Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] Amazon: select sets BOGO 40% off

TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
edited July 2014 in Shopping USA/Canada

Comments

• mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    The Pirate ship is an ok deal along with a few other sets (Superhero primarily). But there's a noticeable absence of sets compared to the last BOGO. No Falcon, Black Gate etc. And others are RRP.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    Got me to Batcave´s for 60€ each shipped to Germany (incl.custom fees), pretty good deal, the cheapest in Europe on BL is 90€!
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    Whats the "import fees deposit" mean? cant say ive noticed it before.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited July 2014

Example: Pirate ship ambush - 2 for $130.

In the past I would have ordered the same sets, but Amazon now charges sales tax in TN (close to 10%). Sadly, that is a deal breaker for me. That reason and I'm also getting out of the reselling LEGO biz.
    samiam391
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,101
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    Thanks for the link. Folks should be aware that the discount only works on one pair of items, e.g. you can't buy more than 2 of something and get the BOGO on the entire purchase.
    Went a head and ordered 4 Batcaves for £194.22.

Thanks for the heads up
    edited July 2014

Thanks for the link. Folks should be aware that the discount only works on one pair of items, e.g. you can't buy more than 2 of something and get the BOGO on the entire purchase.

Yeah noticed that at Checkout.
    They are decent deals, but I just cannot pull the trigger on them.
    Not a tremendous deal for me to buy stuff at this point and those ships would be nice if they were not already 60-65 dollars a piece during the Cyber monday blowout last year.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    But...

a) It's a ship
    b) see a

But...

a) It's a ship
    b) see a

Yep, it's a ship. And I actually like it from a visual standpoint. But I just don't see it doing gangbusters in the aftermarket. Maybe $125 this Christmas if it disappears this summer.
    The game you speak of is not for 3-month turnarounds.

I don't do long term investments. I resell primarily to feed my own personal Lego habit. I want to be able to make some money within a six month window.

Plus I'm kind of tapped out. My wife won't approve of another large Lego purchase. I'm already sneaking the Tower of Orthanc in. My ammunition if needed will be that I am videotaping her sisters wedding this weekend.
    minicoopers11
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,355
    mathew said:

I don't do long term investments. I resell primarily to feed my own personal Lego habit. I want to be able to make some money within a six month window.

Then buy the batcaves at roughly £50 each shipped. Will easily sell for double this Xmas.
    ^ Is the Batcave actually retiring? It seems to have languished for awhile much like the Funhouse.
    Its been retired around 2 months i think.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,355
    ^ Its long gone in the UK. I'm sat on my Argos pile @£35 each and have just bought some more from the deal above.
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    ^ I still see them at all of my local Targets in the US (still regular price).
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    Still available at the US [email protected] site as well.
  • luckie_reubsluckie_reubs Member Posts: 299
    Poochy said:

CircleK said:

They've been on clearance here for a whole $0.02 off for a few months here; no one wants to drop $70 on that set because, frankly, it doesn't look that exciting. Bane and Poison Ivy aren't big deals for your Walmart shopper, and Bruce Wayne must not get people excited. I wish, though, that there was an Alfred in there...
  • richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 246
    I'd be in for two pirate ships if I hadn't finally caved and ordered a GE yesterday.
  • galahad2309galahad2309 Member Posts: 33
    ^ Did you order a Grand Emporium? I've been looking for a place to buy one but can't seem to find any instock.
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    ^ It has been going in/out of stock at [email protected] US in the past couple days. Currently out again, but you may want to keep an eye out for it.

Poochy said:

CircleK said:

They've been on clearance here for a whole $0.02 off for a few months here; no one wants to drop $70 on that set because, frankly, it doesn't look that exciting. Bane and Poison Ivy aren't big deals for your Walmart shopper, and Bruce Wayne must not get people excited. I wish, though, that there was an Alfred in there...
    Well this a matter of opinion if course, but having just built it a couple of weeks ago I would agree that it was a snoozer. I was so bored I almost didn't want to finish it. Still... It's Batman. The freaking Batman! I wouldn't bet against it in the aftermarket.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,145
    Thanks for the heads up. I picked up 4 of the Elf Army set for future Hobbit projects. Best to get them now then later on when they will cost twice as much.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    mathew said:

Yep, it's a ship. And I actually like it from a visual standpoint. But I just don't see it doing gangbusters in the aftermarket. Maybe $125 this Christmas if it disappears this summer.

psst... Predictions thread ...

edited July 2014
    For the record, I would have second guessed my decision to post the deal had I been certain that a discussion about reselling would be squelched at its first inevitable sprout. I did my part to only passively engage Mathew's comment, but the fact of the matter is, deals are valued by consumers, resellers and those that are both.
    dougtscloaked7
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922
    Every deal has different value to different people. I do appreciate you posting it!
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    These sorts of opportunities may be the only way to get discounts on some of these sets. I appreciate @TheLoneTensor posting it as I did grab a couple of the sets I have yet to see any discount on.
    @TheLoneTensor : That was a gentle reminder and not a forceful squelch. You may be right when you say speculative talk is inevitable, but there's a difference between it being innate to the conversation (which you seem to be suggesting) and people that know better simply choosing to ignore the separation.

Also, I was kind of clumsy in quoting as I probably wouldn't have mentioned anything if it ended at the "$125 by Christmas". But I do not concede that discussing long-term vs short-term strategy is an inevitability in a shopping thread. There's a thread an entire category for that talk.
    Gentle maybe, but it's more than zero, of which any amount can contribute to killing an organic discussion.

In any event, whether you believe it's an inevitability or not doesn't change the reality. It also doesn't solve the problem that I'm looking to share such finds with whoever wants it, and also provide for speculative discussions as part of those finds. I don't agree that people should "know better" but rather be allowed to discuss. Am I to understand that it is truly a rule that in the Sales & Deals threads, there is zero tolerance for "reseller talk?"
    dougts
    edited July 2014
    ^ Is what you are seeing in this thread "zero tolerance"?

Anyway, how about we take a different approach? From now until the end of the year or until The Great Debate 3.0 happens (whichever comes first), shopping threads can contain as much relevant speculative talk as desired.

My expectation is that the shopping category will become the free-flowing, deal-sharing, informational nirvana for all to enjoy that I am told it will be if freed from oppression.
    teal93mr2
    edited July 2014
    It is interesting that while there is very little reseller talk in this thread there is now a debate about how much reseller talk there can be in a thread, which means there is reseller talk in a non-reselling thread.
    Y'know for once I would like to see people not give admins a hard time for trying to keep the peace. I mean if you have an issue then privately converse with the admin about it, but because someone has taken exception to a admins comment it has now when from a 'hey check out the great deal' thread to another debate about reselling, even if the debate is what is acceptable to say that related to reselling.

And I hope no one gets a bruised ego with my comments here. I'm just trying to help, I'm not trying to start a larger fire... Honest.

::getting off my soapbox:::

I notice the Sentinels Set is now out of stock at Amazon. I was tempted but just could not pull the trigger even though the though of an army of sentinels would be awesome.
    I just think that the set will be cheaper come BF and Cyber Monday at Amazon
    Whoops spoke to soon, back for purchase, but has a shipping date... Apparently only letting people only purchase one now as well...
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 672
    edited July 2014
    CircleK said:

Well this a matter of opinion if course, but having just built it a couple of weeks ago I would agree that it was a snoozer. I was so bored I almost didn't want to finish it. Still... It's Batman. The freaking Batman! I wouldn't bet against it in the aftermarket.

I picked up two at 50% off a while back, and it's much better when you combine multiple sets.

edited July 2014
    That someone was

Y'know for once I would like to see people not give admins a hard time for trying to keep the peace. I mean if you have an issue then privately converse with the admin about it, but because someone has taken exception to a admins comment it has now when from a 'hey check out the great deal' thread to another debate about reselling, even if the debate is what is acceptable to say that related to reselling.

Conversely, I'm surmising you could have taken this thought to a private conversation with me, rather than posting in the thread also. I derailed the thread with the thought I wanted to convey only because it was my thread. No feathers ruffled here though, we're all good.

I'm happy that we're being given the freedom now to talk adultly in S&D threads from the various purchasing standpoints. Let's hope we can entice some of the more prolific deal-finders from the past to dive back in so that everyone wins.

dougtsLegoKip
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    This thread is making me thirsty ;)
    TheLoneTensorgoshe7

Let's hope we can entice some of the more prolific deal-finders from the past to dive back in so that everyone wins.

When I asked previously who fit this description, I received no response. If you can PM me some names, I'll personally invite them back.
    GIR3691 said:

CircleK said:

I picked up two at 50% off a while back, and it's much better when you combine multiple sets.

How'd you find them for 50% off? I find that I'm only drawn to the Bruce Wayne, the Robin, and the red telephone in that set, but the completist fool in me won't purchase those separately. For that reason, I'm circling the local stores that have them on clearance, waiting for a big drop...
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922
    Batcaves were on clearance at Wally in the spring purge for $50 all over the place. At least they were in my Wallys, even the ones with hawkeye mom's and dad's circling the LEGO isle.
    prevere said:

Batcaves were on clearance at Wally in the spring purge for $50 all over the place. At least they were in my Wallys, even the ones with hawkeye mom's and dad's circling the LEGO isle.

That's where they're on clearance here, too, but they're on clearance for the low price of $69.97, which is what they're always priced at...
    Keep checking Wally online. I could see them sneakily changing that price to $50 to get rid of overstock.
    edited July 2014

prevere said:

That's where they're on clearance here, too, but they're on clearance for the low price of $69.97, which is what they're always priced at...

$69.97 was the awesome low price my Wally had them for as well. 50% off would be a no brainer though.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. The only deal with the Amazon BOGO 40% off that was half way appealing to me was the LotR pirate ship, but ultimately decided to pass. I already got a couple at that price and it's just not a set I want to go too deep on.
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 734
    It seems some sets never want to retire...or at least leave the shelves. Batcaves were on clearance here in Iowa last fall for $49...but are back at that same WM for regular price....same with Target. When is the Friends Olivia's House leaving....that's been out since the beginning of the Friends theme came out. Heck...I still have WMs with Ninjago Ultra Sonic Raiders on them. It seems...or at least around here...the $100 plus sets are gone, never to return, from the shelves faster than the $69.99 sets.
  • bri4jennbri4jenn United StatesMember Posts: 96
    edited July 2014
    cloaked7 said:

Example: Pirate ship ambush - 2 for $130.

In the past I would have ordered the same sets, but Amazon now charges sales tax in TN (close to 10%). Sadly, that is a deal breaker for me. That reason and I'm also getting out of the reselling LEGO biz.
    @cloaked7‌ Just register as a business and then you can get a refund for sales taxes paid or not have to pay them in the first place. Then when you sell the items you must collect sales taxes to buyers in your state.

• legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    edited July 2014
    No BOGO but Amazon has the new AT-AT 75054 on preorder for $95.09 from the $109.99 list price. This is a solid deal for a brand new set.

amazon.com/gp/product/B00J4S9BEA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p21_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0TX0RWQS5D33SK3F8A73&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

My apologies if this is not the correct way to link.
    ^ Thanks for the heads up on the AT-AT. I went ahead and pre-ordered although I think we'll see this set regularly at this price or below. I know a lot of people are whining about this set, but I'm happy that Lego decided to re-do it. I came out of my dark ages after the last one retired.
    If I buy any LEGO set that is not an exclusive it will likely be during an Amazon sale. I just noticed the new Creator #31026 Bike Shop will finally be available via Amazon (US) starting on August 1st. Cannot wait to buy this set, but I'm not going to pay retail for it if I can help it.
    Interesting price for the AT-AT, but it will likely be less than this around BF/Cyber Monday.. At least that is what I keep telling myself to restrict my buying of LEGO lately.
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    ^I will be waiting for the stars to align before buying this set as well!

I also see the Imperial Star Destroyer #75055 $110.18 from $129.99 and Ghost #75053 $77.99 from $89.99 for similar preorder discounts on Amazon.
    I think with the non-exclusives that we'll see close to 40% off this holiday shopping season. Which will make the exclusives all the more seemingly overpriced. I'm actually glad that Lego decided against doing the AT-AT as a UCS for this reason. I'd love to have a similar piece count Sandcrawler as I won't touch the UCS version for $300.