Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Questions Regarding Custom Lord of the Rings Temple of Rohan "Castle Realm" Set

samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,248
edited June 2014 in Building and Techniques
Hi All,

I've been looking for another large build and recalled some discussion regarding a Temple of Rohan Lord of the Rings LEGO custom set. I had a few questions:

Where does one acquire instructions?
Is there a parts list?
How much did it cost to acquire all the pieces (and what year did you build it so I could adjust my budget for inflation)?

Thanks all!

Samuel

Comments

• rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    @Klatu003? ;o)
    klatu003samiam391
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 719
    Are you referring to Golden Hall of Edoras from Brickstruct? It is an awesome building. Mr. Klatu likes it on our living room table and keeps saying it is the best thing I have ever built.

Budget is hard to say - "several hundred dollars." I used a lot of parts on hand and bricklinked a bunch. The biggest issue is the arches that are now really rare. Stores that have them in stock have priced accordingly.
    3307 - Reddish Brown Brick, Arch 1 x 6 x 2 - Thick Top with Reinforced Underside
    Perhaps sub with "Brown" and work that color into the design to make it look right.

You can purchase the instructions and parts list for $16 from Brickstruct Warning - the parts list is a little dodgy, instructions are very good.

Here is the picture of the one I built. bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/242728#Comment_242728
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,248
    @klatu003‌ - Thanks for all that.

Over/under on $500?

How many pieces?

I probably would sub for brown if the red was to costly.

How is the parts list dodgy?

Sorry, to be asking so many questions, but it's great having someone else's experienced brain to pick regarding this set!
    5,274! The parts are mostly common (except for those arches). It depends on how much you have to buy. Figuring .10 a piece average then $500ish? He used non-bricklink numbers for some parts and then listed them again with bricklink numbers. I wasn't sure if they were to be added together or one was a correction of the other. I sent you a PM.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,138
    edited June 2014
    Hi Samuel,

The seller also puts it up for auction on ebay (which is where I purchased mine) although sometimes it might be more expensive than purchasing directly from his website due to other bidders. He is very quick though about sending all of the documents.

The documents you will receive are 3 pdf files which are the main instructions and then a Word document with the parts list which consists of 5,266 parts. The parts list indicates quantity, part number, description and color. The reason @klatu003‌ said it's a bit dodgy is because the part number sometimes doesn't match up exactly to the description or color. I personally went off of the color and description and compared the part number between BrickLink and Peeron.

I acquired all of the parts via Bricklink back in August/September of last year at a cost of about $500 (including instructions/shipping). All the parts were purchased new. Shipping costs were massively reduced by placing a HUGE order of about 3500 parts from one store.

Call me silly but I actually still have all of the parts still sitting in a big box, I just haven't gotten around to putting it together. I think I might purchase an acrylic display box like I did for the UCS Falcon so I don't have to dust it ;)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,411
    I started to MOC one but never finished it, but instead of using 1x6 arches, I had two alternatives:

Use the 1x3 gothic half arches instead (very common in reddish brown) or go for the raised 1x6 arch 92950.

Neither are exactly the right shape, but not too bad.
    Well, I dove in head first and ordered both the instructions and all the pieces today! Looking forward to receiving all of them and getting started on the build.

Many thanks to the following people:

@klatu003‌ - For providing a corrected parts list that I was able to use to order as well as answering numerous questions that I had.

@Renny‌ - For also answering lots of questions that I had regarding the set, as well as providing me with a store that was able to supply 1/3 of the parts.

@CCC- For the arch substitution idea... I've decided to use your 1x6 idea + 1x1 idea to keep the entire building reddish brown.

@rancorbait‌ - For connecting me with the right people ;o)

Thanks again everyone! I'll be sure to post pictures of the finished product.
    SirBenRennycarlqShibklatu003legomatt
  • DevastatorDevastator Member Posts: 66
    I'm definitely interested in this. For some reason, I don't like the idea of paying out for the instructions, but I'm sure I can get over that. Does anyone have pics of the interior? Maybe it's intentional, but the website doesn't show anything. It would be cool if it opened up like the Haunted House, but it doesn't seem likely.
    @Devastator‌ - The seller is a very nice person and definitely deserves payment for his efforts. He pours a lot of time into making these instructions. I have no problem paying him $16 for his efforts.

I love it when people share their instructions for free, but at the same time I don't mind rewarding people for their hard work and creativity.
    alijoezacklatu003
  • alijoezacalijoezac UK, NottinghamMember Posts: 515
    edited June 2014
    There is a fair amount of interior detail, throne, stool, banqueting table, bedroom, drinking barrels, fireplace. I don't think you'd be disappointed

https://imageshack.com/i/0dxfnej
    https://imageshack.com/i/mslhqrj

@alijoezac‌ -Thanks for the pictures. Looking forward to it!
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,090
    edited June 2014

I'm definitely interested in this. For some reason, I don't like the idea of paying out for the instructions, but I'm sure I can get over that. Does anyone have pics of the interior? Maybe it's intentional, but the website doesn't show anything. It would be cool if it opened up like the Haunted House, but it doesn't seem likely.

I find it funny that you feel that as I'm almost the total opposite - although I've never bought instructions on their own. Whenever I buy a Lego set I always consider the instructions a big part of the price that I'm willing to pay. While some are better than other I appreciate the time taken to work out how to make the model and put it into a cohesive guide.

Of course everyone sees the value in a different way.
  • DevastatorDevastator Member Posts: 66
    Thanks for the pics @alijoezac‌, it really looks great.

@Shib, I guess my mindset is that I pay for the physical bricks and the instructions are a courtesy. But then, I've never mocced anything like that. It seems like an awesome project, if I could ever get caught up. Lego really needs to stop making so many sets I want.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,090
    ^I get that, I think I only see it the way I do because I work in a design heavy environment (sign making) so I see the amount of time that goes into even the simplest pieces of design work. Consider hourly wage and these things start to seem cheap!
    klatu003
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    I have never seen that MOC before. That looks really good! There are definitely some changes I'd make, but overall a great effort.

I don't see myself spending that much on any MOC, but this one could be worth it.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    I have been admiring this MOC for quite some time, and debating. All this talk about it and the internal pictures pushed me over the edge and I just ordered the instructions. Now where the heck am I going to put it? Time to finish the basement. I think $16 is worth it for an effort of this magnitude.
    The instructions are very professional and easy to follow. The build is massive at 5,200+ bricks. I was happy to support Kevin's work for the price of $16. He would need to sell alot of copies to make the time invested a decent hourly rate, I'm with Shib there. I just wish he would design more Lord of the Rings sets. He did mention a proper sized Helm's Deep as a future effort.

When completed it is very sturdy and can be moved without falling apart, if you pick it up under the base.

Shib
    @klatu003‌ - He said he would send me pictures of the Helm's Deep when he finished (which he said is soon). I'll be egging him on to do a scaled effort of Minas Tirith next :o)
    alijoezacklatu003
    You know, I started designing a UCS Minas Tirith in LDD, but then I got tired of seeing white so I moved in to something else...
    Andor
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,543
    edited June 2014

...but then I got tired of seeing white so I moved in to something else...

That must have been a BIG set - you moved in? ;oP
    *moved on ;o)
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 549
    A minifig scale Minas Tirith would indeed be massive; see Mark Kelso and Chris Phipson's from 2010: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/276704

For those with a slightly smaller coffee table, Li Li put together a beautiful micro-scale version in last year's Middle Earth Lego Olympics: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/380993

For your reverse-engineering assistance, both builders provide WIP photos.
    klatu003
    ^The mico-scale Minas Tirith is beautiful. Very elegant. One thing that I'm doing with my lamo-MOC is make the outer wall black (as it is in the book.) It was built by the same art/material as Tower of Orthanc. It makes a nice contrast, but I ran out of black bricks and I keep waiting for PAB to stock them to get them cheap.
  • NellyNelly Member Posts: 77
    @klatu003 - what technique are you using on the outer walls? I have been buying 1x2 bricks and have yet to put any together. I was thinking about the slight 'bend' technique, counting on that tiny separation between bricks to give me a smooth curvature. It was that or the hinge method as used on the Helm's Deep build.

I for one am awful at beginning any MOCs, and have been patiently waiting for something between the MF scale model and the micro-scale model, in terms of size. Something that any of us can afford to build and display.
  • NellyNelly Member Posts: 77
    ^Sorry, but I was referring to a Minas Tirith build above
    @Nelly - I used the 1 x 2 technique as a base, ran out of bricks, added some 1 x 4 x 3 panels and 1 x 5 bricks, ran out of bricks .... I hate to buy 1 x 2 black on bricklink, since they can be picked up cheaper at the PAB wall. But they don't seem to be showing up on the PAB wall. All my MOCs seem to stop with "ran out of bricks."

Check out this Minas Tirith project on Lego Ideas. It isn't UCS scale, but has a nice vibe to it that would harmonize with the rest of the Lego sets. Since Lego already has a LOTR line, it doesn't seem like they will approve this, but if it gets more support they might think about making their own version. Or not.
    Minas Tirith by NujuMetru.

He also includes lots of detail pictures, so maybe we can reverse design our own using his inspiration.
    klatu003 said:

But they don't seem to be showing up on the PAB wall. All my MOCs seem to stop with "ran out of bricks."

#1 reason I'm excited about a store opening up 5 minutes from my house. I've never been able to MOC much due to a lack of bricks (curse of the minifigure collector), but I look forward to hopefully do a little bit in my spare time utilizing my new PAB wall.

I think I was one of the first 100 supporters for that Minis Tirith project by NujuMetru, I hope it makes it. Definitely a set I would want to have, or at least MOC if LEGO never releases one.
    ^ or maybe we can get @KevBrickstruct to build/design an awesome Minas Tirith after he finishes Helm's Deep.
    samiam391alijoezac
    @klatu003‌ - I like that idea better.
  • ecbirxecbirx Member Posts: 6
    @ samiam391 @renny if you guys remember, what stores did you use on BL to source your parts? I've got the instructions and could use help getting pointed to the better stores on BL. Thanks in advance!
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,138
    It was a while ago but I do recall placing an order for a large portion of the parts from a store called Queen Creek Bricks. Whether they still have those parts or have them in quantity, I don't know.

I wish I could provide you with all the places I sourced the parts from but those orders have been purged from my order history.
    ^ Hopefully Queen Creek Bricks didn't get flooded yesterday!
  • KevBrickstructKevBrickstruct Member Posts: 42
    Hi guys, when I designed it, I placed orders from many stores on Bricklink. I try to use Sellers that live close to me…as well as have GREAT FEEDBACK. I prefer to have my parts faster, rather than trying to see who might have a certain part cheapest!
    Thanks so much!
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    I sourced all the parts recently from my collection and from BL. They are all sitting in a box ready for sorting and assembly...sometime this winter. Anyway, @ecbirx, I would say in general for a large project like this see what you have in your collection, then go for the rare parts first, then create a wanted list and find the rare parts and order them first, and then use something like Brickwizard (http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/289853) to go from there. I ended up placing 9 orders even after getting a fair chunk of pieces from my collection. You can PM me if you want more guidance.
    Awesome, looks like a good tool. I will tackle it tonight, thanks for the offer of help. I might just need to take you up on the offer; not so computer savvy on my part. :)
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,070
    Sorry to bump this thread again. I've bought the Instructions for the golden hall a few weeks ago and i'm currently in the process of sourcing pieces together (1/3 finished,yeey me). Before i start building i would like to get me a custom acrylic box to keep it save from dust (yeah and of course children fingers),so my question is can anybody who has built it tell me the measurements of the finished set? I guess the width/depth is exact the 48x48base so that's about 38/39cm (i'm located in Europe) but how high is it?
    any help is much appreciated here :) also curious to know what the best looking solution is to replace the 1x6 arches?!
    @Diggydoes -The height is 14" (35.56 cm) at the top of the final little dormer (I might be slightly off since the highest point isn't at the edge and I eyeballed it.) The horse head fountain in front sticks out beyond the baseplate a bit.  So give yourself a little extra space. 

Good luck building Helm's Deep, it really is spectacular. 
    ^i think you mean temple of Rohan. Someone's mind is on their own project apparently ;)
    klatu003
    samiam391 said:
    ^i think you mean temple of Rohan. Someone's mind is on their own project apparently
    Was wondering the same ;)
    But thanks a lot for your help!
    My Rohirrim are looking for a new/old home ;)
    bluedragonEKSamSethro3klatu003snowhitie
  • kwkwkwkw USAMember Posts: 1,161
    I just ordered all the parts to the Edoras build. I'll be building it sometime next month after I move into my new place. @Diggydoes to replace the 1x6x2 reddish brown arches I just ordered 1x6x1 reddish brown arches and will add 1x1 reddish brown bricks under each arch leg.
    samiam391Diggydoes
    kwkw said:
    I just ordered all the parts to the Edoras build. I'll be building it sometime next month after I move into my new place. @Diggydoes to replace the 1x6x2 reddish brown arches I just ordered 1x6x1 reddish brown arches and will add 1x1 reddish brown bricks under each arch leg.
    Hmm @kwkw thought about that solution too, just not sure how it affects the overall look...i mean one day TLG has to come out with a 1x6 arch in reddish brown right?! ;)
    edited March 2015
    @Diggydoes ;
    I did what Kevin has already suggested, and used the 1x6x1 reddish brown arches and added an additional 1x1 under each arch leg. I attached a few pictures, and as you can tell it doesn't affect the overall look (in my opinion). They are the arches there in the "front" of hte building above King Theoden. Plus, you'll usually be viewing this from afar anyway, so something as small a replacement as this won't really be noticeable. 

thenosDiggydoesEKSamsnowhitie
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 376
    Does it come apart? Open up? It's so... What's the right word... Beautiful.
    @samiam391 thanks for the pics! I think it kinda changes the overall feel, especially on the front, but it still looks good, so i guess i will take the same changes! I really don´t want to spend such a fortune on those arches and like i said, maybe one day TLG will produce the updated arch version in reddish brown and i can replace the raised arches!
    thenos said:
    Does it come apart? Open up? It's so... What's the right word... Beautiful.
    Yes, it does. Unfortunately, I've never gotten good pictures of the inside due to the fact that whenever you remove the roof it's next to impossible to put it back without breaking something. There's a lot more detail than what my pictures show.
    thenos
  • alijoezacalijoezac UK, NottinghamMember Posts: 515

I used some brown arches when I couldn't get reddish brown.  You could hardly tell and I preferred the look - wood / stone blocks are rarely an identical colour ...

http://imageshack.com/i/ns6qfmj

• Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    This is one stud too high, but I wonder how it would look? https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=13965
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 503
    50 days to gather 6000 votes more and we (might) get a free PDF w the instructions for this Edoras:
    https://ideas.lego.com/projects/36278