Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lord of the Rings Character Guide?

AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
edited June 2014 in Everything else LEGO
I'm been thinking that it would be cool if TLG released A Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit Character Encyclopedia, of course with an exclusive minifigure. Anybody think that we'll see this in a year or two?
dannyrwwicey117

Comments

• TheBigGuyTheBigGuy New ZealandMember Posts: 69
    I agree, it would be a great idea. I think we will more than likely see one.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    Well, I would certainly like such a book, but sadly I think LotR/The Hobbit is nearing it's end. After part 3 of The Hobbit is released I very much doubt we will ever be seeing any more from LEGO.
  • AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    Want would you want the exclusive minfig to be?

Well, I would certainly like such a book, but sadly I think LotR/The Hobbit is nearing it's end. After part 3 of The Hobbit is released I very much doubt we will ever be seeing any more from LEGO.

True, but just because it looks like the end doesn't mean it is.

• texaspetetexaspete U.K.Member Posts: 56
    Surely the end would be the time to release it. With the two Harry Potter books, one came out at the same time as the last wave and the other came out at the time the last wave was disappearing.
    bobabricks
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,287
    I'd love one, perhaps with a twilight form wraith or Gondor armoured Boromir minifigure. I really like having the Lego books, I wasn't that bothered about them at first, but it is nice to be able to go through them and dream about getting all those bits you missed out on :-P
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,313
    I'd buy one too, if released at the end. I hate it when they bring one out, then introduce a few more minifigs so the book is not complete. But it would need to depict some Gondor soldiers in it too.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    CCC said:

But it would need to depict some Gondor soldiers in it too.

Perhaps that could be the exclusive minifig then :o)
  • pincerpincer Member Posts: 32
    There are still some LOTR/Hobbit sets to come out later this year in line with the last film right? Do we know what they might be yet?
    I hope there is a minas tirith set with an oliphant or nazgul
    pincer said:

There are still some LOTR/Hobbit sets to come out later this year in line with the last film right? Do we know what they might be yet?
    I hope there is a minas tirith set with an oliphant or nazgul

http://brickset.com/article/9818/london-toy-fair-report

There are a few other toy fair reports about that say a little more.
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,518
    If they did one of these Collector Books, then the must have collectors figure is either Lady Galadriel, Glorfindel the Elflord Revealed in his Wrath, or Cirdan, on the side of light.
    Although Cirdan, on a Swan ship, would be a fabulous last collector model. :) :)

For the Dark side it would be Sauron from the second age, (a giant figure with ring, Iron Crown and Battle Mace) or maybe a Battle Troll in Olog-hai armour.

Of course you could say more are needed, but I doubt that Lego/DK would want to produce that many.
    Andor
    Rumours are that Galadriel is coming in December, in a Hobbit set.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    I think the LotR theme is not complete enough to get a book yet. They haven't covered enough subject matter to make a whole book - see what someone above was saying about the Harry Potter book coming out with the last wave. They waited till they had sets from all the major-ish events in all the movies. Now, if the rumours are true about the premature end of Lego LotR (which I'm inclined to believe) we are unlikely to get a book. If they do another wave which has some more RotK sets, we might be in the runnings.

As for the Hobbit by itself, I would say it's entirely possible. Everything seems to indicate that they'll make sets from the 3rd movie, and seeing all the other Hobbit merchandise/tie-in books, I would not be surprised in the least.
    I think there's enought for a hobbit/LOTR joint book.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    ^I don't know. Granted, I don't have any of the books here to compare, IIRC, the Harry Potter one included chapters on each movie/book and then some on other things. There have only been one or two sets from RotK, so I think it would just look odd to leave out key events and characters from each film.

But then again, it depends if this is supposed to be just a minifig encyclopedia (in which case they can do it with however many sets produced), or a summary of the product line, like the Harry Potter one (which is kinda what I was assuming we were all talking about)
    Withthe amount of sets I'd say a visual dictionary of both hobbit/LOTR would be more likely than just a character guide, but with all of the books, if you take away the padded cover for the Minifigures they aren't as big as they look.
    I wouldn't care what went in it. Put a decent army builder as the free minifig, let the book people sell it at £4 and I'll buy a dozen.
    Shib
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    Maybe I could see minifigs and sets guide, having just one or the other I think would not have enough content just because there isn't 500+ minifigs and sets like starwars. A book featuring both would be cool though :) for an exclusive minifig I would like to see a ring wrath as they are seen while wearing the one ring
    edited June 2014
    They did a Harry Potter minifig book, and there are 139 minifigs in that theme - 25 of them Harry himself.

There are currently 91 LOTR / Hobbit minifigs, so it is not that far off.
    The other thing to remember is that if DK think theres a market for it they'd put one out regardless of the amount of minifigures in the theme, they can do a lot of images to fill pages.
    bobabricks
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,346
    DC/batman got a visual guide and really didn't put out many characters.....they cover the video game in their a lot... I think Harry Potter is a valid comparison though. I think a visual guide that covers the video games too would be great for Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit
    CCC said:

They did a Harry Potter minifig book, and there are 139 minifigs in that theme - 25 of them Harry himself.

Oh, I thought that book was sets and minifigs, I could be mistaken I haven't read it for a while ;P
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,886
    I'm still waiting for the Exo-Force book.
    Bumblepants
    ^I think your hopes are a little high there :P
    andhe
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,886
    Fine, maybe we'll get that Galidor book.
    Bumblepantsbobabricksandhe
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 721
    Purely anecdotal experience. Watching the last wave of LOTR sets languish on the self of a local retailer at 20% off, where they offer an additional 10% or 20% in coupons on a regular basis, my hopes for LEGO considering a third wave of LOTR are low. We need a Minas Tirith.

Minas Tirith project on Lego Ideas
    This one is pretty nice. It isn't UCS scale, but has a nice vibe in a minifig scale. It would harmonize with the rest of the Lego sets so far. Since Lego already has a LOTR line, it doesn't seem like they will approve this, but if it gets more support they might think about making their own version.......

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/36275

I would enjoy a LOTR/Hobbit book, with or without a minifig. If there is a minifig, make it Eowyn!
    bobabricks

CCC said:

Oh, I thought that book was sets and minifigs, I could be mistaken I haven't read it for a while ;P
    There were actually two, one on sets and minifigs and one the character book with minifigs.
    bobabricksPitfall69
    ^^ it would need to be witch king for me as Eowyn is easy to moc.
    Supposedly the witch king will appear in one of the last wave of hobbit sets
    I have seen that. I hope that is not just eurobricks speculation, as I think just about every missing character has been speculated to appear!
    edited July 2014
    From what I understand it's another dol Guldur set, which has the witch king and galadriel - which sounds odd but it does line up with some of the additional Tolkien fiction that Peter Jackson is likely to have used. If it turns out true I'd be happy for the figs, but not more dol goldur
    bobabricksklatu003
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,901
    In all reality any fig that came with a visual/character guide is likely to be a Bilbo or Frodo variant. Or Batman.
    CCCbobabricksplasmodium
    Don't rule out Gandalf.
    ^ I'd but it if it was Gandalf the Tartan, or Gandalf the Tie-Dye
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,807
    would have to be old Bilbo if the book covered both LOTR and Hobbit
    bobabricks
    CCC said:

Don't rule out Gandalf.

I still want to see a LOTR advent calendar just for a Santa Gandalf XD
    plasmodiumdannyrwwandhe
    Venunder said:

If they did one of these Collector Books, then the must have collectors figure is either Lady Galadriel, Glorfindel the Elflord Revealed in his Wrath, or Cirdan, on the side of light.
    Although Cirdan, on a Swan ship, would be a fabulous last collector model. :) :)

For the Dark side it would be Sauron from the second age, (a giant figure with ring, Iron Crown and Battle Mace) or maybe a Battle Troll in Olog-hai armour.

Of course you could say more are needed, but I doubt that Lego/DK would want to produce that many.

I like what you said about all those minifigs. And that gives me an idea that any character that Lego doesn't included in set. could be put in a collection called, "The epic and essential LOTR character collection."