Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

1592: Town Square alternative versions help

legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
edited August 2011 in Everything else LEGO
http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=1592-1

Recently people mentioned they'd like this set to be given the Lego Revisit - (which i completely failed to notice in the announcements section, and forgot to vote - but my vote would DEFO go for this set too as it was one of (if not THE) first major set I ever was bought).

However, (and the point of this thread), I noticed that websites mention several versions of this set were made, which tallies with my memory of it being slighlty different to the one shown, so...

Does anyone have links or images to any earlier/alternative versions that this set came as. I'd love to see the exact set that I once owned again - especially if i could rebuild it again.

Comments

• legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited August 2011
    ... actually, i'm beginning to wonder if my memory is wrong... but I just can't seem to recall the round brick 'plant-baskets', or the tall tree, and the big townhouse on the left seems different... am i imagining things?

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,635
    There are I think a number of versions which only differ with respect to the flag hanging outside the castle; there are versions with the Dutch flag and others, as well as the version with the Union Jack.

Lovely set !
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,270
    edited August 2011
    The 1592 set came in 2 major variations... the 1980 UK Weetabix promotional version with a sticker sheet that shows the UK flag, "FISH AND CHIPS", and other UK signage. You had to send in some proof of purchase for Weetabix Cereal.

There must have been some of these leftover at TLG after the Weetabix promotion ended, because the SPIELZEUG-RING association of stores in Germany offered the UK version as a limited edition in their trade magazine to toy customers in the early 1980s.

In 1983 the Unilever Corp. Dutch version with Dutch flag and "SOEP MED. WORST" sticker variation was sold in the Netherlands. You had to send in UNIX soup labels to get this promotional set. One Dutch collector acquaintance had 2 brothers... and their parents got 3 of the same set for them as part of this soup promotion. Ironically TLG must have again had some of the older UK versions available... since of the 3 sets that the Dutch brothers got... 1 of them was the UK version.
    Here are the 1980-83 UK version image and the 1983 Dutch version image of the 1592 sets.... These images are from my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide (1949-80s) on CD - Chapter 12 - LEGO Promotional Sets. I wrote this guide 3 years ago.
    Yep, it does look like i MUST have had the UK version after all, as it apears there were no earlier versions, but I just don't seem able to remember parts of the set being the way shown. I'll have to check the parts list, and see what i'm missing from my collection...
    cheers everyone
  • tsitsi Member Posts: 34
    Hi,
    >but I just don't seem able to remember parts of the set being the way shown
    maybe it's the related set 1589?

ThomaS
    edited August 2011
    ThomaS.... you beat me to the punch! ;-)

Yes the 1978 Weetabix promotional set is somewhat similar to their 1980 Weetabix promotional set.

Legomatt... you probably have to go no farther than to check the road plates... the earlier set had a pair of "T" plates, while the later set had one "T" plate and one curved plate.

Here is a copy (from my collectors guide) of the earlier Weetabix promotion...
    Nice suggestions guys, but it was definitely the town square, with the big yellow castle/museum facade in the centre, a little shop at one end, and (i thought another shop... but maybe I was so young i've just forgotten the grand house). The little black top-hatted statue. Corner plate, T-junction plate. Marching blue/grey soldiers.

Everything is right, it's almost exactly as I remember, except for minor details - which i guess are easily forgotten over the years. When i get a good spare moment, i must try to rebuild it from my collection (i know i'm missing some bits that were probably lost or damaged during childhood, but i should still have almost all of it, having never thrown out or sold any lego)...

Anyway, I do believe now that it was the town sqaure set, and my memory was just mistaken. (I wonder, what would they do, if they did update the set?).