Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10242 Mini Cooper - Images and video

bkprbkpr Texas, USAMember Posts: 295
edited June 2014 in Everything else LEGO
I hope it is the real thing, it looks fantastic!
ColoradoBricks

Comments

• MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    Looks fairly official to me, especially the video...
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    Wow, that looks great. And only $100!
  • bkprbkpr Texas, USAMember Posts: 295
    edited June 2014
    Heh, I thought the video was an advert and never clicked it. Watching now…

Yes, it does look great. I'm not a mini fan (would love a VW GTI personally), but the model itself might be too good to pass up. Looks to be really nice size to display on a shelf or zwoosh along the floorboards :)
  • Jabba_the_TaffJabba_the_Taff Member Posts: 211
    Looks amazing. There's a pretty convincing video with it as well. Great colour, great look, and a nice touch of humour too.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    Images are not watermarked and are credited Lego Group
    DiggydoesbkprdougtsBastaBuriedinBricks
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    Wow! Seriously, upon my first viewing of the model, I could not even tell that it was made out of Lego. Immensely impressive. I will be getting this.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Pin striping looks to be printed from what I can see, I hope so anyway. I'm not great with elements etc. so not sure if they will be available but it will be nice to build this in other colours, would love one in blue and one in red to go with it.
  • RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
    The VW van is fun, but I never got it. However, I find this much more enticing, not sure why.
  • LegoManiaccLegoManiacc Member Posts: 116
    edited June 2014
    That picnic basket is fairly disappointing, for a $100 set that's a bit of a deal breaker.
  • RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
    Like the cool cruiser, this model just looks fun to view and play with. For me, cool cruiser was the best recent car model (and super inexpensive), but even at the much higher price, this beats the cruiser.
  • tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 178
    ^^ You've got be kidding, right? That picnic basket is inspired, and a total bonus in a set like this. They even included the checkered blanket!!
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    edited June 2014
    vwong19
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,169
    Looks great on the outside but the steering wheel is waaay too big in the Flickr photos, no place for the drivers legs! Surely a smaller solution would have been better?
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,248
    I thought they did an amazing job with the VW but this to me just blows it out of the water. First day purchase for me.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,469
    I have to agree, this looks very good. I might even buy one.
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 327
    I was completely uninterested when I heard of this set, but like others have said, it looks amazing. A definite purchase!
  • bkprbkpr Texas, USAMember Posts: 295
    I'll immediately be changing that blue bottle to trans red.
    tomahawker
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    Must. Have. The. Mini. NOW!!
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    It's nice, but I wouldn't consider a moving steering wheel and gear shifter as "Functions" since they don't actually do anything..
    edited June 2014
    Joe has some nice images here too...

http://www.brickjournal.com/view/article/431/

• GoldJonoGoldJono Aberdeen, UKMember Posts: 215
    edited June 2014
    Wow! Even better than I imagined. Hopefully, they release a mini MINI Cooper poly bag, like the mini vw camper van.
    JessyDooDah
    GoldJono said:

Wow! Even better than I imagined. Hopefully, they release a mini MINI Cooper poly bag, like the mini vw camper van.

That would be really cool..
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,550
    I wasn't bothered about this at all, but looking at it I might have to get it, it looks amazing. An instant classic set.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    edited June 2014
    @Kevbags, @LostInTranslation‌, is that WKD Blue? This set is a must have.
    caperberry
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    That is a gorgeous model. Potentially my favourite Creator set, surpassing even the VW Camper Van in my opinion.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    My eyes keep getting drawn to the front seats thinking the image has been deliberately pixelated.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,288
    ^I actually thought the patterning on the seats was great, reminded me of my mum's old mini, if the set was navy blue I'd have bought it for her! :-P
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,547
    @legoboy: now, if it was WKD that wouldn't send out a very good safety message would it? But we all know how much you love the blue stuff so if you want to believe that, go ahead.
    What else could the blue drink be though? Hopefully not GH325!!
    Mt first thought was the blue raspberry panda pops...searching the net, apparently they don't exist as they used to so can't find a picture of the blue ones

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,547
    Ahh, Panda Pops.... brings back memories of primary school day trips.
    ^for me it's memories of the village youth club. A panda pop and a bag of pick n mix! :-)
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    Fantastic! The definitely exceeds what I was hoping to see. I agree about the steering wheel though.
  • JessyDooDahJessyDooDah UK Member Posts: 228
    This is the set I've been waiting for!
    I drive a '96 Mini Cooper in British Racing Green, so there is no way I'm not getting this! :)
    LostInTranslationTheBrickLaddBrickDancerTechnicNick
  • CoviCovi BelgiumMember Posts: 299
    Too bad it will have some stickers, but nevertheless a day 1 purchase for me. Really love the model.
  • rchaddrchadd Member Posts: 187
    i want! it will look great next to the VW camper.

is this a regular thing now for Lego?

Hoping they make a minifig scale london bus (old style routemaster) one day
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    ^Or a series one Land Rover.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,550
    I'm looking forward to (hopefully) another Creator Expert Train next year...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,314
    One in red, one in white, one in blue and "Get a Bloomin' Move On". Perfect.
    maniac
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Impressive...I may have to grab one as well once I have the funds.
    edited June 2014
    I also like that they made it right hand drive. Although I wonder how many people will shift the steering wheel over.

The ice skates are pretty cool too, better than the hose gun things on the VW.
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    Agree w/ others that this is a must own. Wow. Such a nice design and love all the little add ons like the spare and picnic essentials!
  • GoldJonoGoldJono Aberdeen, UKMember Posts: 215
    I was also thinking a micro build version would be great. mini mini MINI! Perhaps?
    Farmer_John
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,887
    Are those mudguards new or this windscreen part? Curious.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=62360
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    edited June 2014
    They are a windscreen part and I'm pretty sure it's that one, maybe the first time not in trans.
    I just noticed the indicator above the wheel arches. Lots of fine details.
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    prevere said:

Are those mudguards new or this windscreen part? Curious.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=62360

You're right, they're windscreen parts. The designer talks about them in the video. ;)
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,887
    It looks great, nice curves. But the reason I bring it up is that it'll make reproducing this in different colors more difficult.
  • Brinstar85Brinstar85 Member Posts: 42
    I never thought I'd be interested in a Lego Mini Cooper but this looks incredible and is a day one purchase for me. It surpasses even the VW Camper Van for accuracy and kudos to Lego for the price. At first sight this looked like a £100 set so £75 seems very reasonable indeed.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    May just have to demand this from my parents for my 20th in July. ;-) They keep complaining I never tell them what I want, so they asked for it. :-)
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,630
    Now we need a Mini MINI Cooper :)
    Legoboy