Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Worth Buying a Full Box of Minifigures?

EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
Hi all,
I'm thinking more and more of the merits of buying a full box of 60 minifigures, (specifically the Simpsons) and selling them on eBay. By my math, I can keep a full set, and still make a bit of money by doing this. Would it be best to sell them sooner, while the hype is up, or play the long game, and hold onto them for say 12-18months? Does anyone here have any experience doing this, or any thoughts for and against?

Thanks!

Comments

• joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    After fees and postage I've been clearing £39 a set plus about £25 for the spare 12. I have taken a set out of each box and sold the rest for £103ish.

Depends what you're paying for a box but that nets me £15 plus a free set per box.
    FollowsCloselyNorlego
  • MojoestMojoest UKMember Posts: 474
    During Smyths 10% off weekend last week you could pick up a full box for £117 so I got one then as it worked out at £33 off the retail price of that many. I'm planning to put them away for a couple of years then sell them on ebay sealed after feeling them to id them.

I'd be interested to know where other people get them from though as £88 for a box is much better and other dealers I know said they had managed to get other series boxes for around the £70 mark towards the end of each run (although they've found that difficult this time round as the movie ones came to an end).

Are there wholesalers that sell them, or is it more a case of who you know, (and I get that obviously those able to source really good deals aren't going to want to tell everyone), but whats the best more mainstream way to go about it?
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    edited May 2014
    Got lucky on 9 boxes from a friend who for Smiths (WH). He combined staff discount with their £5 off £15 and they ended up at about £85-87.

I'm guessing someone who worked at Smyths could have got a set for £95 ish in their 10% weekend?

I've got 2 sealed boxes that I'll keep, a full set on display and I gave 4 full sets to those who asked for a set, including my Smiths contact.

I haven't run the numbers but I'm guessing I broke even money wise, I have 2 sealed boxes, a display set and four happy Simpsons fans who are on the cusp of becoming Lego fans aswell.
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    Okay, I'll be getting them at $4 each. (Australian Pricing), which is 20% off local RRP. I'd only be pulling in ~$50 + my free set. Which seems to be about right according to Joel.