Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

National Space Centre (UK) - Lego Fun Days

richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
edited September 2011 in Community and Events
Hi,

Question to any of the UK based members. Have any of you visited the National Space Centre in Leicester? They have had a summer of fun on and are doing Lego City Fun Days over this weekend. I was thinking of taking my daughter and wondered if anybody had any feedback on what the place is like or what the lego events are like?
http://www.spacecentre.co.uk/Page.aspx/341/LEGO_CITY_FUN_DAY/

Any advice appreciated!

richo

Comments

• MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    I believe @DrDaveWatford has been for a LEGO event, so hopefully he's chip in. I haven't yet, but if you go, please let us know if it's any good.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,742
    ^ Yep - the UK Brickish Association held a major event there this year and last :

2011 : http://gimmelego.blogspot.com/2011/07/you-have-reached-your-destination.html

2010 : http://gimmelego.blogspot.com/2010/10/to-boldly-go.html

As a space and science geek I think it's an excellent day out even when there isn't the added incentive of a LEGO-related activity there.....
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    Brill, thanks Dave.

I'll update the thread after my visit!
  • pantboypantboy EnglandMember Posts: 211
    I went with my kids to the Brickish Association event in 2010, the Space Center itself has many interesting exibits, and child focused interactive features, my son who was 6 at the time thought the place was fantastic, seeing all the great lego displays bought me out of my dark ages and i shudder to think how much i have spent on lego since.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,411
    edited September 2011
    I haven't been for a Lego day, but have done a few star wars days there and thu have been great fun and as already said the centre is worth a trip regardless of the events going on.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    edited September 2011
    Hi,

ok, so I am back after a day at the National Space Centre with my daughter. Really enjoyed the day, lots for children to do, and as an added bonus it has the educational side.

In terms of the Lego side of things, I was extremely impressed at the amount of available lego in the building area. I think there was something like 7-8 enormous crates full, and 4-5 large designated building tables. This volume of lego was several times more than even the building/creator area at Legoland Windsor. The variety and quality of pieces was also outstanding. There was a competition running during the day for children to build a space centre, and at the end of the day the winner for the best entry got a set of the new space lego. My daughter is only 5, but she was particularly proud of her own creation.

In addition, another nice touch is that they had a small cinema screen that was continously running two short animated lego films of circa 5-7 mins each, which focused on the Police theme, but also touched on the Space one as well. My daughter was utterly transfixed, and there were also plenty of gags thrown in.

An excellent day out, with a nice bonus of the lego angle for us both.

richo