are you getting good prices on ebay

NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
Ebay has changed and seem to be going away from auctions. There are fewer auctions now too. Difficult to set bin prices and more fun with auctions. So have those that sell on ebay noticed a difference? Are you selling less?
I have allready used up my 20 listings so have to wait until june... I suppose i have to plan better. But 20 is not a massive number.
Ebay seems to be pushing people over to gumtree too. I have used it a bit but ebay is quicker.

Comments

• SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    Why would ebay push people over to there free ad site?
  • NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
    They are advertising both gumtree and ebay on my local radio station. And 20 listings is not much, so people have to use gumtree to get rid of junk.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,876
    I hate to think of buying LEGO from a site with the word, "gum" in it.
  • greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710
    The problem with ebay is the huge percentage cuts they and paypal take from the final amount. Also annoying they take a cut from the postage costs now.

The other issue is the constant increasing postage costs here in the UK. Makes selling smaller items a waste of time.
    andheGreenArrow57
    ^I still use RM for polybags/parts has most still go through at 93p, anything else its just easier and cheaper to have Hermes come to your door.
    edited May 2014
    @Norlego, have Ebay restricted you to 20 listings for falling below standard or is it 20 because you are a new seller?.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,788
    ^ it's 20 free listings per month now for private (UK) sellers. Still have to pay final value fees of course.
    ^Thats terrible.
  • tom4086tom4086 Member Posts: 689
    ^ that's ebay!
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Works well for smaller sellers as those 20 free include BINs where as they were 40p. What do 99p auctions now cost?
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited May 2014
    Going away from auctions? The recent changes (US anyway) took away the free BINs if you don't have a store and added more free auction listings.

Ebay does suck overall, and I think they are simply gouging for what they can, while they can. Where's my silver bullet, peer-to-peer, no middleman selling model Google?
    @supertramp How could you think i was a bad seller.... I just hate paying 35p to list something might not sell.
    I have bought lego dirt cheap on gumtree so worth while looking? I mean 8kgs of castle for £30 or 25 kgs modern lego for £100 or 10 sets in good condtion for £56 that i made £50 profit on.
    So @prevere maybe you should have a look even if the name is dreadful or just post an ad and let buyers come to you....
    @cheshirecat 99p listings are free for the first 20 then 35p each. You can subscribe but it is £20 a month without any benefits i can see...
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    In the USA ebay traffic is down 33% as google has stopped sending traffic their way. Google states the reason as being ebay has an inferior search engine and their site design is below their standards. I would concur with that analysis.

Traffic is very poor on ebay. We moved on over to amazon 2 months ago as we could see the writing on the wall and both traffic and sell through rates are much, much higher on Amazon. We are now experimenting with FBA and will eventually have amazon fulfill all of our ebay orders as well. We are planning on being completely done with ebay by the end of 2016.

Longer term we have also seen a decline in Lego secondary market prices and have been scaling back on Lego in general since last November. A combination of poor ebay traffic and a heavily saturated market have made for dismal ebay performance, at least for us by our standards. The opportunity cost is too great to continue with ebay and lego.
    edited May 2014
    @Norlego, I didn't say you were a bad seller. i asked why you were restricted to 20 items per month. I didn't know that private sellers were limited now.

• joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959

^I still use RM for polybags/parts has most still go through at 93p, anything else its just easier and cheaper to have Hermes come to your door.

93p is a Large Letter though and technically Lego shouldn't go through as a Large Letter as it isn't paperwork. I already avoid one post office who refuse to send my Large Letter knowing that they have more than paperwork in them.

I sell quite quickly on ebay, usually expecting to sell within 2-3 days for most things. I price competitively though and usually offer free shipping as I have a current supply of free stamps. I currently have no auctions running and don't plan any to be honest.

Parcel prices are only going to rise again. Hermes have a contract with Royal Mail (who fulfil quite a surprising amount of Hermes' packages) that will expire later this year. RM will up their price to Hermes and they'll pass it on to us, it is expected to be 30-40% higher for anything below 2kg.
    Large letter doesn't mean just paperwork, Its just the size of the envelope, DVD's and CDS's count has a large letter.
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    It will be soon if as expected a new wave of change goes through only 3-4 months after the last. RM will not (or shouldn't) send Large Letters out of the country if they have anything other than paperwork in them and will implement this within the UK if they get their way. Hence the constant questioning of what is in the parcel? every-time I go into the PO. Toys, always toys...
    I avoid one post office whom often overcharge. One parcel - 2 different post offices - 2 different prices.... Madness. One makes sure all the lego falls to the bottom to charge more....
  • gifinimgifinim UKMember Posts: 174
    Glad I read this thread - I hadn't noticed eBay had dropped the free listings to 20. They send out emails about everything else they do, I wonder why they didn't send one about that?
    NorlegoKanohiBrickamore
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,788
    It's funny. I thought it was a bonus. I sell maybe only 5-10 things a month on there, always starting at 99p. I might do a few more valuable lots now, now that I can start them at a higher price and not have to pay if they don't sell.
    cheshirecat
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    ^ Lol, me too. I thought them offering me 20 free listings was some sort of promotion.
  • GreenArrow57GreenArrow57 GBMember Posts: 71
    For all those reasons, I stopped selling on eBay over a year ago, and I don't buy much from them anymore. It's a real shame, I did well with both buying and selling at one time. Talk about killing the goose that lays golden eggs! eBay's greed makes it unusable.
    FollowsCloselyNorlegobricknationy2josh
    ^ Plus let scammers misuse "proof of posting" on low value items. Really annonying to have to give people things for free and then get a negative....