Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Minifigures MMO Open Beta

I just started the download and I'm excited! Has anyone had a chance to play yet? What are your thoughts on it?

You can download the free open beta here:

http://www.playminifigures.com/en

Comments

• bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    The game is interesting but I still don't quite get the bigger picture of the game because I have just been sent around killing random pirates with no true story :/ still fun to collect the CMFs but from what it looks like with micro transactions the virtual figs may cost more than the real guys ;P
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited June 2014
    24 hours after playing it I've finally settled on - its crap. You take something that is full of possibility, creativity and playability (LEGO) and remove it all.
    sidersddlegodude0909090MrMaracaMan
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,869
    My main draw was collecting/seeing the new minifigures. After about an hour of combined play (in total) I had still only the 3 figures I'd chosen at the start and no real idea how I was meant to collect others.

The interface to upgrade the minifigs seemed confusing and there was some puzzle that enabled me to but plates on to boost stats, but again I didn't really understand what I was meant to do with it.

The individual challenges were fun, but soon repetitive (ignoring the constant respawning glitches which I imagine will be ironed out in Beta), and there seemd to be an emphasis on bashing stuff over building, which is odd for a lego themed game.

There seemed a number of opportunities for micro-transactions (buying crystals to unlock minifigures; granting access to side missions), but no real clue as to why I would want to do it.

All in all, I can see it working as another fun game on the lego site, but it doesn't really strike me as a big money-spinner they were envisaging.

If they'd have created the game around the LEGO MOVIE environment and plotline (different zones, saving the master builders from robots) then I think they would have been on to something a bit more solid in my opinion.
    Natebwyys4u
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,344
    i prefer the Chima game for this type of game play...at least there you can interact with others players and the missions seem to have a point. Character upgrades are simple and based on weapons. Also it is browser based too. This one seems too much work to play and not a lot of pay off. And you can only seem to get new figures by buying them and very limited at that (series 9 and 10). I wish there would be more selection for the starting characters (I so wanted a Barbarian).
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    My kids and I played the closed beta for about 3 days. I agree with the comments above - it is kind of confusing interface without a "big picture". That being said, it is pretty fun, and some of the boss battles do involve building as a crucial aspect.

I am generally skeptical about the viability of all new MMOs. I can see how this is awesome for general brand awareness and fun, but I can't possibly imagine it making money.

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Every now and then I look at some of "the stash" and see the now defunct Lego Universe badging on the sides of the boxes and wonder "how in the world did they screw that up?"
    legodude
    I missed out on Lego Universe. I just wasn't in the loop at that time. But I know it had a lot of fans that were very sad when it was shuttered.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 268
    I played Lego Universe for the last couple of months it was available. I found it enjoyable, but this game is pretty boring, and uninteresting.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,246
    I played for about an hour during the closed beta. Wasn't impressed.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,887
    edited June 2014
    to me the only real appeal is to see what different minifigures do as an attack / special attack. Since they are making it silly hard to collect the figures (totally random when you "buy" bags, it is going to be a pain. Beyond that, i'm not really impressed with the game either. I will try one month as a member just to see, but after that, it will be just if I am bored I suspect.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    I was in the closed beta and after downloading it from the slow servers, I tried it out. At first it seems like a Diablo clone, but quickly I realized that the controls were terrible, nothing like Diablo. They were so bad that I ended up dying soon after unlocking a few other minifigures. I quit playing at that point, and my daughter started playing. She quickly killed off the other minifigures so we looked to see how to get them back. The only way was to wait for 4 hours and the minifigure would be available to play again. It looked like you could do some sort of microtransaction to get them back immediately, but for a game aimed at kids, a setup like this would not be financially feasible if the kid wants to play and dies a lot.

I gave them some feedback about the terrible controls and encouraged them to rethink their respawn plans, so things might have improved since the early days, but the reactions to the game being boring isn't really making me too eager to try it again. I told them specifically to play Diablo 3 and make the controls that good. Unless they do revamp the game drastically, this might be a major failure.
    yys4u
    ^It's actually 4 minutes, the worst part for me was trying to leave and the only way I could finally find was turning the game into a window and then x-ing that :P The one thing I do like is that it doesn't take up to much graphics data, I was able to run ultra no problem with a few windows open but the boringness and micro transactions are a killer :/
  • legodudelegodude Member Posts: 137
    If this game didn't have LEGO as the medium, it would immediately be tossed in the never to be touched bin with all of the other generic F2P MMO's. Seriously that genera is the worst in all of gaming.

However since this game involves a quality product it was worth a try especially considering LEGO has usually made great games in the past like LEGO Island, LEGOLAND & LEGO Universe.

That said, I know a lot of people might be confused why they didn't make a sandbox building MMO instead. The answer is simple, LEGO does not want to moderate on the fly user created content. They would need a lot of staff to moderate it and it would be a potential nightmare considering the high standards of safety LEGO holds regarding digital play.

LEGO Universe struck a good balance between action and building though. Properties needed to be approved before begin viewable to the public. It got a lot of things right like gameplay, depth and polish. However it fell flat on making money. Subscriptions are a very tough thing to sell in games.

We are left with a conundrum, a LEGO MMO that has to be cheap to make and bring in money without harming the gameplay. LEGO Minifigures Online is a noble attempt but they played it a bit too safe. The first problem is trying to develop a game in tandem with a browser, tablet and client. As we all know the most robust is the client, and anything for a browser or tablet is going to be a serious downgrade in gameplay. Sacrifices had to be made. And they were.

The stuff I liked was the colorful environments, the Hub and variety of fig abilities. However the game is too linear with poor controls for my taste. In addition it is also highly repetitive and very generic.

That said we aren't playing the entire game as it was intended to be experienced. The story is obviously missing, worlds are missing, minifigs are missing, minigames are missing, PvP is missing, and DLC from real figs is missing.

Too early to call but it isn't looking good for LMO.

MrMaracaMan
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,214
    I haven't played it, and I probably won't play it.

But I can see it making money if you purchase a CMF and that unlocks something in the game.
    bobabricks
  • 09090900909090 Member Posts: 47
    I decided to give playing it a try after I saw an article on the main page. I have played for a hour or so- I unlocked Pirate town and did some of the Pirate trials. I must admit that the world looks great; there are many interesting locations- pirate towns, ships, prisons et cetera (I just remember how much I miss Pirates....) a huge variety of environments. Gameplay, however, is a bit repetive.
    The game lacks creative gameplay elements- despite being "LEGO" game, we barely get something to build and even if we do get something it's something like a sign post- a bit boring, isn't it? Furthermore, the gameplay mainly consists of fighting and collecting various collectibles which can be used to upgrade your characters and so on. Fighting gets repetive fairly quickly and there isn't much to explore and do besides various subquests and quests. It's all about fighting & gaining experience & leveling your character.

The story is decent, not great though, but for its target audience, which is I pressume- 8-10 year old kids- it's okay. All in all, it's a mediocre game in my opinion and also the fact that it's a 'click and fight' game might very likely mean that this game will have the same fate as the previous LEGO MMO. I just can't imagine someone playing it for more than a few days without getting bored.
    I gotta say. I kind of like that it is easy enough for my kids to play solo, but with some complicated parts that they need me for. So that we do it together. I don't think this was necessarily by design, but it works out well.
    @CCC 's idea is great! I hate paying micro transactions, they're a bunch of hippy, dippy boloney but if you could unlock a minifig and maybe a few hundred diamonds I could live with it, especially now that Lego has once again jacked up the prices on CMF's.
  • Wil348Wil348 Member Posts: 240
    It's an alright game, but not as captivating as LEGO Universe.
    bobabricks
    After playing a bit more with my kids this weekend, I think the most interesting thing for me is rapidly switching between minifigs: defense, building, attacking. That is pretty new to me.

Then again, I mostly maxed out my prime gaming at Super NES and only rarely play LEGO Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc with my kids on Wii so I am not much of a judge.
  • Wil348Wil348 Member Posts: 240
    I haven't touched the game in nearly a week. We got a new laptop on the weekend so I'll try it on max settings. Gameplay is alright I guess, nothing special but nothing awful. I've played far worse.
    I wish there were an option to trade mini figures within the game and also that the odds of getting a figure from quests wasn't so skewed. I played close to 15 of the pocket adventures where a figure is a possibility the other day and got one figure, and it was a duplicate of one I have. Which brings me to another point, currently if you get a duplicate figure you just get a star bonus and get several hundred stars. I think it would be cool if you got a souped up figure. Like bonuses in attack, defense and creativity across the board. That way you could end up with a really cool figure even if it wasn't one of the more sought after ones. Just some thoughts from my play time so far.
    bobabricks
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534
    I got into the closed beta shortly b4 it closed but I don't really care for it that much.

I went through one area in the pirate relm just to learn a short time later that it was something I officially had to do on my challenge list but i didn't like the level the first time so why would I want to trek through again!. and there's a second area that has a mess load of pirate skeletons that I have to get through but I can't b/c the ones I beat regenerate new ones and I can't just rush past b/c they swarm together so it looks like the only way to really get through is get at least one other person to help me.

Yea... that's REALLY how I want to spend my MMO time - waiting for enough people to be able to clear an area.

Odds of me playing again? Maybe if I REALLY need something to kill time.
    I still don't know about this game, it seems like a big huge advertisement... that you have to pay for :/ I also found a bug where I bought a minifigure bag and didn't get it but still lost 750 diamonds. I did write a bug report so hopefully that gets cleared up.

@CCC 's idea is great! I hate paying micro transactions, they're a bunch of hippy, dippy boloney but if you could unlock a minifig and maybe a few hundred diamonds I could live with it, especially now that Lego has once again jacked up the prices on CMF's.

I think this is the plan for series 12 if rumours are to be believed. Whether the CMF code unlocks the exact figure or just gives extra diamonds etc to allow you to choose what figure you want to unlock in the game I guess remains to be seen.

bobabricks
    OK then maybe that's why the prices stayed jacked up maybe after this the prices will go back down but I doubt it.
    I am surprised that after just a few days of casual playing, my kids and I have reached the level cap of 20. So while there still are some quests to do, the interest will definitely flag now....
    Found this new link on the Lego website
    http://www.playminifigures.com/en/got-lego-minifigures-online-code

Seeing as I have no code, it seems odd that they are already telling me I've found the barbarian.

It does make me wonder however if the s12 unlock codes will be time dependent. So whatever the code is it will unlock that months/weeks character.

This is a system I hadn't thought about, but would mean kids would want to be buying figs at regular intervals to get a code so they could unlock the current available character online.

Thoughts?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,214
    There is a final deadline ...

Note also that it will not be possible to redeem this code after December 31st 2014.
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 549
    I've had a go at playing it just now. I've not played an MMORPG before, but I don't like the controls: it was too easy to get stuck attacking something, not attacking anything, or moving uncontrollably.
    Other than that it was okay.
    I dusted this off and played for a bit last night. There are some small improvements: more play areas, finding of minifig parts that you can build or swap instead of whole minifigs. I'm not much of a gamer, but I think this game is pretty fun.

It will be interesting to see how the tie in with CMF Series 12 goes. That will make or break the game, I think.
    does anyone know how to beat that pirate captain guy in the 'pirate trials' thingy? I had nothing better to do last night so I started the game again and I can't beat him!

I have the plumber, Cyclops, maiden starting crew and the white mech series 9 guy.
    I don't remember doing anything special for the Pirate captain....
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,503
    0909090 said:

I decided to give playing it a try after I saw an article on the main page. I have played for a hour or so- I unlocked Pirate town and did some of the Pirate trials. I must admit that the world looks great; there are many interesting locations- pirate towns, ships, prisons et cetera (I just remember how much I miss Pirates....) a huge variety of environments. Gameplay, however, is a bit repetive.
    The game lacks creative gameplay elements- despite being "LEGO" game, we barely get something to build and even if we do get something it's something like a sign post- a bit boring, isn't it? Furthermore, the gameplay mainly consists of fighting and collecting various collectibles which can be used to upgrade your characters and so on. Fighting gets repetive fairly quickly and there isn't much to explore and do besides various subquests and quests. It's all about fighting & gaining experience & leveling your character.

The story is decent, not great though, but for its target audience, which is I pressume- 8-10 year old kids- it's okay. All in all, it's a mediocre game in my opinion and also the fact that it's a 'click and fight' game might very likely mean that this game will have the same fate as the previous LEGO MMO. I just can't imagine someone playing it for more than a few days without getting bored.

This is basically what MMOs are, repetitive and only serves to better your character.. While OK for most ideas, the problem is LEGO is far more than that and I think the video games really show what LEGO COULD do if they wanted to put the effort into it. Heck, Minecraft shows how good a LEGO MMO could be.
  • AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    edited September 2014
    I've played and it's pretty fun. If have to say I like Lego Universe better so far. But for some reason I am not friends with Captain Pete, so I can't go any farther in the story. :'( Help with this would be appreciated.
    You did all the Pirate challenges? The dodging cannon balls and such?
    Andor
    I'm starting to enjoy this more...especially when I play with my daughter....it did help using the code for the Barbarian as he is my favorite CMF.
    Natebw said:

you mean the first area with the pirate trial or the second with the longer run further down?

when I got into closed beta originally, it's a yes on the trial but no on the open since I can't remember how to beat the captain. second area was attempted in closed but kept getting ambushed and haven't attempted it in open.

• AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    Natebw said:

I think so I'll have to check.
    I think I left off where we are part of a pirate crew, but I'm not allowed to go on the boat because I'm not the right level.
    I finished the entire game before the the empire world came out but now when I tried to get into the empire world it says I need to complete the rest of the space world which I have completed. :/
    I was able to find it out. Just had to do redo the second half of the space world. The mythological world is a time and a half. :P
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,261
    I got my first batch of S12 mini figures today and have no interest in the game codes so if anyone wants them send me a PM and I'll send them over
    Shib said:

I got my first batch of S12 mini figures today and have no interest in the game codes so if anyone wants them send me a PM and I'll send them over

I'm assuming that the codes are the same for each figure. Eg my code for the Hun would be the same as your code? If so, I'm surprised I haven't seen a full list online yet.
    Codes appear to be unique (all my figs were unique except 2 wizards which had different codes)
    I think each code is unique. Can they be used twice then?
    Codes are unique so single use pressumably.
  • Yes, codes are indeed unique. All codes distributed thus far (with the exception of the Barbarian preview code (which is WLJWERPBLMNX)) are unique and single use only when entered at register.playminifigures.com

@Shib‌ I don't suppose you have given away your S12 game codes yet? If so, I would be very, very interested in them. I also work with the LMO wiki so some in-game images would be nice.
    Anyone have any idea if there is a specific way to get the Chicken Suit guy in the game or if it is just totally random?