Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

In the minority?? - female, and living in the centre of Middle-Earth

ModelMamaModelMama New ZealandMember Posts: 27
edited May 2014 in Introduce yourself
ModelMama, at your service.
As should be obvious, the Gandalf Arrives set took me out the Dark Ages. Quickly followed by Bag End (for me), Mill Village Raid (for my youngest child), ... you can guess the rest. How could a Tolkein fan from way back ever resist? It almost feels patriotic, when you know how small we are down here - heck, Gandalf's movie double used to live literally 2 minutes walk up the road from us. Everyone knew someone!
Encouragement from a far-too-nice hubby only adds fuel to the fire. He gives me 'flowers' now - of a certain plastic kind, of course. In lieu of all the faded sort that he never bought.
And for our last wedding anniversary, he insisted on Helm's Deep.
For the youngest's 11th birthday, we got to see TLM as a family. The three teenagers were blown away by it's quality. One of the only movies ever I will want to watch practically frame-by-frame.
Feeling somewhat daunted though.
Question: how many members here live in New Zealand?
and what proportion of total members, are female?
A chocolate fish to the most correct answer, but you'll have to come down here to get it!
(Once someone in the know has judged the entries, naturally).
klatu003Andor

Comments

• KirstyL21KirstyL21 South AfricaMember Posts: 27
    Hi ModelMama ... I too am a lady builder, not from New Zealand however but still Southern Hemisphere being in South Africa. I too am a Tolkien fan but did not get any LEGO sets. At the time funds were so limited and I tried to control my spend by only allowing myself to buy Creator Houses. Thought that was a good way to accumulate bricks but with only a couple of releases each year not being too heavy on the wallet. I also have a wonderful hubby who enables my addiction in exchange for support with his CD and Vinyl addiction. I think if I had started on LOTR I would be in the poor house by now ... So a Warm Womanly Welcome!
    ModelMama
  • ModelMamaModelMama New ZealandMember Posts: 27
    Thanks KirstyL21! Most of my LOTR have been Christmas / birthday presents, and I won't tell you how cheaply we got Orthanc as that wouldn't be nice. My hubby also on CDs... as in, hundreds and hundreds. So he understands the collector bug! I have tried hard to stay away from the Creator sets - as you understand, there's only so much money that can be justified in any one year. Great way to get bricks. Do you keep them made up for always, or take apart and MOC your own?
    Can't believe I spelt "Tolkien" wrong in my first post. Sigh.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    ModelMama said:

the Gandalf Arrives set took me out the Dark Ages.

Is that why it's your profile pic? ;)

Is that why it's your profile pic? ;)

Smart guess!
    bobabricks
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 719
    Welcome from another long time female Tolkien fan. Bag End was an excellent choice. One of the best sets in the LEGO LOTR/Hobbit selection.
    ModelMama
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    Another female fan here, I'm from the UK and adore the hobbit and LOTR sets.
    Bag end was a set that I simply loved building, it is probably my favourite build of all time.
    Am currently working my way back through the first wave of LOTR and absolutely loving it :-)
    ModelMama
    edited June 2014
    If you're ever down this part of the world, Legobutterfly, then the Hobbiton movie set is a must-see. Our family adored The Green Dragon - I want my next home to look and feel like that inn. In the meantime, maybe in my free time I could try to MOC it! Guess someone else has already done that.
  • oceanangeloceanangel Member Posts: 149
    Another female here as well :). I love the lotr and hobbit sets as well. I have a few which I've mixed into a display with my castle stuff. Sadly thanks to my cats, they are due a rebuild.
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    ModelMama said:

If you're ever down this part of the world, Legobutterfly, then the Hobbiton movie set is a must-see. Our family adored The Green Dragon - I want my next home to look and feel like that inn. In the meantime, maybe in my free time I could try to MOC it! Guess someone else has already done that.

It is a dream of mine to get out there and tour the sets, I believe one of my husbands colleagues went while on holiday one year and said it was amazing so I am very excited to try and make it happen :-)
    ModelMama
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited June 2014
    Hi .. another middle earther here, live in Auckland .. the only other North Islander I can think of off the top of my head is StuBoy, .. sure there are a couple more of us buzzing around, but really not very many - there's a bit of a 'hub' in Christchurch, but North islander AFOLs are super-rare IME. Seriously - there are about a thousand times more Mr Golds than there are North island AFOLs!

Tons of female AFOLs though... at the 'serious' events I'd say about 10 to 40% female depending on what country, and some of the most amazing lego models you've ever seen were created by women.. e.g.

carlqklatu003
    Thanks Si_UKNZ, we middle-earthers just know we're special. Or should that be, The Special?
  • KirstyL21KirstyL21 South AfricaMember Posts: 27
    edited June 2014
    ModelMama said:

Thanks KirstyL21! Most of my LOTR have been Christmas / birthday presents, and I won't tell you how cheaply we got Orthanc as that wouldn't be nice. My hubby also on CDs... as in, hundreds and hundreds. So he understands the collector bug! I have tried hard to stay away from the Creator sets - as you understand, there's only so much money that can be justified in any one year. Great way to get bricks. Do you keep them made up for always, or take apart and MOC your own?

WOW ... so long since I was here - you must think I am so rude to not answer. I am so sorry!
    So to my belated answer to your question: I do not keep my sets built for too long as I do not have any space for suitable display. And I must confess I love the act of building so I assemble and often take apart and store a model in one weekend only to start again the next weekend. All my sets are stored in their original boxes that I modify with partitions to keep the bricks divided. The only 2 models I have assembled and displayed are 2 Architect models of Empire State and The White House. I sometimes keep my daft little MOC's up for a few days, tinkering with them and changing bits and bobs. Then I take pics and dismantle and store the bricks. I am a bit OCD when it comes to keeping the bricks for a particular model in one place. The only models I have mixed the bricks for are the Winter Village series and that is because when I build them I build them all as a set piece.
    ModelMama
  • RadialRadial Member Posts: 1
    Another female. Senior.
    While definitely a Lord of the Rings fan, I have no sets. Just bought Legos when our son was of the age. He built, pulled a part and built again. Legos allowed him to realize in concrete form what was in his imagination. I am grateful for this outlet for his creativity.
    So while I am not a builder my reason for being here is to sell his sets or what is left of them to people who are. Did not realize how many unique pieces Lego made. Not expecting to make a lot or sell for the inflated prices on eBay. But I am using the old instructions to build as much as I can to find what is and is no longer. Hoping you can fill in the rest to complete the sets.
    @Radial - welcome! Hope you enjoy the building experience, as well as achieve your goal. Will be interested to hear what sets your son had. He clearly enjoyed Lego so - just as a thought - holding on to his collection while longer might be another option? - many adult fans now regret the loss of their childhood in plastic form!
    Also, whereabouts in the world are you? That will affect selling, as postage is an awful expense.
  • MajajoMajajo Member Posts: 7
    Hi ModelMama,
    I'm new and female so it's good to know there's other female builders here, no disrespect to the guys. I'm a member of an action figure forum that is predominantly male and they are a friendly bunch :)

I don't have much in the way of megabloks (or lego) just yet, I've only been building about two weeks but I'm loving it :)
    MJ
    @Majajo - don't know if I'd mention 'megbloks' too loudly on a Lego fan forum... thanks for posting though! As you say - no disrespect intended to guys - just good to know who's around. What's your favourite Lego set so far?
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    Hey, where's my chocolate fish? :)
    Andor
    @Si_UKNZ - well yes, I think you deserve it! - but your reminder is a tad too late, I was in Auckland last week - only get up there twice a year. Of course, I could post it.. ;) Are you going to the Show up your way later this month?