Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Brickset Builders Guild - Neo-Classic Space MOC Contest

TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,359
Hello all!

Thanks to @Huw for giving this the green light and to good friend @CapnRex101 for letting this happen in the first place, I am pleased to announce the Brickset Builders Guild's first themed MOC contest with real prizes! So, to celebrate the upcoming release of the Exo Suit, I welcome you to the Neo-Classic Space MOC contest!

Basically, all you have to do is build a model of 338 pieces or less that will fit within the general theme of Classic Space (or Neo-Classic Space). You can do mechs, robots, spaceships, space bases, microscale, anything you can think of as long as it's to do with Classic Space.

The prizes will be as follows:

1st prize: A copy of #21109 Exo-Suit, signed by it's creator Peter Reid.

Two lucky runners-up will each receive a copy of #5002812 Classic Spaceman minifigure.

Judging the entries will be the master of Neo-Classic Space himself, Peter Reid aka @Legoloverman. Entries will be judged on the aesthetics (i.e. how faithful is the design to Classic Space?) and use of clever building techniques.

Here are the rules of the contest: Please read these very carefully before submitting entries!
- Builds can consist of absolutely anything, but they should fit in with the general Classic or Neo-Classic Space vibe.
- Builds must consist of no more than 338 pieces. No physical size limit applies, so if you want to use 338 BURP's and huge pieces, you can.
- You can use either old or new grays in your build.
- Physical and LDD builds are accepted, but try to make sure your LDD builds are buildable in real life (no floating bricks, and try to use existing part colour combos. BrickLink's colour guide should help with that). It may be advisable to send the LDD's to me for checking (or attach the LDD file to your entry post either using the forum upload or an external host site like Brickshelf), as too many illegal part colour combos may lead to the entry being disqualified. The use of POV-Ray to render digital models is accepted.
- You may use Photoshop (or other image editing program), but only for basic touchups and background removal. Adding special effects is discouraged, and altering a piece isn't allowed.
- You may enter as many times as you like, but you will only be eligible to win one prize.
- Post each entry as a separate post to this thread.
- Maximum of 4 photographs or screenshots per entry
- You have until the 31st July 2014, 23:59 UK time to enter. Entries posted in this thread after that time will not be accepted.
- Peter Reid's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winners will be contacted through the Brickset Forum soon after the results are announced. All prizes will be sent from the UK, please allow up to 28 days for delivery.

So, good luck to all those who enter, and have fun building!
ShibBumblepantsGothamConstructionCoSirKevbagsAdzbadboyJosephsidersddbrickedinaimlesspursuitsSilentModevitreolumMiniTheFigcarlqLego_StarLegoKipBuzzsawchuckpBrickarmorslakcerintT_Larsjackybrickleg0fanLind_WhispererPerijoveProt

Comments

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,238
    I've never really been a Classic Space fan, but I am looking forward to the Exo-Suit, and the clever little teasers have only helped. I don't think I'll have much of a chance of winning but sounds a fun contest to enter. :-)
    BumblepantsGothamConstructionCoAdzbadboybrickedin
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    !...... I am going to be up day and night till the 31st of July! :oD
    GothamConstructionCobrickedin
    First model finished! :o)
    GothamConstructionCo
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 731
    Aghh. So many unfinished MOCs already and now I'm taking on this too.

Thank you for organising a wonderful competition @TheOneVeyronian and @CapnRex101‌. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's entry's.

Good luck every one :-)
    @rancorbait‌, if I send you my bricks could you send them back in some kind of assembled fashion please? ;-)
    bobabricksCapnRex101rancorbaitAdzbadboyvitreolumStormKittyLegoboycarlq
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    edited July 2014
    Can I use physical test strike color pieces, for example, a red pistol or a white tree?
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,359
    @bobabricks I can't see why not, so yes you're welcome to use such pieces in a physical build since they exist and were made by LEGO... just so long as you can live with all the jealous looks you'll get from part aficionados (like me) for using a rare not officially released part of course ;-P
    He he, I'm gonna use em just to make you mad :)
    :D
    I just had the best idea from that which includes a test strike white hair piece, thanks @TheOneVeyronian :)
  • ChrisbstmChrisbstm USAMember Posts: 151
    Good luck to everyone! I'm always excited for space anything
    bobabricksrancorbait
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    What is the definition of "Classic Space" as it applies here?

"Neo-Classic Space" seems to be used to describe MOCs based on only the earliest Space sets, e.g. #497 and #897. It seems Brickset's database categorizes everything before factions (e.g. pre-Blacktron) as "Classic", e.g. #6891 and #6980.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,359
    ^ I don't know an awful lot about Classic Space (I'm only 20 actually ;-) ), but I think it should fit the vibe of the pre-1980's Space sets, like Benny's ship did for a recent example. Anything that fits with the vibe of the Exo Suit would be good as well :-)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,317
    Neo Classic Space building rules here.
    ^ Ah, thanks for that Dr Dave - useful to know :-)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,317
    edited July 2014
    If in doubt about the required style or colour scheme, aim for this :

or even Pete's reimagined version below...

:-)
    Why 338 pieces by the way? Seems like an odd number, like you would think maybe 350 or even 340...
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

Neo Classic Space building rules here.

It's not that I didn't know what Neo-Classic style is; I was just unclear on whether it was the only style allowed.
    Basically, all you have to do is build a model of 338 pieces or less that will fit within the general theme of Classic Space (or Neo-Classic Space).
    The "Classic Space" here is a bit open to interpretation. But you and TheOneVeyronian have answered my question. Thanks!

Why 338 pieces by the way? Seems like an odd number, like you would think maybe 350 or even 340...

It's the number of pieces in #497.

bobabricks
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    How do multiple entries score? Will they all count together, or will each be judged separately?
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,272

Entry #1:

Neo Classic Spaceship

It was a rather difficult one to pull off as I kept wanting to add more greebles, but I finally got it down to 338 parts :o)

@rancorbait‌ - First entry and you already set the bar sky high!
    rancorbaitbobabricksGothamConstructionCoAdzbadboycarlq
    @rancorbait you should upload that to BrickLink MOCs page, I know at least one person that would buy it ;)
    rancorbaitcarlq
    samiam391 said:

Entry #1:

Neo Classic Spaceship

It was a rather difficult one to pull off as I kept wanting to add more greebles, but I finally got it down to 338 parts :o)

@rancorbait‌ - First entry and you already set the bar sky high!
    Yeah thanks @rancorbait‌!

;-)
    rancorbait
    vitreolum said:

How do multiple entries score? Will they all count together, or will each be judged separately?

Each will be judged on it's own merits, so each build be judged separately :-)

By the way, that is beautiful @rancorbait, reminds me of Pete's revamp of #928 actually. Surely that must be a compliment ;-)
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,280
    @binaryeye - I knew somebody would spot why we chose that particular number :o)
    Lego_Star
  • PepperPepper Wisconsin, USAMember Posts: 91
    This contest looks amazing! It's a shame I'm in the middle of organizing/inventorying my entire collection and probably won't be able to participate.
    One last question, will using a built base count towards the piece limit, or only the model itself will count?
    Matters what you are submitting if the base is just a background it shouldn't count.
    ^^ If it's built as like a vignette scene (like many of your builds are it seems), then yes it would probably count, but if you put your model in a substantial brick built backdrop and focus the picture on the model you've built, it shouldn't count. If it's the latter, just make sure you include pictures of the model you want judged on a plain background as well, and say that the backdrop is not part of the model. Hope that helps a bit!
    I'm almost done with my model I just wanted to know whether minifigs count towards the 338 pieces.
    ^ I think for the purposes of simplicity, as whole minifigs are optional in a build (and the fact that I'm actually a little less strict than I sound ;-) ), each minifig counts as one piece, any weapons they have count as pieces too. It's hard for me to check exact piece counts for physical builds anyway (but stick to 338 pieces in your main build still ;-) ), so I guess just post away!
    Here's my entry. made sure all of the colors followed those specific guide lines and the last picture of the under side has a blue square at the back of the ship that fits the buggy but LDD wouldn't let it fit in, I simulated it with real Lego and it does actually work. :)

The bunny hat is a joke, the base hat looks like a space helmet. ;P
    vitreolumGothamConstructionCorancorbait
    My entry: Mobile Mineral Extractor and Rafinery

Mobile Mineral Extractor and Rafinery

MiniTheFigJosephbobabricksrancorbaitAdzbadboycarlqmargotlegomatt
    ^i really like the use of steering wheels as valves on that.
    vitreolum
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,490
    I was going to go to bed two hours ago, but I seem to have spent those two hours building my very first classic space moc, and it's not even finished yet. It's looking good though, even if I do say so myself :)
    Jenni
    So I rebuilt the entire main wing section this morning, as it was rather flimsy. I've pretty much finished it now, just need some parts in grey and blue. I'll post photos in the 'what are you building' thread - I'm not going to post photos here until it's actually finished.
    Nice MOC @Shib. I like reading back stories of builds and characters.
    Your robots are brilliant, lots of detail on such a small scale and purposefully looking
    Definitely keep going with the moon buggy as well.

I'm completely out of my comfort zone on this competition.
    I've built a few SW MOCs in the past but never Classic space, not to mention my parts palate is lacking suitable elements for the Neo space look.
    bobabricks
    ^ I have exactly the same problem with parts for this! which is part of why the robots happened! the amount of battle droids etc I have means I have masses of arms from the extra parts to help. I'm a story teller by nature so while building anything a bit of a story seems to form in my head while I'm building.
    GothamConstructionCo
    I thought my parts colours may be lacking for it too, but I found that I had quite a lot of blue and LBG, and I've only had to order about a dozen or so parts.

not to mention my parts palate is lacking suitable elements for the Neo space look.

@GothamConstructionCo - Use LDD :o)
    GothamConstructionCo
    edited July 2014
    @rancorbait‌, I love the fact the exo-suits are carried externally.
    Great idea.

Have you come up with a name for the craft?

edited July 2014
    ^ I love it, especially the mini Exo-Suit! We will need a side by side comparison of that mini suit with the official Exo-Suit when it's released @rancorbait. Looks just like it could be it's baby ;-)

So, five days in and we already have some excellent entries. So here's a quick recap of the entries so far which I shall try to post weekly:

Spaceship by rancorbait

Spaceship by MiniTheFig

Spaceship by bobabricks

Mobile Mineral Extractor and Refinery by vitreolum

The Robotics Lab by Shib

Exo-Suit Dropship by rancorbait

If you don't want a generic name used for your MOC - be sure to give it a name in your entry! ;-) I look forward to seeing some more of these wonderful MOC's, you have until the end of the month to enter :-)
    ^ bobabrick's entry isn't linked.
    bobabricks
    ^ Grrr, that's so annoying! Appears the last one isn't linked either. Can a mod fix those links in ^^ please, I appear to have forgot a " at the end of the URL in the unclickable links. No point reposting the list.

@rancorbait‌, I love the fact the exo-suits are carried externally.
    Great idea.

Have you come up with a name for the craft?

No, I'm afraid I don't have a name.
    Nice!