Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO at SDCC 2014

AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,748
edited July 2014 in Community and Events
Just thought I'd report what will be going on at San Diego Comic-Con this year. Things like exclusive figs have yet to be revealed, but we're starting to get news on LEGO-related panels.

At 5 p.m. on Saturday, there will be a panel about Beyond the Brick: A LEGO Brickumentary hosted by Joe Meno of Brickjournal.

At 10 a.m. on Sunday there will be a LEGO Legends of Chima panel featuring designers Samuel Johnson (@Spider_Sam_LEGO) and Tommy Andreasen as well as writer John Derevlany.

At 2:45 p.m. on Sunday there will be a LEGO Ninjago panel featuring designers Tommy Andreasen and Simon Lucas and writers Dan and Kevin Hageman.

Any Brickset members going to Comic-Con? If so, I hope to hear if anything cool gets revealed at these panels! Here's hoping we hear more about the LEGO Group's official presence there in the coming weeks!
OscarWRG

Comments

• Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 572
    USA today had the scoop last year on comic con exclusives for lego, so expect to see something next week from them
  • luckie_reubsluckie_reubs Member Posts: 299
    If it's the Batman Zur En Arrh that's an exclusive, I'm going to scream. That's one I really want, but I'll never pay Comic-Con prices for a mini fig.
  • Mandalorian_BuilderMandalorian_Builder Member Posts: 197
    I'm going and my only request from my group is that we get the exclusive! lol
  • LuccideLuccide Member Posts: 42
    i would love to go but i think my wife would kill me if i spent money to fly from australia to the us just for comic con
    bobabricks
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,239
    I won't be in attendance, but if there are any exclusives I'll be watching eBay like a hawk 24/7. Another glamorous SDCC weekend for me.
    bobabricks
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,045
    I really wish TLG would show some presence at some of the UK comic cons. I was at LFCC yesterday and there were so many sellers with a lot of Lego doing really good business!
    AdzbadboyMatthew
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,142
    I will be attending SDCC, but probably won't go to the Lego Brickumentry panel in favor of Hall H Saturday. I dread what Lego will have to give away.... Although it would be awesome to receive an exclusive the odds are not in anyone's favor. I will also be on eBay buying if they give out Super Heroe minifigs. Any other theme I would pass.
    yys4u
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,261
    I will be watching eBay very carefully, hopefully even more carefully than @samiam391 ;o)

Fingers are crossed for Batman Minifigures here.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,748
    The full schedule for Sunday is now live, so we can now see that in addition to the above panels, there will be a LEGO Movie panel on Sunday at 3:45, featuring designers Matthew Ashton and Michael Fuller and actor Jadon Sands.

Also, TT Games will be hosting a LEGO Batman 3 panel featuring the executive producer, game director, and members of the voice cast. That makes five LEGO-related panels at this year's Comic-Con! Awesome! Shame I can't be there.
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,386
    I'm hoping for no exclusive minifigs but l heard of a Batgirl and Red Skull. Don't know if it's true.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    My friend is going and will try to get something for me but we looked at it and it seems like you have to enter a draw...
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,613
    edited July 2014
    Exclusive Lego Guardians of the Galaxy set only available at Comic Con 2014:
    http://blogs.wsj.com/briefly/2014/07/16/rockets-warbird-at-a-glance/

It's very dispointing that this Rocket is better than the one in the normal retail set.
    sidersddBrickDancer
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I ssooo wish it was the same Rocket fig as in the set. Alas, another promo exclusive added to the want list.
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,505
    40 bucks for 150 parts, yikes.

Lets hope they don't do a SDCC Modular building for 600 bucks, we all know that equals the same in £'s once over here, which is before they start to add the "you couldn't get to SDCC" premium.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    Cool set!

I am guessing it will not be numbered like the Star Wars cans of the last couple years but that the wording "exclusive" only pertains to being able to purchase at SDCC.

40 bucks for 150 parts, yikes.

Lets hope they don't do a SDCC Modular building for 600 bucks, we all know that equals the same in £'s once over here, which is before they start to add the "you couldn't get to SDCC" premium.

^
    That's if you get one at the show, otherwise $120.00 on Ebay ;-)

Whoops, just realized there was a thread for SDCC. I'm a fan and can't wait to get my hands on one of these!
    @Brick_Obsession this Warbird will be similar to last year's Micro Bag End and JEK Fighter sets. Both of which were numbered with small little gold sticker (xxxx of 1000). They were also both set at $40 RRP. When they popped up on Ebay, end bids were around $125 then slowly dropped to as low as $75. Only rebounding now to around $100. So patience will save dollars on this one.
    And just in case not everyone found the full pic, here's the entire Warbird with Rocket's full outfit shown:
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    So, that being said... Whose going? More importantly who is the good samaritan that wants to buy me one :D

Really looking forward to this set. Rocket is looking awesome.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    I'm guessing if this variant of Rocket is truly exclusive to this set (and not released in a future set), then this will fetch higher than sets like the Bag End and Jek Fighter.
    sidersdd said:

I'm guessing if this variant of Rocket is truly exclusive to this set (and not released in a future set), then this will fetch higher than sets like the Bag End and Jek Fighter.

That is my thinking... Considering that this could potentially be a minifigure that is limited to 1000, which is similar to other SDCC Exclusives Minifigures in the past which are currently going for upward of $150. $40 is going to look like a bargain.
  • husky96husky96 Member Posts: 46
    I think the past couple of years, they had two mini sets for sale. We'll see how long the line will be for the GoTG Rocket set. I got lucky enough to get 2 mini Jek-14's last year. Anyone planning to try and get one this year? If so, please email me and maybe we can work out a trade for other stuff you'd like at SDCC.
  • rawbobrawbob UKMember Posts: 496
    I have a spare spider glider if anyone wants to trade for one!
    MojoestoceanangelAdzbadboy
    ROFL - We'll see how nutty is it at Lego this year. It looks like Rocket can sit on his Warbird right?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,297
    Interesting legs, black feet and dark red short legs.
  • jondesouzaCEjondesouzaCE UKMember Posts: 242
    At least the minifig is a costume variation rather than something totally new.
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    Any attendees? Pm so i can make you an offer :) must have for me
    LOL - I'm going, but it's never fun to pre-arrange trades b/c there's not a guarantee to grab one of these, plus I need one for meself! lol
  • nerick906nerick906 Bristol, UKMember Posts: 375
    If anybody can get me one, I will be more than happy to all the costs and return a favour if necessary !

Let's make it a my birthday gift ! :D
    If it was Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, I'd take offers to get someone on the forum the exclusive, but Super Heroes is my favorite theme, so this is a must have for me as well.
    if i remember correctly they let you buy more than one, just saying :)
  • MojoestMojoest UKMember Posts: 474
    Can I add my name to the list of people looking for one of these sets. PM me if you're going and I'm sure we can come to a deal to cover the cost, postage and something for your help. Thanks
    In the past they let you buy 2 per day.... ha ha... unfortunately you have to be among the first people to arrive at the booth... which means you have to get to the convention center several hours before the hall even opens and wait in a long line and hope people run off to booths you don't care about. Basically it is like Black Friday, but probably 10x worse. Lego is among the booths that everyone wants to get to.... pre-arranging anything is being a bit optimistic.

I will consider myself VERY fortunate to get 1. If I don't get one, I will gladly pay $100+ on eBay for one.
    yys4u
  • legodudelegodude Member Posts: 137
    The arm and leg printing is cool. However I mainly collect DC and after Plastic Man I am satisfied with not getting this.
    I dont remember them allowing you to get two. They will allow you to buy one of each, and each day, but not on the same day iirc. Thing is, no one wants to go through that line a second day. Rofl.
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,298
    I wish they would do leg printing like that more often...it would have been great to see the regular Rocket with it and the Hobbits from LOTR and the Hobbit
  • MeadleMeadle UKMember Posts: 84
    Any spare tickets for comic con???? I failed to get tickets when they went on sale but will be in San Diego with 2 friends during the comic con....
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,261
    Several members have already put their names down, but I will just note my interest as well. If anyone is going to SDCC and can get one, I would love to purchase it!
    i'm reading on eurobricks, they are discussing whether due to the moulding on his feet this will be a limited run or like azog a preview fig. not sure how i feel, like my sdcc exclusives to stay exclusive! we almost have a queue formed now, very British of us :) @capnrex101 back of the line :p cant wait for sdcc weekend sat on ebay, bargaining
    vitreolum
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    I'm wondering about that as well... this is the first set to feature an exclusive minifig.
    Both sets last year, the mini figs were available after
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,297
    Wasn't Jek 14 unique? And Luke in the mini landspeeder unique from nycc in a similar set.
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 850
    If any one wants to pick one up for me i would be forever greatful :-)

I am totally hoping there or no exclusives this year like in the past few years. I do not know if my wallet can take it.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,546
    WSJ just released a new figure, The Collector. Yikes, people will be fighting for this!
    sidersddLostInTranslationchuckpsamiam391carlq
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,613
    edited July 2014
    ^NOOOOOOOOOOO!!

At Comic-Con, Lego plans in all to reveal more than 20 exclusives, including other limited-edition sets and life-size models for film franchises such as “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,” “Star Wars” and “The Lego Movie.”

The two other Lego sets that will be sold at the Lego booth are of a Batmobile from the classic television series, and of the Ghost starship from “Star Wars.” Each is priced at $39.99 and Lego will sell 1000 of each set during the show, capped at 250 per day.

Read more at:
    http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/07/17/check-out-the-huge-lego-model-of-groot-and-rocket-raccoon-for-sdcc-exclusive/
    OMG say it ain't so! I can't find anything on it yet, what are the details?
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,505
    20 exclusives.

For Shame LEGO, for shame.
    husky96GothamConstructionCo
  • husky96husky96 Member Posts: 46
    What if LEGO did the anti-SDCC thing and mass produced all of these "exclusives". Reduced amounts of aftermarket selling (at lower prices), no pissed off fans, etc. Dare to dream.
    they are changing there strategy, clearly
    Anxiety attack. Puke.