Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

[US] Target B&M: Clearance - Summer 2014

Comments

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    ^ They're out in LEGO stores now so I would assume the other retailers will have them out soon.
  • norm103norm103 Member Posts: 288
    Week of Aug 4 is when toys resets so set will be out then at target
  • MathiasMathias United StatesMember Posts: 94
    I just picked up a few new Star Wars sets at the store in Chicago yesterday. Spent enough and got a free shredder minifig in a poly bag.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Mathias said:

I just picked up a few new Star Wars sets at the store in Chicago yesterday. Spent enough and got a free shredder minifig in a poly bag.

Going off-topic here, I suppose, but... I'll be in Chicago the weekend after this. Was this the store in Chicago proper (on Michigan Ave.) or elsewhere?

• CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    Managed to pick up a single #76002 Metropolis Showdown for $3.88. Everything else that was left is still holding at 30%.
    binaryeye said:

Mathias said:

Going off-topic here, I suppose, but... I'll be in Chicago the weekend after this. Was this the store in Chicago proper (on Michigan Ave.) or elsewhere?

Yeah sorry for going off topic. Yes in Chicago. Water tower place mall on michigan ave. Walk in go up two sets of escalators. Straight across the main area. Can't miss the giant Lego sign.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    Creator Family House is getting the clearance. But my local Targets are either at 30% or no stock at all. I'm holding off. I expect this set will be around for a few more months along with heavier discounts.
  • adol7adol7 Member Posts: 150
    The sets I've been eyeing the last 2 weeks were mostly still at 30%, except for Jet Rocka at 50%. There were some new sets added at 50%:
    TMNT Shredder Bike
    Castle Gatehouse Raid & Forest Ambush,
    City Stunt Plane, Police Pursuit & Grand Prix Truck
    Star Wars A-wing Starfighter, Corporate Alliance Tank Droid & Homing Spider Droid.
  • VervishkyleVervishkyle Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2014
    I bought the Homing Spider Droid at my Target. They had a few MF's, but I already have an unbuilt one in the closet (I bought on a Target Clearance a few years ago). I kind of regret not picking up another.
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,928
    If anyone finds #76006 for 50% off I am interested in one.
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    edited July 2014
    I checked three Targets and found a sole #31012 Family House for half off. Anything else worthwhile was long gone.
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 700
    Everything at my 2 Targets stayed at 30% off for the 2nd week, except for one of the Friends #41003 was 30% off and the Creator Family House at 50%.

• luckie_reubsluckie_reubs Member Posts: 299
    I heard a guy at Target last night saying that they're gearing up for the big 60-80% off sale; I guess they've dropped some things on clearance to ease into that so there's not $1000s of dollars of merchandise sitting there at a cut rate. By the time the big cuts move in, there won't be anything worth buying, though, if the stores around here are any indication.
    Checked 3 of my targets between last night and this morning and the only clearance they had left were a couple smallville's, combat lairs, and 2 of them had about 6-8 golden dragons but only 30% off so I'm going to check back on those next week.
    I almost never see anything above 30% at my Target. That's the percentage they start with and will keep it there for several weeks. They never seem to have an issue clearing it all out though.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,711
    edited July 2014
    Really needs a YMMV tag on this.
    I went to my Target's and, as usual, not much on Clearance, and even then not much of a discount.
    I would love to live by Target's that apparently misjudge their clientele and over purchase LEGO for their store and have to keep discounting heavily when having to change the shelf. You would think those stores would learn by now.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,898
    I'd love to see them do that $1 polybag blowout again...perfect timing for that.
    edited July 2014

Really needs a YMMV tag on this.

Well, I put it in the first post. But really, it should be assumed that any clearance at B&M stores will vary.

I would love to live by Target's that apparently misjudge their clientele and over purchase LEGO for their store and have to keep discounting heavily when having to change the shelf. You would think those stores would learn by now.

I don't know how it is at other stores, but my local store rarely has more than two or three of any given set when they go to clearance. That's a pretty slim margin of error when forecasting demand. The profit made on those they sell at full RRP likely makes up for the few they sell at or slightly below cost.

The one exception is Chima, of which they had quite a lot; five or six of the Lion Temples and Command Ships and at least ten of the Combat Lairs. The latter are still sitting around after two weeks at 50% off. This probably has less to do with bad forecasting (on Target's part) and more to do with LEGO's apparently unrealistic expectations for the theme.
    Springfield IL: My son found a lone Lex Power Armor set for $8.30. Also picked up a Golden Dragon and Gatehouse Raid for $12.40 each. For those in the area they still have a few of the latter sets in stock along with Kai Mechs for $5.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,368
    Found an unmarked Kai Fire Mech for $4.98. Left the Creator Family house as it was only 30% and I figure Amazon will do better this Fall.
  • VervishkyleVervishkyle Member Posts: 5
    I live near 3 Target stores and two were out of the MF, but one store still has a few. However, the pricing is not standard in all stores. There were items I bought at one store that were more expensive at other stores. Seems a bit odd, but I am off to find a MF tomorrow.
  • legomasonlegomason Member Posts: 190
    edited July 2014
    Anyone try the Ionix Tenkai Knights blind packs? They have them on clearance at Target for $1.48 and it's a fully-functional 2x4 brick that transforms into a minifig! I'm sure they will go down in price more but they are pretty cool. They totally killed Hasbro at their own game.
  • MilcheaxMilcheax Member Posts: 52
    Between work and home, I'm within a couple miles of 8-9 locations and none of them have any significant clearance labels to report.

Most are out of minifigs, and none have any recent polys left.
  • rocketeer53rocketeer53 Member Posts: 11
    In St. Louis I just found a Lex Power Armor for $12 they are pretty picked over.
    Just stopped at another on the way home found a Batman vs Mr Freeze for $13. Someone had buried it behind about 7 Man-Bat sets and stacked some other stuff on top of it.
  • fenderbender336fenderbender336 Member Posts: 88
    The Lego Stores are selling the new Star Wars summer sets???
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,317
    I bought the Mos Eisley set 3 days ago, along with the new mini cooper
    @starfire2‌ did they have the full line?

Yep, they have them all, at least the one in St Louis does.

Do they have them built and on display? I really want to see the new AT-AT to see if it's worth paying retail. As well as the Cantina.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,317

Yes, but I only liked the Mos Eisley one
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,898
    edited July 2014
    mathew said:

Do they have them built and on display? I really want to see the new AT-AT to see if it's worth paying retail. As well as the Cantina.
    The AT-AT box will blow you away with its small size. Never have seen an 1,100-piece set in such a small box (minus the basic brick ones).
    ^ I'm not concerned about the box. I just want to see the set in person. It looks small, but that may be ok as I eventually want to pick up a few of them (on clearance hopefully) for a Hoth diorama.
    Here's the new at-at built. I picked it up last Wednesday in Chicago.
    chuckp
    Well my local Lego store has all of them! Bought 2 snowspeeders, 2 phantoms, and a ghost. Also got to hold the exo-suit and it was marvelous haha!
    It is good to see them going smaller with the boxes. So much wasted space in there.
    binaryeyeCircleK
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    edited July 2014
    I agree. They can fit easy more boxes on Target's clearance shelves for these new sets if there is less wasted space. Then resellers can buy more at 27% off to pack in their trunks. What do you think they will be worth, and does anyone want to trade my old large boxes?
    graphite said:

It is good to see them going smaller with the boxes. So much wasted space in there.

In all practacality you are correct. But there's something to the consumer psyche that a larger box will make a $100+ purchase more acceptable and more valid especially on a children's toy.
    pharmjod
    ^ True but that only plays until the smaller box is the norm. If size is decreased across the board the larger sets will still be in bigger boxes than smaller ones and people will get used to the smaller LEGO boxes over time. If they compare to other $100 toys that is apples to oranges and they'll find out after buying the bigger boxed turd that they should have bought the LEGO. And in the mean time I'll buy up all the clearanced $100 sets they left behind.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,911
    @mathew I would add that it is something about the American consumer psyche regarding larger boxes. Many in this country still haven't realized that good things come in small packages :)
    vwong19
    ^ I would amend that to say it is just stupid consumer psyche since not all Americans see it that way =)
    binaryeye
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,911
    I know not all American consumers are that way, but I do believe it is a somewhat more American problem than it is in the rest of the developed world. Also, I prefer ignorant because stupidity can't be cured...
    mathew said:

graphite said:

In all practacality you are correct. But there's something to the consumer psyche that a larger box will make a $100+ purchase more acceptable and more valid especially on a children's toy.
    I mentioned this one time as well, but I believe it was it the @TheLoneTensor‌ who responded with something along the lines of it not being as much of a factor as more and more purchases are migrated to online stores. I never thought of it that way before, but it made sense. I usually have no idea how large a product's packaging is when ordering from amazon.
  • LegoLego Member Posts: 62
    Does anyone's target still have the cargo terminal at 50% ?
    Lego said:

Does anyone's target still have the cargo terminal at 50% ?

My local store had two. I bought one; the other was a damaged box and was gone the next time I visited.

It's not 50%, but I noticed one of the local Wal-Marts has the set on clearance for 33% off.
    Lego
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    edited July 2014
    My local Targets just started with 33% last Thursday. Does anyone know if Target typically goes to 50% the following week or do they space it out a bit?
    ^ I think target has a 3 week window at each level.
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    ^ Thanks for the info. I was hoping for a shorter window. The selection was already pretty thin and after 3 weeks it will be nothing but Jet Rocka sets. :(
  • luckie_reubsluckie_reubs Member Posts: 299
    Three weeks, huh? That means those Smallville sets could get to below $20 at our store. I'm wondering what else will hit; we've still got loads of the movie sets and the first half of 2014 Superhero sets. I guess I'll just have to swing by before lunch on Thursday to see the drops.
    Target's got the Power Armor Lex for $15 and change on the website, online only. Amazon fluctuates in and out at that price too. It'll probably be gone some time this year. Nice set.