Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

12 things that the £1,400 UK dividend could buy

MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
edited June 2014 in Everything else LEGO
The commenters on The Guardian are having a field day, first the female minifigure set, then this... http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/05/uk-government-denies-patronising-scottish-voters-lego

More importantly, does anyone recognise the torso of the hot dog customer?

Comments

• VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,506
    One could say "What are the Treasury doing spending my taxes on lego???"
    "Mr Cameron, give me a tax refund and let me buy my own lego.... !!!" :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,214
    If they had done a fortnight in a Glaswegian B&B&B, they would probably had a deal. :-)
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,520
    So if the Scottish leave the UK, does everyone else get £1400?
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited June 2014
    Looks like they were actually stock images provided by LEGO, our esteemed leaders couldn't even be bothered to take their own photos...
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,377
    edited June 2014
    Methinks there's a bunch of people having a huge sense of humour failure here..... A patronising campaign, is it ? No more patronising then being told "Everything will be OK" when there's no clarity regarding what your currency will be, how much of the shared national debt you'll have to shoulder, and whether big business will make good on their threats to run for the border in the event of independence. If I was trying to decide how to vote I'd find that rather more patronising. IMHO, of course.

And as for LEGO, I assume they're getting involved because their stock images are allegedly being used without permission. Because otherwise it's none of their business what people use their bricks for, right ?
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,261
    ^they might have a small case based on Minifigures being used (as they are technically characters so might have rights attached) or having their name on the top of each stud might give them a small argument, but you can't really see the name in any of the pictures. If however they have used Lego's stock images without permission it's an utterly rediculous situation and whoever was behind it needs to go back to school and start over, not using images without permission is so basic!
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    edited June 2014
    What a load of rubbish. Everyone knows the Scots are incapable of doing anything except eating sheeps' intestines and having drunken brawls.
    (^Sarcasm)

Seriously, it's not surprising the Scots want to leave when the central government doesn't seem to think they're the same species as us. I like it when people use Lego in campaigns, it adds fun and accessibility. But not for political propaganda, please. I'm glad Lego has told the govt. to remove the images.

Methinks there's a bunch of people having a huge sense of humour failure here..... A patronising campaign, is it ? No more patronising then being told "Everything will be OK" when there's no clarity regarding what your currency will be, how much of the shared national debt you'll have to shoulder, and whether big business will make good on their threats to run for the border in the event of independence. If I was trying to decide how to vote I'd find that rather more patronising. IMHO, of course.

This may be a cynical view, but in the eyes of the Scottish and of the media, the current government can do no right in this situation. And using lazy stereotypes (and probably incorrect ones at that) is just, well, lazy. What if you as an Englishman (for example) were told by Angela Merkel to stay in the EU because you would be able to buy 20 bowler hats, 30 umbrellas, 800 pork pies and a season's ticket to Lords' cricket ground with the money you save?
    TechnicNickBOBJACK_JACKBOBRedbullgivesuwindmmozzano
  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 534
    @drdavewatford We've already decided as a nation that if we can't use the Pound we'll just use empty Irn-Bru bottles as currency and to pay off any debt. Since there's little chance that the big business that makes Irn-Bru - Barr's, will "run for the border", I'm confident that everything will indeed be OK!
    scrumperStormKittyscottwb2010
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,377

@drdavewatford We've already decided as a nation that if we can't use the Pound we'll just use empty Irn-Bru bottles as currency and to pay off any debt. Since there's little chance that the big business that makes Irn-Bru - Barr's, will "run for the border", I'm confident that everything will indeed be OK!

Sounds perfect - good luck with that !

;-)
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,540
    Shib said:

^they might have a small case based on Minifigures being used (as they are technically characters so might have rights attached) ...

The minifigure is a registered trademark so TLG definitely have rights to it.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,810
    edited June 2014

What if you as an Englishman (for example) were told by Angela Merkel to stay in the EU because you would be able to buy 20 bowler hats, 30 umbrellas, 800 pork pies and a season's ticket to Lords' cricket ground with the money you save?

Finally the EU comes good. I have certainly run out of bowler hats. Where I can apply for this?
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,261
    ^ I was thinking exactly the same thing...I was also just imagining a big pile of 800 pork pies...mmmmm pork pies.
    Redbullgivesuwind
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    May have picked the wrong examples there. XD I specifically didn't mention how many gallons of tea you might be able to buy because I know that would be seen as a good thing. ;-)
    legomatt
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,810
    ^tea and pork pies? Now I need this subsidy.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/drooling-homer-simpson.jpg
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,520
    We can save Scotland some trouble, now they have shown they may want to leave, we need a referendum to get out of the EU, then we can have another to get rid of Scotland, our parting gift will be saving them the cost of the referendum for them to leave us.

This will be helpful for them as it will be a few Billion euros to get them going with there own parliament, rules and currency before they can apply to be in the EU.

The interesting thing is if we are no longer in the EU and Scotland are, will they have to build a "Berlin Wall" with set passport points, or will EU citizens travel to Scotland freely then "disappear" in the mainland UK not to be found again (except for claiming £40k a year benefits).

Now Bowler Hat, Tie and Tailored suit with tea and scones.

What, What, What.