most direct). I'd advise the bus over walking.

http://www.ebbsfleetinternational.co.uk/index.php?station=buses-ebbsfleet
    GoldJonoLego_Star
    @PaulC, yes I do vaguely remember you :)

It sounds is if there will be a good number of us there, which is great.
    edited July 2014
    Anyone know if there will be a limit on how many sets anyone can purchase? My nephew's just starting a Masters degree where he'll be doing the electrical engineering on... an Exo-Skeleton! So I want to get one for him. I'd like to get one for me, and a friend in Sweden has asked if I could pick a signed one up for him too.

I guess I can wait and get a 'regular' one for me on the 1st if need be though.
    ^Good question, I was hoping to pick up two, one to build and one to get signed and keep sealed. I hadn't even thought about a limit, but I'd imagine they'd allow two?