Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

AFOL evening in Manchester UK, 18th June

ame_uwagiame_uwagi Bolton, UKMember Posts: 41
The LEGOLand Discovery Centre in Manchester are hosting an evening for ADULT Fans of LEGO on Wednesday 18th June from 7:00 to 9:00pm.

More information and details on how to book are here:
http://www.legolanddiscoverycentre.co.uk/manchester/news-events/event/1498/afol-evening.aspx

I see that they are charging £12 a ticket (£10 a ticket and £2 tax)and it is for 16 year olds and upwards only.
StormKitty

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,453
    Meh, is it worth £12?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    No.
    edited May 2014
    No. There's very little to do for adults unless you enjoy searching for half decent car parts to zoom down a ramp. The miniland is ok but worth neither £12 nor having to venture into the Trafford Centre
  • Stvoyager04Stvoyager04 Member Posts: 117
    I just don't know where to start with the advert.

Firstly the headline font - an evening for adults; written in a child's writing...sigh

AFOL - Friends or Fans - I always thought Fans, but whatever right? Though when you click through to the ticket page it has both listed. A little consistency please.

Just my thoughts...
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    Its a chance for all us dateless wonders to go in without children. I've been in though, I wonder if we'll get to operate the machine to get bricks and go in the soft play. There really isn't much to do for adults, unless you want to go on the kiddy rides, build a duplo tower and knock it down and sing Friends Karaoke.

I suppose its a chance to meet fellow fans, but they're hardly enticing us in are they? No discounts, no special event really.

Reckon you can get it with a Merlin pass?
  • MojoestMojoest UKMember Posts: 474
    I only saw this event a few days ago and was considering going along, so wondered if there was any reference of it on here. After reading the comments here though I'm reconsidering. I've dropped the centre a message asking for some more details and will post what they come back with. I'm hoping its positive as I past within a mile or so of the TC on my way home from work so would be an ideal location for me to get to.
    StormKitty
    I got a reply:

This will be an exciting AFOL Evening Event at LDC Manchester.

Below is a list of what to expect from the two hour experience:

* AFOL MINILAND Competition and Prize

* AFOL Team-Build Workshop

* AFOL Master Model Builder Workshop

* AFOL Questions & Answers Session

* AFOL Master Model Builder Presentation

* AFOL Guest Builder and Model Display

* AFOL Questions & Answers Session

* AFOL Team Photo

Yes, all the different areas of LEGOLAND Discovery Centre attraction
    will be open for business during the AFOL Evening exclusively for adults
    to enjoy.

Please note that height restrictions on child specific rides still
    apply.

Please find below a link to our website with the event information:

http://www.legolanddiscoverycentre.co.uk/manchester/news-events/event/14
    98/afol-evening.aspx

Kindest Regards

Alex

Alex Bidolak | Master Model Builder

...... Height restrictions on rides.... Booooo! ;-p
    StormKitty
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,217
    Sounds like it might be worth a look, but it's kind of odd doing it on a Wednesday evening, I wouldn't be able to make it there in time after finishing work. Plus that seems a lot of things for a two hour event. Hopefully someone who goes can report back for us for future reference.
  • StormKittyStormKitty Member Posts: 268
    ^^ I am still thinking of venturing over for it. The height restriction comment has thrown me now, I can barely reach the top row of the PaB wall on a good day whilst on tip toes ;)
    Legoboy
    ^ well you could be on to a winner there then for the rides :-). I'm just hoping that they measure people in Lego bricks rather than feet and inches. Because well, that's just the way it should be.

One thing I did ask in my original email to them was whether there would be any giveaways/goodies/discounts and well as you can see, it hasn't been brought up at all, so I'm guessing the answer is no.

I think I might go along though as I haven't been to any sort of Lego event since I was a kid and Brick 2014 is still such a long way away.
    StormKitty
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    Alex is great fun. I loved his talk at Afolcon 2012. Hope you guys that go along have a great time.
    StormKitty
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    edited June 2014
    ^ I had tears in my eyes for the duration. I'd pay good money to relive that talk. I love ’im.

Edit:- Have started laughing to myself about it. Was so funny.
    LostInTranslation
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    Didn't you video it? I thought you recorded everything at Afolcon :-)
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    I wondered that whilst typing last night. I then went on to consider I might have given up recording through laughing so much. A good half a dozen of us were in hysterics for the first half of it but managed to straighten ourselves out I think - right up to the point when my phone's sat nav started directing me to McDonalds or somewhere "At the end of the road, turn left".

I have to say, there are few things I can look back on and think "that was proper funny" and start laughing but I remember just how many tears were shed during that half an hour.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    I think @silentmode posted recordings of the AFOLCON talks somewhere on the forum?
    He did for STEAM 2013 (http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/12537/talks-from-the-great-western-lego-show-steam-2013#latest) but don't remember seeing any from AFOLCON.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    ^ Maybe that's what I'm thinking of then.
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 542
    Not the AFOLCON part, I'd assumed (from the first year) that they contained confidential information.
  • indigoboxindigobox Member Posts: 470
    Interesting. I am debating making an appearance. Could be interesting to see what they do at one of these and talk about :D
    Well thats my ticket booked. Hopefully I'll see some of you there.
    StormKitty
  • ame_uwagiame_uwagi Bolton, UKMember Posts: 41
    I'll be there. I going to the food court for a bite to eat first.
    StormKitty
    ^ As @stormKitty has just pointed out to me it now looks like this is a free event according to the page on the LDC site, so if you've paid for a ticket like me then you might want to enquire about a refund. Will be good to see you there.
    StormKitty
    Yep, just seen on their Facebook page that it is now free. Now to get my money back.
    StormKitty
    Before I could call them, I received a call this morning from the LLDC saying that they are to refund me my money. I'll only spend it the shop anyway :-)
    StormKittyindigobox
    Im a little tempted to go now
    StormKitty
  • StormKittyStormKitty Member Posts: 268
    ^ you know you want to :)
    edited June 2014
    I have to get permission first... and i think it clashes with a meeting about the village fete. Jesus I'm so middle aged!
    StormKittyscrumperCoraHarrison
  • CoraHarrisonCoraHarrison Member Posts: 242
    I'll be there. Super excited, was supposed to go to Legoland but child-less I felt a little awkward, so this is perfect. I suppose the theory behind it being free is knowing that AFOL's are likely to spend more than the average person in the store so it works out. It's about an hour drive from Leeds on a good day so fingers crossed it'll be worth it :)
    StormKitty
    For those coming tonight Block magazine is in WHS in the main part of the TC already. In the comics section. There's about 5 copies left out at the moment
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,452
    What was it like?
    I'm told around 40 AFOLs queued to go in and they were initially treated with the kids tour (but not treated as kids!), i.e. the photograph, the 'factory tour' (with free brick), the rides, the tour of Miniland

Further into the centre many activities were taking place concurrently. 4D Films were being show in the cinema periodically ( I must take an umbrella next time) whilst the race challenge was very popular and plenty of imagination and competiveness on show. Two brilliant dragster style cars were leading neck and neck with the winner finally getting a Technic-cal advantage ;-p

The build a model area was very popular and Alex Bidolac, the Discovery Centre's own Master Builder had a good crowd for his presentation. Then it was over to the café area for the 'Guess the Set in the Box'. The winner got the set and it was one of the latest City themed Train systems (with over 900 parts).

A nip around the shop and the two hours was up. So quick, so compact and a lot of fun. It was great to chat to AFOLs I already new, great to see members from four different LEGO User Groups (LUGs) - 'Northern Brickworks', 'Brickshire', 'Brickish Association' and, of course 'Brickset'. More so it was fantastic to meet many new faces.

In conclusion, I worked best because it was free but this only meant I'd spend more in the well stocked shop (apart from a poor Pick-a-Brick section). These was plenty to do and the choice of what to participate in was entirely up to you. Inevitably the tow hours meant things had to be missed - like getting good photographs of the Miniland - but that means there is always something their for next time.

Lastly, meeting and greeting strangers does not come that easily to me and (and probably so to others) but I hope that with more events taking place, these strangers become more familiar and greeting them becomes more of a pleasure. Then the LEGOLand Discovery Centre can take credit for helping build up bonds in the AFOL community.
    LostInTranslationroxioStormKitty
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,453
    Huh, didn't realise they'd made it free...