Hope the mods don’t mind, but I wanted to consolidate the info on improving the performance of the #10194
Emerald Knight. My running gear turned out a little different than other suggestions but I have captured the changes on a LDD file. Notes on changes below:
1. Use LDD file to build steps 1-4.
2. On step 5, the 2x Light Bluish Gray Plate, Modified 3 x 2 with Hole are ½ a lug forward of original placement.
3. Follow steps 6 -9.
4. On step 10, move the 30363 (Black Slope 18 4 x 2), 1 lug forward.
5. Do steps 12 and 13.
6. Replace step 14 with LDD instructions to build new steam chest.
7. I added 2x61678 (Black Slope, Curved 4 x 1 No Studs)
8. On page 55 (step52.5) replace the 32523 (Dark Bluish Gray Technic, Liftarm 1 x 3 Thick) with a 1x2 Lift arm. This compensates for the Modified 2x3 being forward of original placement. Does not affect operation.
Note: I could not get LDD to mesh the 12 Tooth Bevel Gears. The two gears shown on the ouside of the frame, go on the inside to mesh with the Bevel gears on the central axle. It is critically important to make sure that the powered axles are aligned the same way. When looking at it from the side, both axles need to look like this (+, +) and not like this (x,+).
Thanks to TheLoneTensor for pointing me in the right directions for the fixes and for getting me inspired with his nice MOC of a Berkshire.
Please PM me for the LDD file and I will send it to you.
Note, this also employ's ThomasB's gearing improvement for the EN http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28273&st=75
Incidentally, If you have #10194, you should seriously consider...
1) The mod above
2) This mod: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37468
3) Swapping the 5L drive rod lift arms with 7L lift arms
Those three, relatively minor upgrades serve to make the engine run much more smoothly.
Hope that helps someone!