Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Item Numbering

bchowbchow Member Posts: 44
edited August 2011 in Building and Techniques
A black brick 2 x 2 has an item number 3003 but so does a red brick..
So what are the codes for red, black, blue, yellow, green and so on. THEN. I have some legos with the wording... patent pending. I assume it would matter to the said collector of these items piecing together sets but overall do these have more or less value? I would assume this would matter to some degree and I'm still trying to wrap my head around this lego stuff. AND say for example a set has 14 black 2 x 2 #3002 bricks to complete the set. Are these numbered becasue I see some legos when flipped over have an item number 3002 followed by another number

Thank You.

: )

Comments

• IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,082
    edited August 2011
    Since the same LEGO molds can be used for most any color... they do not contain a color code on the bricks.

"Pat. Pend." goes back to the fact that in 1958 the LEGO Company got its' patent on the LEGO brick with tubes underneath. This was a Danish patent. Many of the early 1960s LEGO boxes have the local country patent numbers in very tiny letters somewhere on the box. Since most of these patents were still pending at the time, the company put "Pat. Pend" on most 1960s and some early 1970s LEGO items.

This was followed by a period in the 1970s known as "Pat. Pend. Erased"... where you can see inside the bricks that what used to be "Pat. Pend"... now there is just a mound (the old Pat. Pend. molds were "re-tooled" to no longer show the words, but you can still tell that they once were).

Then by the late 1970s, with the exhaustion the supply of old molds and parts... it meant that no more "Pat. Pend." and "Pat. Pend. erased" parts were found in sets.

Determining which sets had which type of parts is difficult at best.... since there were so many packing variations.

Unfortunately although Bricklink has 3001old (2x4 bricks without cross supports) and 3001 (2x4 bricks with cross supports... since early 1980s).... Bricklink does NOT currently have any differentiation between the Cellulose Acetate "Pat. Pend. parts, ABS "Pat. Pend" parts, ABS "Pat. Pend. erased parts", and those that came later (before the addition of cross supports on 2x3 and 2x4 bricks). So, although some sellers offer older parts... they have to put the differentiation into the "comments area" of the Bricklink parts... thus making it difficult to find older parts via a regular Bricklink part search.

And to add further confusion into all of this.... some parts, such as macaroni bricks, basically never had "Pat. Pend." on their curved 2x2 bricks... although a few molds with "Pat. Pend." must have been produced... since a few examples with that writing are known.

Welcome to the early years of LEGO (before 1980)... where "LEGO Mayhem" wins out.... and there are exceptions to most every rule! ;-)
  • bchowbchow Member Posts: 44
    very interesting information. Thank You I had no idea logos were so complex.